Koningsdam Signature Suite

Time For Dreaming

Has anyone stayed in a Koningsdam Signature Suite (category SS) or had the chance to see one? There was a lot of speculation about what they actually look like after HAL posted it's one picture on their website.

We have one booked but just in case an upsell offer is made, it would be nice to know what we'd be giving up to get a Neptune.

Thank you.

I googled "Koningsdam Signature Suite" and got lots of entries. Here is a page of photos: http://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/koningsdam-986/signature-suite-275241/

The layout is quite different, although the bathroom is similar. I think the biggest difference is in the perks of the Neptune suites. Descriptions of those are on the HAL website and in numerous posts on Cruise Critic. I've come to think the perks are worth the extra money, particularly if you get an upsell.

Has anyone stayed in a Koningsdam Signature Suite (category SS) or had the chance to see one? There was a lot of speculation about what they actually look like after HAL posted it's one picture on their website.

We have one booked but just in case an upsell offer is made, it would be nice to know what we'd be giving up to get a Neptune.

I have not seen the SS cabins yet, but will try to do so next week and post back.

There are not many SS cabins on the Koningsdam (as compared to the other large HAL ships), and on our cruise they sold out fairly quickly. I think there are 14 vs about 55-60 on the Oosterdam.

The Neptunes also seem to have fewer cabins than the other large HAL ships (about 40 vs 60), so getting an upsell may be tough (on our cruise the upsell offers never went out to my knowledge). I am hearing that HAL is asking for higher upsell prices on this ship versus the past practices of the other large ones, so be prepared for sticker shock if you do get an upsell.

Edited by DaveOKC

I googled "Koningsdam Signature Suite" and got lots of entries. Here is a page of photos: http://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/koningsdam-986/signature-suite-275241/

The layout is quite different, although the bathroom is similar. I think the biggest difference is in the perks of the Neptune suites. Descriptions of those are on the HAL website and in numerous posts on Cruise Critic. I've come to think the perks are worth the extra money, particularly if you get an upsell.

Thanks to everyone who responded. And special thanks for the link above because 7100 is the SS we got!!! The couch opposite the bed doesn't look like the typical couch we've seen in any stateroom. Doesn't even look like a couch.

Good point about the price of a possible upsell. We booked in June 2015 (might have been the first day bookings opened) and at that time, we checked the price of a SA along the corridor where the Neptune Lounge is and they were $1,200/person more. At least we'll know if we get an offer, if it'll be a good one.

But the Signature Suite looks really nice. Either way, we're going to be happy.

100 on the Vista class and 50 on the Signature class according to this chart:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/news/FastFacts.pdf

GREAT CHART! I will definitely refer to it in the future. I guess I forgot to add all the SYs on deck 8 on the Oosterdam.

But it even more makes my point that the Koningsdam has FAR fewer Signature and even Neptune suites than the Vista ships. Thus, upsells will likely be harder to come by.

I have stayed in Nieuw Amsterdam Signature Suites twice and feel like the layout of the Koningsdam is awkward. The wall between the vanity area and bed makes for a lot of wasted space behind the vanity chair and makes the bed area look cramped. If the wall were removed, the space would be much more usable. The "couch" near the bed looks like a chaise/daybed and not at all comfortable as a sitting place. The bathroom is gorgeous though!

Can someone who has traveled in Signature Suites on both ships offer their comparison?

GREAT CHART! I will definitely refer to it in the future. I guess I forgot to add all the SYs on deck 8 on the Oosterdam.

But it even more makes my point that the Koningsdam has FAR fewer Signature and even Neptune suites than the Vista ships. Thus, upsells will likely be harder to come by.

Very true. I really, really wanted a Neptune Suite on the first Caribbean sailing of the K'dam. I got one across the hall from the Neptune Lounge, but paid a LOT for it. They are beautiful and there is never a crowd in the Neptune Lounge because of the reduced number of Neptune suites. Breakfast in the Pinnacle was also quiet with very good service.

I have stayed in Nieuw Amsterdam Signature Suites twice and feel like the layout of the Koningsdam is awkward. The wall between the vanity area and bed makes for a lot of wasted space behind the vanity chair and makes the bed area look cramped. If the wall were removed, the space would be much more usable. The "couch" near the bed looks like a chaise/daybed and not at all comfortable as a sitting place. The bathroom is gorgeous though!

Can someone who has traveled in Signature Suites on both ships offer their comparison?

A few more months and that'll be us. We too had a Signature Suite (7080) on the Nieuw Amsterdam. We loved opening the door to our sanctuary and spending time in it. Large area with an open concept. The Koningsdam SS looks vastly different. Will definitely report back on the comparison.

• 4 weeks later...

Wrote a review of this cabin yesterday but it has disappeared. If this is a duplicate, sorry.

We had SS 5001 Dec 23-30. We like the SS's but we booked late and this was the only one available. We weren't that thrilled with it and would not book it again.

Pro-we like SS for the space and this was nice. Lots of storage both closets and drawers. Love the light up rods that help you see what's in the closet. The bathroom is lovely with the separate shower, double sinks and whirlpool tub.

Cons- where to start, balcony is tiny and the railing is half plexiglas (right side) and half solid (left side). Our steward said the divider cannot be opened to access the small space forward which would have given a more spacious feeling. There is no hook on that divider to keep it open, so while sailing it would need to be locked but in port should be okay and I noticed the last day in HMC the same cabin on port side was open. Oh, well. We luckily did not hear the staff door across the hall. On San Jyan the captain had the bow door opened for the approach which was nice but did mean a stream of people past our door. The big noise issue for us was the thrusters for docking (and all day at HMC). They are loud and cause the cabin to vibrate. Good luck sleeping late on an early port day. We are not TV watchers so the placement of the TV wasn't an issue but only being able to watch it from the bed was odd. The couch is not comfortable for sitting but my husband enjoyed several naps on it. I did not notice a smoke smell but the crew smoking area is starboard side below and forward of the cabin; it was very windy on our cruise so that may have helped.

I noticed that the bathroom floor (marble?) finish is messed up around the toilet, possibly from the cleaning products. The long bar in front of the window also looks like marble and has some glass rings etched in the finish plus there are two cases which were apparently glued in place but a previous guest decided to move the one so there is a big glue circle. Honestly gluing them in the middle of the counter was silly as it puts them permanently in the way. One last thing-the bathtub cannot be used as a shower; it has a handheld shower spray but no shower curtain so you must use the smaller glasses in shower stall.

I'd be glad to answer any questions about the cabin or the K'dam. I will probably do a complete review later but typing on my phone is too klutzy (I apologize for any weird typos).

St. Louis Sal

Wrote a review of this cabin yesterday but it has disappeared. If this is a duplicate, sorry.

We had SS 5001 Dec 23-30. We like the SS's but we booked late and this was the only one available. We weren't that thrilled with it and would not book it again.

Pro-we like SS for the space and this was nice. Lots of storage both closets and drawers. Love the light up rods that help you see what's in the closet. The bathroom is lovely with the separate shower, double sinks and whirlpool tub.

Cons- where to start, balcony is tiny and the railing is half plexiglas (right side) and half solid (left side). Our steward said the divider cannot be opened to access the small space forward which would have given a more spacious feeling. There is no hook on that divider to keep it open, so while sailing it would need to be locked but in port should be okay and I noticed the last day in HMC the same cabin on port side was open. Oh, well. We luckily did not hear the staff door across the hall. On San Juan the captain had the bow door opened for the approach which was nice but did mean a stream of people past our door. The big noise issue for us was the thrusters for docking (and all day at HMC). They are loud and cause the cabin to vibrate. Good luck sleeping late on an early port day. We are not TV watchers so the placement of the TV wasn't an issue but only being able to watch it from the bed was odd. The couch is not comfortable for sitting but my husband enjoyed several naps on it. I did not notice a smoke smell but the crew smoking area is starboard side below and forward of the cabin; it was very windy on our cruise so that may have helped.

I noticed that the bathroom floor (marble?) finish is messed up around the toilet, possibly from the cleaning products. The long bar in front of the window also looks like marble and has some glass rings etched in the finish plus there are two vases which were apparently glued in place but a previous guest decided to move the one so there is a big glue circle. Honestly gluing them in the middle of the counter was silly as it puts them permanently in the way. One last thing-the bathtub cannot be used as a shower; it has a handheld shower spray but no shower curtain so you must use the smaller glasses in shower stall.

I'd be glad to answer any questions about the cabin or the K'dam. I will probably do a complete review later but typing on my phone is too klutzy (I apologize for any weird typos).

St. Louis Sal