Excursions question

J458r

Hello everyone,

We are leaving on a 7 day western Caribbean Cruise on carnival magic january the 21st. This is our first time ever cruising and our first time ever being in the western Caribbean. We have no idea what excursions to do !! There's so many to pick from and they all look awesome. We want to stay with the carnival excursions this time. I know they'll be more expensive and while I'm not looking forward to that part I'd prefer to stick with the safest bet with it being our first time.

We have people ranging from 14 to 40 with us and we are open to just about anything almost.

Could you please give me your thoughts on the best excursions you've done ?

I should mention that we are trying to only do excursions at 2 or 3 ports.

Thank you everyone!

In cozumel, if they still have the excursions to Isla passion, that is so much fun. Beach day, fun for all ages. All you can eat, all you can drink (only a few varieties but it's an option) and water fun. Shaded area and sun. Hammocks, beach beds, loungers galore. It's the island where they filmed the Corona commercial

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see where you said what ports you are going to? There are several.

Even though you said you want to do ship excursions, I have done MANY on them on my own and they go to the same places a lot of the times.

The person above me mentioned Cozumel, Belize and Grand Cayman. I don't know if that's where you are going or not...but if so...

Yes, Passion Island is fun and very pretty and I have a full review of it listed in my signature line. There's TONS of pictures. But you can do it with Carnival.

Also, the big thing that is unique to do in Belize is cavetubing, once again, you can do with the ship. We have done it twice (reviews in signature line).

In Grand Cayman, the big unique thing to do is take a boat out to the sand bar and swim with the stingrays. Awesome experience (once again reviews x2 in my signature line).

If you are going somewhere else, let us know. :)

I will be on that cruise also, as part of a group of piano bar enthusiasts, it will be an epic week!

I am most familiar with Cozumel, and a lot of people like Mr. Sancho's, a day resort where you can do as much or as little as you want of beach activities and beverages/food. My favorite thing was their tamarind margarita :)

http://www.mrsanchos.com/

I always read all the reviews on the tours that I think my family would like to do and it really help in the decision making. In Grand Cayman the stingray tour is really something to experience. I have done it twice and would do it again in a heartbeat. THey have a dolphin encounter and stingray swim that's fun. Photos are pricey . The turtle farm and the little town called HELL is fun too. In Cozumel the ruins are also a great tour. It really depends if you like water activities . We went to the ruins and then they took us to the beach on the way back. I have also done a snorkel cataraman trip and thast fun too. Jamaica has a lot of beach excursions that are really nice with sailboats and kayaks and all the food and drinks included. Enjoy the planning...

You are getting great advice about excursions! However, DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE PRICE GUARANTEE!! I understand wanting to do Carnival excursions, but make sure you are price checking private excursions and take advantage of Carnival's price guarantee on those which match the Carnival excursions. Carnival will give you 110% of the price difference back in OBC. Just remember that the excursions have to match exactly. I was able to do this for 2 of 3 excursions in my recent CA/NE cruise.

In cozumel, if they still have the excursions to Isla passion, that is so much fun. Beach day, fun for all ages. All you can eat, all you can drink (only a few varieties but it's an option) and water fun. Shaded area and sun. Hammocks, beach beds, loungers galore. It's the island where they filmed the Corona commercial

That sounds beautiful. Thank you!

Belize, definitely do am excursion here if you want to get off the ship. Not safe to walk around in your own except in the port shopping area.

Grand Cayman. Turtle farm and sting ray city are awesome for all ages too.

I'm going to be honest. Belize scares me !! If we do an excursion it will be for sure with carnival.

Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see where you said what ports you are going to? There are several.

Even though you said you want to do ship excursions, I have done MANY on them on my own and they go to the same places a lot of the times.

The person above me mentioned Cozumel, Belize and Grand Cayman. I don't know if that's where you are going or not...but if so...

Yes, Passion Island is fun and very pretty and I have a full review of it listed in my signature line. There's TONS of pictures. But you can do it with Carnival.

Also, the big thing that is unique to do in Belize is cavetubing, once again, you can do with the ship. We have done it twice (reviews in signature line).

In Grand Cayman, the big unique thing to do is take a boat out to the sand bar and swim with the stingrays. Awesome experience (once again reviews x2 in my signature line).

If you are going somewhere else, let us know. :)

Sorry, it's my first cruise so I didn't realize there are different western Caribbean Cruise options. We are going to Cozumel, belize, mahogany bay and Costa Mya. Thank you about the review options. I'm going to check them out.

If you're going to Grand Cayman, you must swim with the stingrays. That is a once in a lifetime adventure.

Edit to say: And now it looks like you'll miss Grand Cayman. Interesting, because most Western Caribbean go to GC.

How abou cave tubing in Belize? We did it, and that was fun. We did it through Carnival.

Edited by LadyBeBop

http://caymanspirits.com

Was pretty fun. Believe there is a both at the port where it is around $17/pp for transport/tour/unlimited samples.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Thank you ! We are headed to Cozumel, belize , mahogany bay and Costa Mya. I didn't realize there were other options for Western Caribbean cruises.

I will be on that cruise also, as part of a group of piano bar enthusiasts, it will be an epic week!

I am most familiar with Cozumel, and a lot of people like Mr. Sancho's, a day resort where you can do as much or as little as you want of beach activities and beverages/food. My favorite thing was their tamarind margarita :)

http://www.mrsanchos.com/

Thank you for the info. I'm extremely nervous about doing a non carnival excursion since it's our first time. My biggest fear is that we won't make it back to the boat in time. I've read that it's their lively hood so they make sure they get you back in time. But what about the stuff they can't help? Like tire and car issues:(

We aren't bring passports(just bc's and id's). I know I'm going to probably catch a lot of criticism for that but please be nice because I'm nervous about that to.

I'm excited to hear from a fellow cruiser from our cruise also. Have you cruised on this ship before? If so what's your favorite part?

I always read all the reviews on the tours that I think my family would like to do and it really help in the decision making. In Grand Cayman the stingray tour is really something to experience. I have done it twice and would do it again in a heartbeat. THey have a dolphin encounter and stingray swim that's fun. Photos are pricey . The turtle farm and the little town called HELL is fun too. In Cozumel the ruins are also a great tour. It really depends if you like water activities . We went to the ruins and then they took us to the beach on the way back. I have also done a snorkel cataraman trip and thast fun too. Jamaica has a lot of beach excursions that are really nice with sailboats and kayaks and all the food and drinks included. Enjoy the planning...

Thank you for the info. The ruins sound like they'd be interesting/fun but the drive seems long. Did the drive justify it for you ? The kids love the idea of swimming with dolphins, snorkeling and pretty much any active excursions. I'd like to relax Lol

You are getting great advice about excursions! However, DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE PRICE GUARANTEE!! I understand wanting to do Carnival excursions, but make sure you are price checking private excursions and take advantage of Carnival's price guarantee on those which match the Carnival excursions. Carnival will give you 110% of the price difference back in OBC. Just remember that the excursions have to match exactly. I was able to do this for 2 of 3 excursions in my recent CA/NE cruise.

Oh wow ! I didn't know this. I'm for sure going to look into that. Thank you !

If you're going to Grand Cayman, you must swim with the stingrays. That is a once in a lifetime adventure.

Edit to say: And now it looks like you'll miss Grand Cayman. Interesting, because most Western Caribbean go to GC.

How abou cave tubing in Belize? We did it, and that was fun. We did it through Carnival.

I think we are going to try a cave tubbing excursion. It seems interesting. Was the hike and or carrying your tube thru the walk a lot for you or for the kids if any you had in your group? I think we'd all be fine (everyone's pretty active) but I've read that the walking can cause some soreness with your feet from the water shoes

We have a personal rule :D :DIf we're going to be out away from where we could find a taxi if the tour goes awry we take a ship tour - if the tour is late the ship will wait for you if you're on a ship tour.

If we'll be somewhere we could grab a taxi if the tour goes awry we do it on our own.

A few years ago in Belize our tour bus was sitting in grid-locked traffic in down town at the time the ship was scheduled to sail.:eek: Our guide assured us that a tender and a CCL rep was waiting for us on the dock.... and it was :)

Belize, definitely do am excursion here if you want to get off the ship. Not safe to walk around in your own except in the port shopping area.

Grand Cayman. Turtle farm and sting ray city are awesome for all ages too.

I'm going to be honest. Belize scares me !! If we do an excursion it will be for sure with carnival.

Oh please, Belize can be a wonderful destination!

Three times we've taken non-CCL excursions including taking a water taxi to Caye Caulker for fantastic snorkeling, great food and cheap beer. Also have taken a taxi to the Hour Bar for drinks and great seafood overlooking the ocean. Never once had a problem or ever felt in danger in any way.

A few years ago in Belize our tour bus was sitting in grid-locked traffic in down town at the time the ship was scheduled to sail.:eek: Our guide assured us that a tender and a CCL rep was waiting for us on the dock.... and it was :)

Same thing happened to us a couple years ago. The ship had already pulled anchor when our tender arrived back. Thankful we were on a Carnival excursion.

I think we are going to try a cave tubbing excursion. It seems interesting. Was the hike and or carrying your tube thru the walk a lot for you or for the kids if any you had in your group?

It was about 10 years ago. At the time, my daughter's were 15 and 16 and my husband and I were in our mid-40s. We had no problems hiking with our tubes. I'd say the hike was about a mile. Not strenuous.

I think we'd all be fine (everyone's pretty active) but I've read that the walking can cause some soreness with your feet from the water shoes

We didn't encounter soreness. However, make sure you have good, sturdy water shoes.

I heard the stingrays in Grand Cayman is the best, and I booked that on my last cruise. Unfortunately, due to weather, all stingray tours were cancelled. Next time I guess.

Thank you for the info! We are headed to Cozumel instead of gc but the stingrays option sounds really cool !!

We have a personal rule :D :DIf we're going to be out away from where we could find a taxi if the tour goes awry we take a ship tour - if the tour is late the ship will wait for you if you're on a ship tour.

If we'll be somewhere we could grab a taxi if the tour goes awry we do it on our own.

Good rules to follow! I love the security of knowing the cruise is there waiting.