Jogging on the Promenade

windrose

We've always respected the no jogging rule on the Promenade, doing the fastest walk we can for a one mile warm up on the promenade before heading up to the sports deck to the "jogging track" for some jogging.

Not sure how many joggers/runners there are on board, but the sports deck is completely unsuitable for jogging. Sharp corners, short lengths and constantly wet - it's almost dangerous. It's at least ten times around for one mile, and with those sharp and short corners it's impossible to maintain any sort of stride.

Add to that the fact that, while we respect the no jogging on the promenade rule, I have yet to ever jog the sports deck without having to dodge people just strolling along, not for exercise but for the views of the ship and the ocean. I always slow down or stop jogging when I come up on strollers or standers, so as not to blow by them and startle them, but have still received dirty looks and snide comments about joggers.

Do you think it would be possible to allow jogging on the promenade for maybe one hour in the morning and/or one hour in the afternoon or evening for those of us who enjoy jogging and would appreciate the much safer (for jogging) promenade?

I have filled out the comment cards on each cruise, but have yet to see the issue ever addressed.

What do you guys think - would you be willing to share with joggers for one or two set hours a day?

Personally I like your idea.

I think though that they will not allow it for safety reasons. I do fast walking too and find that I am constantly having to dodge people who are just strolling along.

Next time we fill out the forms at the end of the cruise I will suggest something as you have been doing.

Happy Cruising!

As a recent occupant of a cabin on B deck just below Lower Promenade deck on the Volendam, I can tell you I would be opposed to allowing jogging on LP deck. An occasional thud as a chair is set up, or a tapping of high heels in the evening is not annoying. The thud, thud, thud of running feet would be! The one hour morning and evening would be hard to enforce, and might impinge on the quiet time I choose to spend in my cabin. I would vote NO re: the S and R class ships.

The Vista class ships do not have cabins directly below the Promenade deck so your idea might be more feasible there.

Thanks cruzbums! I too see it as a safety issue. Having to dodge scooters and those standing around taking pictures on the only track joggers are allowed seems far more unsafe than joggers allowed to coexist with walkers.

I guess there just aren't that many people on board who enjoy jogging for exercise. But maybe if we comment enough times we will at least get one hour here and there where we can be allowed to use the real track - the promenade.

prom·e·nade (prŏm'ə-nād', -näd') pron.gif

n.

1. A leisurely walk, especially one taken in a public place as a social activity.
    2. A public place for such walking.

Runners and "fast walkers" have access to both the Sports Deck and the gym, 24 hours a day. I don't think there are any sharp corners on the treadmill.

Perhaps there could be a sign asking strollers/walkers to stay to the side on the jogging deck. Then the joggers wouldn't have to dodge them, but there would be no distrubance on the Lower Prom, either.

Perhaps there could be a sign asking strollers/walkers to stay to the side on the jogging deck. Then the joggers wouldn't have to dodge them, but there would be no distrubance on the Lower Prom, either.

I agree ... good idea. I didn't realize there wasn't a sign on the Sports Deck. But please, no jogging on the Lower Prom.!

I will never jog on the promenade as long as it's not allowed. I am not one to pick which rules to follow - particularly in a place such as a cruise ship when so many people are effected by those who disregard rules.

It was just an idea - an hour here or there so people could jog safely on board. It seems though as if there is not much of a demand though, so I will continue to cut corners on the sports deck - a treadmill is not even close to being the same work out.

Signs warning of joggers on the sports deck would be much appreciated too and would help avoid the sometimes three people wide groups out enjoying the view and blocking the track.

My DH has made the same observations as you concerning the sharp corners and small track for jogging. It's really not a good track for jogging compared to tracks on other ships (on other lines)we have sailed. His solution has been to run when we're in port and use the treadmills during sea days. He really enjoys running in ports-of-call....treadmills, not so much.

Well, I've only ever been on one cruise and I had the VERY good fortune of having a cabin on the Lower Promenade Deck. The only thing more annoying than a bunch of TOPS ladies braying outside my window early in the morning would have to be joggers. Surely the treadmill would suffice for a week?

When we were on the Z in January there were people jogging on the promenade. The jogging track is very unsafe. It is consistently wet and small. The treadmills were hit and miss on our ship. I was on one and it got stuck at a high level. I have never had that problem at home.

If by "Z" you mean the Zaandam, then it's the Lower Promenade, and there should not have been any jogging on that deck.

If by "Z" you mean Zuiderdam, then, I believe, jogging is allowed on the same deck the walkers use.

Treadmills just aren't the same, yes they would suffice for a week and it's not a HUGE deal. But it would be nice to be able to run outside in the fresh air. Also I've noticed the treadmill speed/pace function is always off. It's either not calibrated right or it's off because of all the movement on the ship.

We walk Promendade Deck for exercise; not leisurely strolling. When we shared the deck with joggers on Zuiderdam it was awful for us. They bumped us, they made remarks about walkers being in their way.....it was very unpleasant. I thank you very much for being considerate and observant of the rules and for not jogging where it is not permitted.

We use the treadmills sometimes for our walking and often see people jogging on them. Hopefully, using the gym and perhaps jogging in ports, might be okay for the time you are on the ship?

I do agree the jogging track is not great.

I really appreciate the wrap around teak Lower Promenade on HAL ships. The RCI and Celebrity ships that I have been on do not have them. Brisk or power walking in the open sea air is great. It would be great to jog, but I do not think this is going to happen. I can always go on a treadmill at the gym.

I have found the best time for 9 laps that make 3 miles on the S ships is about 5:30 when the early diners are getting ready for dinner. Earlier in the day there are many strollers. I do not complain about this, but it does break your stride.

Even though my DH is a runner and would love a better place to run while at sea, we do love the lower promanade (wrap-around) deck and usually book an outside cabin on that deck. I would not like to be disturbed by the "thump thump thump" of running. It is a lovely deck and is perfect for the uses it is intended to provide.

Running at the port when docked and using treadmills on sea days, while not perfect, works for DH.

But maybe if we comment enough times we will at least get one hour here and there where we can be allowed to use the real track - the promenade.

On the surface this sounds good. Atlantic City used to (and still might) assign a block of time- relatively early in the morning- when bicycles were allowed on the boardwalk. But it was not exclusively for bicycles. Walkers were not excluded. If a block, or blocks, of time are carved out for jogging only, the promenade deck is denied to others. Kind of sounds like the same situation as when public area is roped off for a group and the rest of the passengers are denied use of it. Of course, if walkers/strollers are allowed to use the promenade during "jogging time" you have the same situation that currently exists.

Maybe if the joggers would travel in the opposite direction from the walkers/strollers it would work out for everyone. That way people could watch out for each other and not have the bumping and frustration people on this thread have described.

I do not have acute hearing, and with the sound of the wind and waves, I sometimes do not hear people coming up behind me, so don't know soon enought to get out of their way. A friendly, "Excuse me" or "Coming through, please" would really be helpful.

Maybe if the joggers would travel in the opposite direction from the walkers/strollers it would work out for everyone.

Not for everyone---at least on the S- and R-class ships. It wouldn't work for those people in outside cabins on the Main deck since they would have to listen to the pound! pound! pound! of joggers overhead.

One can never be sure when someone below is trying to sleep, nap, read, or just enjoy quiet time in their cabin. Jogging is not allowed on the Lower Promenade for a very good reason.

RuthC, I mentioned that same objection in my earlier post on this thread. I'm just home from a Main Deck cabin on Volendam and definitely would have hated joggers thundering above my head as I tried to nap or read.

Still, it might be a solution on the Vista class ships. Can't imagine sitting at dinner and watching the joggers race by though.

Any "rules of the road" would require monitoring, and who would have that difficult job? Easier to just say jogging is prohibited except on the sports deck.

We went jogging on the Oosterdam promenade deck. I looked carefully for any signs forbidding it or any notice in the daily program forbidding it and found none. We attempted to be considerate of walkers and those going slower than us. There were lots of runners on the deck on our cruise. The upstairs jogging deck was unsuitable because of baffles and sharp corners. If jogging were explicitly forbidden on the promenade deck we wouldn't do it but since it's not, we'd rather be there enjoying the sea air than on a tread mill in the gym (although i used the tread mill one day when it was raining)

Unfortunately for us exercise walkers, :) ....

:( jogging is permitted on Promendade on the Vista Class ships. It is not permitted on the other HAL ships.

We attempted to be considerate of walkers and those going slower than us. There were lots of runners on the deck on our cruise

This is the point IMO. You attempted to be considerate......that doesn't help a lot when your attempt fails and one of us walkers gets bumped into; knocked down. This does happen when joggers get annoyed with 'slow' walkers being in their way. Lots of runners with lots of walkers just don't mix well. Seeing as the joggers are the ones more likely to put others at risk of injury or to be disturbing to people seeking quiet rest, the joggers are the ones who will be barred.

RuthC, I mentioned that same objection in my earlier post on this thread. I'm just home from a Main Deck cabin on Volendam and definitely would have hated joggers thundering above my head as I tried to nap or read.

Jane, I didn't mean to step on your toes; forgive me if my post came across that way. I meant to reiterate what you had posted as it seemed it have gotten lost in the subsequent thoughts. i.e.: there is a valid reason why jogging is forbidden on the Lower Promenade on the S- and R-class ships. It would be impossible to set a different rule and expect it to be followed---or monitored! Look how some other rules as followed/momitored!

Archived