Rental Car or Water Taxi?

SaintTaris

:confused:

We are a Party of 4 adults who arriving at Fll in less than 2 weeks for our Christmas Cruise. Our flight lands at 9:30 AM, far to early to check in. We are staying at the Hilton Marina. I reserved an SUV at the Enterprise counter at the hotel for $80. I need help deciding should I keep the rental car or rely on The Water Taxi and Uber/Taxis to get around.

Here's what we have planned for Ft Lauderdale. Catch a taxi to the hotel from FLL, then check our bags at the Hilton Marina. Next we like to explore the town and have lunch preferably waterside. The ladies would like to do a little shopping either at the Galleria, Las Olas and/or at the Outlets before checking into the hotel. We will decide on Dinner later.

Budget isn't a primary concern. However, the cost for the water taxi for 4 is more expensive than the rental for 24 hours and it seems like we would be more restricted by relying solely on the Water Taxi. Based on everything I posted, what would you advise?

Edited by SaintTaris

We are a Party of 4 adults who arriving at Fll in less than 2 weeks for our Christmas Cruise. Our flight lands at 9:30 AM, far to early to check in. We are staying at the Hilton Marina. I reserved an SUV at the Enterprise counter at the hotel for $80. I need help deciding should I keep the rental car or rely on The Water Taxi and Uber/Taxis to get around.

Here's what we have planned for Ft Lauderdale. Catch a taxi to the hotel from FLL, then check our bags at the Hilton Marina. Next we like to explore the town and have lunch preferably waterside. The ladies would like to do a little shopping either at the Galleria, Las Olas and/or at the Outlets before checking into the hotel. We will decide on Dinner later.

Budget isn't a primary concern. However, the cost for the water taxi for 4 is more expensive than the rental for 24 hours and it seems like we would be more restricted by relying solely on the Water Taxi. Based on everything I posted, what would you advise?

Check in to the Sun Trolley it goes to all locations, $3 pp for the entire day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Thoughts...

1. An SUV rental is almost twice as expensive as a full size car.

2. The Water Taxi is an enjoyable experience, but not a reliable mode of transportation (especially if it is raining) because it is slow and only works if everything you want to do is along the River.

3. If your flight is on time at 9:30 by the time you deplane, get your luggage and get to the hotel you're looking at at least 10:30 AM. That is not too early to check into the hotel if they have a room ready...and they probably will.

Check in to the Sun Trolley it goes to all locations, $3 pp for the entire day!

$3 Sun Trolley X 4 people = $12.00

Taxi from FLL = 20.00

Taxi to ship = 20.00

Total $52.00

Intermediate Rental Car from Enterprise - $63.39 with taxes and fees.

Edited by Lido_Deck

$3 Sun Trolley X 4 people = $12.00

Taxi from FLL = 20.00

Taxi to ship = 20.00

Total $52.00

Intermediate Rental Car from Enterprise - $63.39 with taxes and fees.

Uber is much less than taxis, $16 from FLL to CY Marriott on the Beach, $9 to PE! That's a vehicle, UberX, that holds much luggage and 2 people!

Besides will a $63 rental car hold four people and all the luggage?

Edited by mllewis48

I don't think the OP was necessarily concerned with saving a few $. Already stated that he knew the water taxi route cost more. And probably desires an SUV over regular size auto for 4 people plus luggage.

Uber from FLL to hotel and from port to FLL could be a reasonable option, assuming you get a larger sized Uber vehicle.

Granted the hop on-hop off trolley is a fine alternative to a water taxi or good for those wishing to save $ but the trolley has the same waiting/inconvenience/subject to weather as a water taxi.

So the question could be, why rent via Enterprise; or, why rent at the hotel versus the airport on arrival?

I don't think the OP was necessarily concerned with saving a few $. Already stated that he knew the water taxi route cost more. And probably desires an SUV over regular size auto for 4 people plus luggage.

Uber from FLL to hotel and from port to FLL could be a reasonable option, assuming you get a larger sized Uber vehicle.

Granted the hop on-hop off trolley is a fine alternative to a water taxi or good for those wishing to save $ but the trolley has the same waiting/inconvenience/subject to weather as a water taxi.

So the question could be, why rent via Enterprise; or, why rent at the hotel versus the airport on arrival?

It's a lot cheaper to rent from the hotel than the airport, plus I can turn the car in at the hotel first thing in the morning before going to the cruise terminal.

Price seemed to be an underlying issue.

With such a short trip and using Uber X there is not going to be a significant difference in fares compared to a taxi.

Agreed

I asked myself that same question until I checked the difference in rates. Right now prices with Enterprise are almost double at FLL what they are at the hotel.

I asked myself that same question until I checked the difference in rates. Right now prices with Enterprise are almost double at FLL what they are at the hotel.

Again, price isn't much of an issue. However, I would like to get my money's worth.

If you aren't going outlet shopping at Sawgrass Mills you don't need a rental car. Uber would be the easiest/least expensive way to get around. The airport/hotel/port/Galleria/and Las Olas are all within a short driving distance. Waterfront dining is out of the way unless you eat at Boatyard or Nanking. The Water Taxi is fun but is not a good means of transportation because it is so slow and you could wait a long time just to get picked up.

Edited by royalcruz

Thanks again for the suggestions. After further research, I decided to cancel the hotel rooms at the Hilton Marina and book 2 rooms at the Bahia Mar DoubleTree hotel. Bahia Mar DoubleTree has an outstanding Cruise & Stay rate which includes transportation to the cruise terminal, breakfast and WiFi.

I also cancelled the rental car since we will be within walking distance to shopping, restaurants and a little nightlife. I may be up for a little day drinking since I am on vacation and I don't have to drive. :D

Standby.

The more I research, the more times I change my mind. I will make a decision today and stick to that decision. The Embassy Suites 17th St has entered into the equation. They have a very attractive rate that includes transportation from the airport to the hotel, and from the hotel to the cruise terminal.

At this point, the least amount of coordination I have to do, the better. The Embassy Suites' rate will remove all transportation coordination from the equation.

Ughhhhh:o

Standby.

The more I research, the more times I change my mind. I will make a decision today and stick to that decision. The Embassy Suites 17th St has entered into the equation. They have a very attractive rate that includes transportation from the airport to the hotel, and from the hotel to the cruise terminal.

At this point, the least amount of coordination I have to do, the better. The Embassy Suites' rate will remove all transportation coordination from the equation.

Ughhhhh:o

What is most important to you?

Water Taxi?

Beach?

Shopping?

Nightlife?

Getting to the port is easy from all those locations so that should not be a big consideration in which hotel you choose unless you get a good price and it includes the transfers. A taxi with tip will cost you about $15-$20 and maybe a few dollars less with Uber. Both Bahia Mar and Hilton Marina have Water Taxi stops. The BM is close to the beach and the Embassy Suites is close to the Harbor Shops where there's a Publix Grocery Store, Total Wine and quite a few restaurants and shops.

What is most important to you?

Water Taxi?

Beach?

Shopping?

Nightlife?

Getting to the port is easy from all those locations so that should not be a big consideration in which hotel you choose unless you get a good price and it includes the transfers. A taxi with tip will cost you about $15-$20 and maybe a few dollars less with Uber. Both Bahia Mar and Hilton Marina have Water Taxi stops. The BM is close to the beach and the Embassy Suites is close to the Harbor Shops where there's a Publix Grocery Store, Total Wine and quite a few restaurants and shops.

Thanks Lido Deck.

I settled on the Embassy Suites. Traveling with 4 adults, I feel it's best to take as many options off of the table as possible. With the Embassy Suites, transfer from the hotel and to the terminal are all set. The only decisions we will have to make are what's for lunch and what's for dinner. With us having early flights, I do not anticipate any late night partying, especially after the Embassy Suites happy hour. I can envision walking to a restaurant near the Embassy Suites for lunch before checking in, then hanging around the hotel until happy hour. 1 day will not give us enough time to explore Ft Lauderdale. No need to schedule a bunch of activities.

Edited by SaintTaris

Thanks Lido Deck.

I settled on the Embassy Suites. Traveling with 4 adults, I feel it's best to take as many options off of the table as possible. With the Embassy Suites, transfer from the hotel and to the terminal are all set. The only decisions we will have to make are what's for lunch and what's for dinner. With us having early flights, I do not anticipate any late night partying, especially after the Embassy Suites happy hour. I can envision walking to a restaurant near the Embassy Suites for lunch before checking in, then hanging around the hotel until happy hour. 1 day will not give us enough time to explore Ft Lauderdale. No need to schedule a bunch of activities.

The problem with the ES transfer to the port is you are on their schedule and you have to go when they say so. I've seen other complaints here in the past about crowding and waiting, but I don't know anything from personal experience.

Again, you will probably be able to check into your room upon arrival, so make sure you check.

If you want to venture out away from the 17th Street area the Sun Trolley is a good way to do it.

http://www.suntrolley.com/routes-schedules-fares/

Edited by Lido_Deck

The problem with the ES transfer to the port is you are on their schedule and you have to go when they say so. I've seen other complaints here in the past about crowding and waiting, but I don't know anything from personal experience.

Again, you will probably be able to check into your room upon arrival, so make sure you check.

If you want to venture out away from the 17th Street area the Sun Trolley is a good way to do it.

http://www.suntrolley.com/routes-schedules-fares/

Lido Deck

$150 rate for room at Embassy Suites

$15=$20 for taxi/Uber from FLL to Hotel

$15 taxi to Cruise Terminal

is better than $190. You have a point.