Less Intrusive Video+Still Camera

bUU

I want to do justice to capturing the memories of upcoming trips, especially an upcoming Alaska cruise. I still have regrets about having inadequately resourced the capturing of our memories of a tour of Egypt 15 years ago, resulting in excellent diaries accompanied by terribly grainy digital photos. By the same token, I have very little tolerance for a device that requires much from me. I don't want something that requires persnickety tinkering to get it to produce great output. I also don't want something that is large or heavy, and really would prefer something that is no more onerous than how I suppose a police body camera would be to a police officer.

I've got my eye on this device:

http://akaso.net/akaso-ek7000-ultra-hd-4k-wifi-170-degree-wide-sports-action-camera-review/

I like it's small size and, in light of how rainy SE Alaska in June/July, the fact that it is waterproof. I have no allusions that the fact that it is 4K makes it future proof. I have a 4K HDTV now, and I have to assume that there will be something better coming along, but unlike in Alaska, at least I know now to utilize the full resolution of the device I have by way of ensuring I have more than enough blank media.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experiences with this or any of its competitors, with regard to capturing all aspects of an Alaskan cruise.

That looks almost like a GoPro...

• how do you plan to wear the camera? Head? Chest? Lower?
  • how do you plan to edit the content? Can your computer handle 4K?
  • what's the battery life like? 30 minutes? Do you have time to recharge? How much are extra batteries?
  • 4K..... how many camera cards do you plan to have on the trip? How many cards per day?
  • there doesn't appear to be image stabilization. Will shaky content be a concern?
  • I would not call this camera discrete... but the video quality appears to be decent.

I recommend also checking YouTube for image samples. Especially look for content inside a dark building and at night. This is where the camera may get weak without a light or flash.

Here's one vid....

Edited by xlxo

I want to do justice to capturing the memories of upcoming trips, especially an upcoming Alaska cruise. I still have regrets about having inadequately resourced the capturing of our memories of a tour of Egypt 15 years ago, resulting in excellent diaries accompanied by terribly grainy digital photos. By the same token, I have very little tolerance for a device that requires much from me. I don't want something that requires persnickety tinkering to get it to produce great output. I also don't want something that is large or heavy, and really would prefer something that is no more onerous than how I suppose a police body camera would be to a police officer.

I've got my eye on this device:

http://akaso.net/akaso-ek7000-ultra-hd-4k-wifi-170-degree-wide-sports-action-camera-review/

I like it's small size and, in light of how rainy SE Alaska in June/July, the fact that it is waterproof. I have no allusions that the fact that it is 4K makes it future proof. I have a 4K HDTV now, and I have to assume that there will be something better coming along, but unlike in Alaska, at least I know now to utilize the full resolution of the device I have by way of ensuring I have more than enough blank media.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experiences with this or any of its competitors, with regard to capturing all aspects of an Alaskan cruise.

Did you read the first paragraph of the ad -

"If you’re an adrenaline junkie and are into surfing, cycling or skiing, then the perfect way to record your adventure from your point of view is through an action camera. There are tons of videos online posted by action camera users showcasing their experience. Using action camera’s bring out a more realistic feel to the video. They are high-quality video producing cameras which are light in weight, are small in size and can survive almost any condition. They can be mounted or fixed directly to your helmet, surfboard, your chest or can be placed in a housing, making it a rugged and durable choice for extreme sport enthusiasts."

You are planning to buy a camera designed for people who do active sports, not for people who plan to take photographs. What group are you in? IMHO, buy a camera, not a sports video camera.

I repeat what I said from a previous post - you are over stressing about details that are unimportant. I don't see how you can possible enjoy AK with that attitude. However, different strokes for different folks.

DON

...resulting in excellent diaries accompanied by terribly grainy digital photos. I have no allusions that the fact that it is 4K makes it future proof. I have a 4K HDTV now, and I have to assume that there will be something better coming along, but unlike in Alaska, at least I know now to utilize the full resolution of the device I have by way of ensuring I have more than enough blank media.

In 2007, I bought a 10-megapixel DSLR. Last year, I bought a 50-megapixel DSLR. It's not all about the pixels, but you do realize that "4K" is only 8 megapixel, right?

If you want to shoot video, you HAVE to be willing to edit video, which means spending more time reviewing 100% of your footage than you spent making the footage, with enough computing power to tolerate that. No one, and I mean no one, will be willing to watch your unedited footage: they will get up to make popcorn FOR YOU, then disappear.

I realize that my view of "portable" is far beyond everyone else's view, but I take the right cameras for the job, and the right lenses. That usually means 30+ pounds of equipment when you factor in the whole shebang if I'm on an Alaska cruise. My wife prefers easier and lighter choices, but that still means 10 pounds of gear for her. If you want good Alaska pictures, get a good superzoom point&shoot, or a bridge camera, or mirrorless, or a DSLR. Rent the right thing if it doesn't make sense to buy but makes sense for this cruise. Buy it months before your cruise, and LEARN it inside & out by challenging yourself in new and unique conditions (zoo, park, gardens, city streets, night).

You are planning to buy a camera designed for people who do active sports, not for people who plan to take photographs. What group are you in?

Neither. I'm someone planning to take videos of an Alaskan cruise, within which I may want to capture moving water, falling ice, jumping whales, etc. Isn't this the right kind of device for that?

If you want to shoot video, you HAVE to be willing to edit video, which means spending more time reviewing 100% of your footage than you spent making the footage, with enough computing power to tolerate that.
No question, and I've done it in the past, though back then I recorded on digital tape and then brought it up to the computer for editing.

I realize that my view of "portable" is far beyond everyone else's view, but I take the right cameras for the job, and the right lenses.
Yeah, that's the kind of thing I want to avoid, for sure.

Buy it months before your cruise, and LEARN it inside & out by challenging yourself in new and unique conditions (zoo, park, gardens, city streets, night).
THIS is the critical realization my spouse and I came to yesterday. I had bookmarked the camera and engaged in idle chatter about it with an intention to decide what to buy "just before the cruise". BAD idea. So that's why I'm pursuing this so far before the cruise... so I can have enough "practice runs". Edited by bicker

That looks almost like a GoPro...

• how do you plan to wear the camera? Head? Chest? Lower?
  • how do you plan to edit the content? Can your computer handle 4K?
  • what's the battery life like? 30 minutes? Do you have time to recharge? How much are extra batteries?
  • 4K..... how many camera cards do you plan to have on the trip? How many cards per day?
  • there doesn't appear to be image stabilization. Will shaky content be a concern?
  • I would not call this camera discrete... but the video quality appears to be decent.

I recommend also checking YouTube for image samples. Especially look for content inside a dark building and at night. This is where the camera may get weak without a light or flash.

Here's one vid....

Sorry... 90% of my earlier reply to this message apparently got lost in translation.

The computer I'd use for editing is an ASUS G750JW-DB71, Intel i7 4700HQ 2.4Ghz, 12 GB DDR3, with an SSD instead of the standard HD. It's got a Nvidia GTX765M 2GB so that shouldn't be an issue. I'll need new editing software since I cannot remember where my installation discs or license for Nero is, and it would be almost ten years ago by now anyway.

I don't see myself wearing the camera as much as taking advantage of its sport capabilities with regard to the nature of what I'll be shooting in Alaska, as I outlined in the post right above this one. If, as a result, there's a better direction to go in though, that's what I really would like to know.

Battery life is 90 minutes. I'll need to check out how to keep the sucker juiced up. I was hoping I could use my 24,000 mAh mobile recharger but apparently I cannot even bring anything more than 20,000 mAh aboard the aircraft anymore without explicit permission. Maybe I'll get a slightly smaller replacement, and a backup battery, to keep the camera juiced all day.

Clearly, my "play testing" will reveal how many memory cards I need. As I indicated earlier, I had far too few in Egypt.

Hmm.... need to check into image stabilization. I cannot understand how it doesn't have that given what they're saying its main use is.

I'm not really looking for the camera to be discrete but rather just looking for it to be non-invasive, which I think is a lesser threshold of discreteness.

Okay I'm warming up to the idea of a chest mount with the wrist remote. Still need to check into image stabilization, but the test video did not seem shaky at all.

Edited by bicker

Neither. I'm someone planning to take videos of an Alaskan cruise, within which I may want to capture moving water, falling ice, jumping whales, etc. Isn't this the right kind of device for that?

No question, and I've done it in the past, though back then I recorded on digital tape and then brought it up to the computer for editing.

Yeah, that's the kind of thing I want to avoid, for sure.

THIS is the critical realization my spouse and I came to yesterday. I had bookmarked the camera and engaged in idle chatter about it with an intention to decide what to buy "just before the cruise". BAD idea. So that's why I'm pursuing this so far before the cruise... so I can have enough "practice runs".

Jumping whales? Humpbacks rarely jump... they are too large. You might try an Orca whale watch in Cascadia pre/post-cruise.

There's a regulation boats need to maintain a distance like 3 blocks from whales. I think you want a regular camera with optical zoom instead showing your chest mount.

Lots of moving water once the ship leaves the docks.

Falling ice can mean lots of waiting and editing.

Edited by xlxo

So do you have a better suggestion in the same price range, comparably lightweight and easy to use, for a single device good for both photos and video? I appreciate your assistance in turning your input into something that I can use to make a better decision.

Edited by bicker

https://www.amazon.com/EK7000-Waterproof-Camcorder-Rechargeable-Kits-Black/dp/B01HGM33HG/ref=sr_1_1 (I notice there are reviews)

For around $100.... you may choose to bring along a second camera with the savings. You may choose to carry a point 'n shoot (with optical zoom and a flash) to use when the Akaso can't do the job.

One other thing.... the Akaso images don't show the back of the camera. There is not likely a viewfinder like most GoPro's. This may be an issue.

Edited by xlxo

The GoPro and this (original) camera DO NOT ZOOM. Your pictures of whales will be 17 pixels of actual whale, +/- 3. Your pictures of waterfalls will be 1,297 pixels of waterfall with stopped water (because you can't mount an ND filter on these things, usually). Action cameras are for when you're IN the action, not when you're a spectator.

Here's just one way to look at it. On the Ruby Princess, from the jogging track, you can see the great waters that surround you: Alaska Sampler-287 You can also attempt to read the charts on the side of the port nav station: Alaska Sampler-298 The camera never moved...but your action cam would be stuck back at the first shot.

Yup okay I'm convinced that these won't do the trick. I suppose what you're telling me by not recommending an alternative is that there isn't an alternative in this price range. Dang. Thanks anyway.

But would it be something you'd recommend?

Nope, maybe as a 2nd or 3rd camera but not as a first. I recommend the Nikon Coolpix P900, which I shot a heck of a lot of video on (see below) or the COOLPIX S9900. The P900 has an excellent 2000mm lens. The S9900 will fit in your pocket. Your taking an expensive cruise, don't cheap out on the camera. I noticed a lot of people using cheap no zoom cameras on our cruise. They are not going to be happy when they get home

Check out my video of Alaska here....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysr0U02jDi0&t=534s

Edited by Laszlo

Thanks. It's about four times the price, so I need to get a much better feeling about making this a bigger part of the budget for this trip.

So I know what I'm looking for better, could you please explain why you would recommend the S9900 so much more highly than, say, the B500? I found this comparison:

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Nikon-Coolpix-B500-vs-Nikon-Coolpix-S9900

However, I'm in the weeds now and so "600 shots vs 300 shots" and "150 mm longer tele reach" impresses me more than "100% higher Max ISO" or "faster lens at tele".

Thanks. It's about four times the price, so I need to get a much better feeling about making this a bigger part of the budget for this trip.

So I know what I'm looking for better, could you please explain why you would recommend the S9900 so much more highly than, say, the B500? I found this comparison:

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Nikon-Coolpix-B500-vs-Nikon-Coolpix-S9900

However, I'm in the weeds now and so "600 shots vs 300 shots" and "150 mm longer tele reach" impresses me more than "100% higher Max ISO" or "faster lens at tele".

I'm not recommending the S9900 over the B500. They are two different cameras the S9900 is very compact, fits in your hand. I will however recommend the P900 over both the S9900 and B500. NOTHING beats a 2000mm optical lens in Alaska. Their are very few places you can get up and close to something. Check out the zoom here....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JSsVDmjrvI

The P900 is a great camera for the price. I got it a Best Buy, they had it on sale for $599.00. I found it online at a camera store on Atlanta for $449.00, Best Buy priced matched it, If your looking for a small compact camera the S9900 is a great small camera. Forget about how many shots you can get out of one battery, its dumb. You can get a 2 pack of batteries for $15.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-Vivitar-EN-EL23-Battery-for-Nikon-Coolpix-B700-P900-S810c-P610-P600-/400963543872?hash=item5d5b4a2340:g:BMAAAOSwEzxYOMAO

With my P900 I shot over 2400 photos and went thru 4 batteries, so I got about 600 shots per battery plus Video

Edited by Laszlo

I don't see us spending more than $250 or so. It just won't happen.

Go to Best Buy or another store like that. I think for $250 you can find something decent with a good optical zoom

Here....https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1120455-REG/nikon_26478_coolpix_s3700_digital_camera.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1109394-REG/panasonic_dmc_zs45_b_lumix_dmc_zs45_digital_camera.html

Larger.....https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1234133-REG/nikon_26506_coolpix_b500_digital_camera.html

Edited by Laszlo

I don't see us spending more than $250 or so. It just won't happen.

Everything down in that price range is absolutely feature-competitive with everything else at the same (exact) price. Go up $10, get feature X. Go down $10, lose feature Y. Or, it's a trade-off between one and the other. Like someone else said, just go to Best Buy or whatever and walk the display.

That said, if $250 is your upper limit, you may be best off waiting until about 3-6 weeks pre-cruise to buy, so you get the latest/greatest. None of them will be hard to operate, none will have nearly enough challenges to their menus to take long to master, and you might as well feel like you're aren't holding something outdated when you go.

Larger.....https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1234133-REG/nikon_26506_coolpix_b500_digital_camera.html

This is how I'm leaning right now. I want the spouse, though, to be comfortable with its weight and how "poor" the inside photos taken with that camera are.

We have $15 in expiring certs at BB so more incentive to buy sooner than later.

That said, if $250 is your upper limit, you may be best off waiting until about 3-6 weeks pre-cruise to buy, so you get the latest/greatest. None of them will be hard to operate, none will have nearly enough challenges to their menus to take long to master, and you might as well feel like you're aren't holding something outdated when you go.
It's been literally 8 years since I've taken a photo that wasn't just posted to Facebook. We (both) really need some time taking photos when it doesn't really count, so we can get used to what works well and what doesn't.

Keep in mind that we have no cameras right now. We have contexts within which having a camera sooner would be nice. We're planning a trip to Charleston SC and Savannah GA sometime next year.

We decided to go with the B500. And I'm glad we're going to have several opportunities to practice before the cruise: I was videotaping the sermon at church yesterday and midway through I rested my thumb on the "right" button, pausing the recording. That's a mistake I won't make again.

Edited by bUU