Improved internet on QM2

newcruise

I usually set up my wife's internet account, so naturally I know the login parameters to access it later. :)

As I recall, if you set up your account on embarkation day (or the day after) you get a 10 or 20 additional minutes - instead of 120 minutes the lowest package gets bumped up to something like 140 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the new interface, but I had a little problem which cost me about 180 minutes (although 160 were eventually restored by the nice lady in Connexions). Others may find this information useful.

My internet device is an iPod Touch. On Crystal, I was told to copy the login page to my home screen, so I did the same on QM2. As a result, I would occasionally open the login page from the icon on my home screen, log in, check e-mail or weather etc., then log out in the Safari browser.

I was a little annoyed that the helpful "you are now disconnected..." screen didn't always show up, leaving me to enter "logout.com" in Safari and then going to an app like Yahoo weather to see if it updated (ie, was still connected to the internet). I did this one evening, seemed to be logged out, and the next morning, I was asked to purchase a new package - no minutes left.

The woman running Connexions picked up what I had done, and told me that what I had done is a no-no. Login and logout must be performed from the same place. Otherwise, Cunard's internet doesn't recognize the logout and the meter keeps running. She deleted the login icon from my home screen, and I had no trouble thereafter - and always got the "you are logged out...." screen to confirm that the meter stopped running.

BTW, if the login screen doesn't show up the first time you connect to QM2 Guest Internet, you can bring it up by entering Internet.Cunard.com in the address bar of your browser, or (hearsay, I haven't tried it) "login.com."

My Android tablet's browser has multiple tabs so I keep the Internet Access/Login tab open while I browse in other tabs. The Internet Access tab keeps a running count of minutes remaining so that helps.

I had understood that the old system would log you out after 15 minutes of no activity. Sounds like the new system doesn't have that feature. :(