Athens and Santorini

brd1121

Just started my research for NCL Star. This will be my first time in Greece and I am trying to find any ports I can explore on my own without booking an actual excursion. From my research so far, I think Santorini is best to go with an excursion do to the time it takes to get tendered, but what about Athens? The cruise also hits Dubrovnik, Ravenna and Venice (if you have any input but I plan on posting on the Italy and Croatia board).

:)

For Athens take the X80 bus from Piraeus to Athens and walk to the Acropolis, then walk to Syntagma Square, have a look around and get the bus back.

Venture as far from the bus stop as you feel comfortable with, in the time available.

Santorini can be done by yourself as well.

Check how many ships are due to be in port the same day as you (note the times!) and it is no problem to get up and down the lift as long as you leave enough time.

The experts will be along soon to give you specific advice, but take it from a very conservative (as far as timing goes :D ) traveller, that you should have plenty of time to arrange non ship excursions. Did you join your Roll Call?

The only thing about the X80 bus is that it does come infrequently. We wound up taking the X80 bus to Syntagma Square, but after waiting 45 minutes (and anxiously looking at our clocks with our ship's all aboard time approaching), we wound up splitting a cab with another couple from Syntagma Square back to the ship in Piraeus. The cab ride was 15 euros total for the four of us.

The only thing about the X80 bus is that it does come infrequently. We wound up taking the X80 bus to Syntagma Square, but after waiting 45 minutes (and anxiously looking at our clocks with our ship's all aboard time approaching), we wound up splitting a cab with another couple from Syntagma Square back to the ship in Piraeus. The cab ride was 15 euros total for the four of us.

I can appreciate that! We just checked the times on the live timing sign at the bus stop and it was still about 10 minutes late (but with Athens traffic :eek::eek:)

Interesting about the cost of the taxi and good to know!

Recently returned from a similar cruise and my recommendation would be to go on your own in Santorini. As previously mentioned, check to see how many ships are in port on your day. We had 6 and the line to get back down the hill was 2 hours long! It was a long walk down the hill. When you get off the tender in Santorini there are two companies that will offer boat rides to Oia, these include a bus up the hill in Oia, and a return bus from Oia to Fira.

We enjoyed being on our own, especially when we saw the large tour groups trying to maneuver the narrow streets.

We overnighted in Athens and did a excursion to the Acropolis. The next day we did the hop on/ hop off bus tours. If we had of known we would have done this and not the excursion. They are simple to use, $20 US for a 2 day pass. They are to the left in a parking lot when you leave the ship and terminal. They go straight from the terminal to Athens and the Acropolis. They provide maps that are easy to understand.

Santorini can be done by yourself as well.

Check how many ships are due to be in port the same day as you (note the times!) and it is no problem to get up and down the lift as long as you leave enough time.

Which web site do you use for cruise ship schedules? We are doing the Star next May.

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/#destports

http://ships.cruisett.com/

Cruisett is quicker to use. Select your ship and month, and you can see in the right hand column which other ships are in port.

However, the first site is more complete. I just checked Cruisett and my cruise ship (small) is not showing up for Med cruises in 2017, but does show up on cruisetimetables.com

we've been to Greece 2x recently and agree Santorini can be done on your own. IMHO a better alternative for Athens sightseeing is the hop on hop off bus which picks you up right at the port and continues to run until late in the day. You actually get a day pass for the price of one day. You can exit at the Acropolis where the bus routes change, sightsee & then reboard for other sights at a reasonable cost. There also is a prerecorded narrative with headphones.

Edited by dabear

The X80 is the way to go. It's 4(something) Euro for an all-day pass. It is set-up specifically for cruise ship passengers wanting to utilize public transit to/from Central Athens.

I would recommend being among the first off your ship in Piraeus(well this applies to just about every port) to beat the crowds. There is a ticket booth for the X80 about a 5 min. walk from the ship and the bus stop is right nearby.

The Acropolis opens at 8a and it is best if one can be among the first through the gates to experience the place for a little bit before the hordes (and I mean HORDES) of fellow tourists start arriving later in the morning.

The X80 bus takes about 25 minutes to/from. The bus stop for the Acropolis is a few blocks from the Dionysus theater entrance(SE side). Using this entrance allows one the opportunity to already enter the site, without having to take the longer round-about walk to where the main entrance is located on the W. side. Look on Google Maps to get an idea.

After the Acropolis/Mars Hill and a recommended stroll through the Plaka (perhaps a Greek lunch), the best spot to catch the bus back is at Syntagma Square. There is a large round-a-bout area with a row of bus stops on the W. end. There is also a digital time display showing when the next X80 bus is expected to arrive. This is the best spot to catch the return bus, because you'll likely be able to grab a seat. Further down the line(Acropolis Stop) people pile on and one will be grateful to have a seat for the ride back to port after a day of touring around.

As for Santorini, same advise as above. If wanting to go to Oia, the early bird gets the worm. It will be almost unbearably crowded with fellow cruise tourists as the day goes on -- especially with a handful of ships at anchor. The 'boat, bus to Oia, shuttle back' is a good deal. Understand that if your ship is staying later in the day, the shuttle company operates on a morning/afternoon schedule. In other words, all of the people that they take in the morning, they try to schedule to return in the early afternoon.

They will ask when one gets to Oia to schedule which bus(on the hour) that one wants to return to Fira. If one desires to stay longer in Oia(if ship time allows), one can ask if there are any shuttles scheduled(for the afternoon/evening crowd) beyond the ones that they are offering(usually last shuttle back at 2p).

Edited by Skai

• 2 weeks later...

All the cruise lines try to scare you at Santorini; come on our excursion or you're faced with poo-ing donkeys, a poo-infested steep walk or queuing for the cable car.

IT'S A LIE!

There is a boat service from where the tenders drop you round to Oia, with a bus back to Fira. Very cheap; forget the price, but a search should find it. It works well,

Stuart