formal dress

Crazy Kris

You can buy a tux for the price of an inexpensive business suit, if you do some shopping. JC Penney, for one, sells them. For less than $200, you can get the full regalia including shoes and tie.

Bought one from Macy's for $150 after coupon code, and it's actually pretty nice for that kind of money. Tailoring for jacket length (body and sleeves) plus pants hem cost me an additional $50.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/lauren-ralph-lauren-classic-fit-solid-black-wool-tuxedo?ID=150026&CategoryID=68524#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D61%26ruleId%3D78|BS|BA%26slotId%3D1

You can buy a tux for the price of an inexpensive business suit, if you do some shopping. JC Penney, for one, sells them. For less than $200, you can get the full regalia including shoes and tie. You can also buy used tuxes from some formal shops. In fact, I just checked Amazon, and they sell tuxes for around $80.

And yes, I DO wish the lines would be stricter with their enforcement of the dress code.

Yes - anyone who has any reasonable expectation of going to a formal event any time in the next ten years (the timeframe during which you might be at risk of "outgrowing it) should shop around when not under time pressure and pick up a tuxedo just to have, and not risk having to rent an ill-fitting one at greater cost.

And, once you have it, you are likely to have more occasions to use it.

While I share your wish about lines enforcing dress code - there is a pre-requisite: they must HAVE a dress code in the first place - and inform passengers of it.

You can buy a tux for the price of an inexpensive business suit, if you do some shopping. JC Penney, for one, sells them. For less than $200, you can get the full regalia including shoes and tie. You can also buy used tuxes from some formal shops. In fact, I just checked Amazon, and they sell tuxes for around $80. For something you might wear a few times per year, that would probably work out great.

Now, all that said, I DO have a tux, and I like to wear it on the formal nights, but, with me, it's kind of a "joke," in that I think of formal night with the same sort of seriousness as I think of a prom. Once is kind of fun, but it really doesn't mean anything.

And yes, I DO wish the lines would be stricter with their enforcement of the dress code.

Yes, I understand that.

But I get all my suits custom tailored by my Hong Kong tailor. I was joking on one thread, that the rental tuxes on RCI are advertised as being 100 count fabric. None of my suits are less than 120 count. :D

But I pay about the same as a good off the rack suit.

I just have not decided I want to spend the money on something I will wear twice a year. I wear suits to work almost every day.

If you have a sequined dress and want to bring it - do so! Most of us don't have the opportunity to dress in our finery very often, and it's a treat to be able to bring out the sparklies and feel like a million bucks for an evening or two. DH always brings his tux and I have my sparklies and high heels and we enjoy every formal (or gala) night on the ship.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)