Anthem not sailing

We were on the 11/10 sailing on the Anthem & I thought I heard an announcement that anyone not sailing please leave. Are they allowing people to board the Anthem without sailing to see what the ship is like?

Aileen

We have heard this a few times. Usually a group of Travel Agents, they are given a tour of the ship, different room categories and then have a private meal in an area of the MDR before leaving.

As mentioned, if there is a wedding that takes place prior to sailing or if there is a TA sponsored tour of the ship to promote business, then there may be non-sailing passengers on board that will need to disembark at a certain time - always well before muster.

But other than that type of circumstance, visitors are not allowed on board with sailing passengers to look at the ship.

There are many people who are not passengers allowed on board ships at various ports of call. They may include Customs and Immigration officials, shore excursion staff, Port Agents, local dignitaries, crew guests, travel agents and people on a tour of the vessel, etc., etc.

These are the people such announcements are addressed to.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As mentioned, if there is a wedding that takes place prior to sailing or if there is a TA sponsored tour of the ship to promote business, then there may be non-sailing passengers on board that will need to disembark at a certain time - always well before muster.

But other than that type of circumstance, visitors are not allowed on board with sailing passengers to look at the ship.

Let me correct myself to read non sailing guests.

There are many people who are not passengers allowed on board ships at various ports of call. They may include Customs and Immigration officials, shore excursion staff, Port Agents, local dignitaries, crew guests, travel agents and people on a tour of the vessel, etc., etc.

These are the people such announcements are addressed to.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Add to that, Field Service personnel for equipment on board or other people from companies that have equipment or things for sale on board. I've been told a lot of ship's business occurs the short time it is in its home port.

Some travel agents can bring people to tour the ship. The visits are booked several days before and all the visitors must give the id and personal data before to the cruise line for security reasons.

When we did the TA from Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona, our first cruise port of call, after 10 sea days, was Lisbon, our hometown.Because my husband works with tourism we could have our family to visit us inside the ship with travel agents.It was really funny to welcome them aboard and lunch with them in Windjammer because it was the first time for them to be inside a cruise ship (liberty of the seas) :)

Edited by framboesa

Nowadays nonsailing guest visits are uncommon, with the exceptions above.. Back in the day it was common practice for family members to be able to accompany the sailing pax on board until disembark time , I remember going on board the old Song of Norway with my grandmother many years ago. The common announcement was the old "all ashore that's going ashore. " :) .

This changed after 9/11 if not before. Seems to me that it has lightened up a bit as I don't' recall such announcements until recently.