Boarding question Ft. Lauderdale

This April we will be sailing on Serenade. Being Emerald (will be Diamond after this cruise!) we should have some kind of priority check in as I recall. Question...we're talking daughter and grandkids on their first cruise. Will they be able to check in with us or must they get in the gold line for first timers? Thanks

First timers will not be in the gold line. The gold line is for repeat cruisers.

But I would not worry about it. The check in process in Lauderdale is quite good, and will move quickly no matter which line you are in.

A lot can depend on the terminal also. My experience has been in Terminal 18 for the Oasis and the Allure (last week). The first time, I got there at 1130 with very minimal delay through check-in, though I did wait upstairs in the waiting area (much like an airport boarding area) for an hour until boarding was available.

This past cruise, Nov 27th, we got there around 1:15 and the lines were long. Stood in the Gold line (three stations) for about 20 minutes but the first time cruiser's had a healthy wait in line (even with about 10 stations working for that line). Emerald and above line was very short even with only two stations.

But I am not sure which terminal in Ft Lauderdale you will be on.

FYI - Getting off was outstanding as usual. I signed up for the first time period without taking my own luggage off. Was given tags for #5, scheduled for 7:50-8:20 off ship. Happened to go down to the Promenade just as the initial passengers taking own luggage was finishing up (around 7:45) and was told to go ahead... straight off ship to luggage line #5 and right out the door. I do note they were just unloading the luggage for ~ #18 and above at that time (On the Allure they had been showing groups up around #60 getting off around 10:30...).

Was out to the parking and on the road home by 8:25. :)

Edited by Rubicon55

This April we will be sailing on Serenade. Being Emerald (will be Diamond after this cruise!) we should have some kind of priority check in as I recall. Question...we're talking daughter and grandkids on their first cruise. Will they be able to check in with us or must they get in the gold line for first timers? Thanks

Just get to port after 12 and it will not matter