2016/12/03 Eurodam

Goldeye

This was our 10th cruise with HAL, 2nd on the Eurodam. We were in a Neptune suite on the Rotterdam deck. The recent room renovations made me feel as if I was on a new ship. Excellently refurbished suite, loved the large screen Samsung TV, usb plugs, Bose Soundlink Mini, coffee maker and new balcony furnishings. What I did not understand is why the binoculars were not replaced as part of the refurbishment. These were the same binoculars that were on board when this ship was first commissioned, no question. Missing the neck strap, missing pieces and overall in poor shape. I suggest if this is important to you, bring your own.On the down side, the two brothers who were in the suite upwind and adjacent to us did not have any consideration to their neighbors as they spent a lot of time on their balcony chain smoking cigars making our balcony not a pleasant place to spend time. Unfortunate there are people who think only about themselves. Thankfully with HAL's recent change to the smoking policy, this is the last time we will have to deal with this type of ignorant, inconsiderate behavior. I realize smoking is permitted on balconies currently, and I really haven't minded this in the past, but come on - continuous cigar smoking? This was on a new level for us. Only other point on the downside was one of my wife's shirts came back with a large black grease stain on it. Noticed the same type of stain on 2 towels in our room and a tablecloth on the table next to ours in the dining room. Were told the stain must of been on the shirt prior to being sent to the laundry. Anyway, relatively minor points. Overall, cruise was very good though clearly understaffed, but we have already noticed this on recent past cruises.

As usual, room attendants were very good, staff in general were very friendly, . Neptune lounge staff excellent and I have not seen a more attentive Lido staff on any of my previous cruises. Not so much with the Pinnacle grill staff. Main dining room menu was generally OK, specialty restaurants very good.

Breakfast service in the Pinnacle Grill was unpredictable and generally chaotic. One couple left at one point because they were not being served. I observed wrong orders being served, long waits for service, missing items I ordered on 4 occasions, under cooked eggs on 1 occasion and obviously harried staff and they were clearly understaffed. If you can't supply the service, don't offer it as a perk. Dinner here was a different world. Food was impeccable and the staff attentive.

The Tamarind was my dinner high point. Once again, the staff was attentive and the food was again impeccable but it was the menu that stood out here. The wok seared Maine lobster with ginger and garlic was hands down my favorite dish on the cruise. I really believe you would not be disappointed with anything on the menu here.

The main dining room menu was good, was able to find at least 1 main item off the menu I enjoyed. No more crab but at least steak and lobster night remains intact. My favorite dessert is still there - the sorbets offered every night though not always shown on the menu. Service was always attentive.

New York Pizza was very good. The Dive In was a pleasant surprise. I am very picky with my burgers and the meat quality exceeded my expectations.

One big letdown - the Chocolate Extravaganza(?) evening. When I saw this on the When and Where program, I was elated as I remember these evenings in years gone by. I remember the chef's procession with all the lovely desserts so I grabbed my camera and headed to the 2nd deck in eager anticipation. People lined the aisles as I saw the procession proudly marching toward the Queen's lounge from the dining room. I couldn't believe my eyes - 8 staff members carrying 8 trays with 3(three) types of dainties and 1 type of chocolate drink in 1 ounce test tubes! I waited hoping the rest of the desserts would follow, but nay - that was it. However, moments later, out comes the serving staff with trays of high priced specialty drinks, more drink trays then dainty trays! I hope someone from HAL reads this because this had to be an embarrassment to the Chefs and staff taking part in this. How sad.

As usual, entertainment was hit and miss, but really enjoyed Randy Cabral - down to earth and very funny. Kevin Jordan was OK and all else did not really appeal to me. I am now over 60, but if Hal wants to attract a younger demographic, they really should do something to make some of the entertainment more appealing to my age group and younger. I would have to say at least 80% of of the passengers on this cruise were over 70. I don't have an issue with that as I do like a more laid back, non-partying cruise, just saying a venue more in line with the 30-60 age group would be a plus.

On that note, B.B. King's All Stars were OK but mostly 60's music - not my cup of tea. I mean they were good, but my previous paragraph explains my feelings. Kudos to the female singer that started the sets - enjoyed her singing and stage presence the most.

Musically, the highlight for me was Lincoln Center Stage. The string quartet and pianist were top notch and clearly enjoyed playing. These are professional musicians who emote what they are playing and in kind, I really felt what they were musically portraying. This is a welcome addition to HAL's entertainment program.

The ports were all good, nothing specific to say as they are what you make of them. Though I guess the best part for me is they were all safe ports unlike some of my previous stops in the Caribbean. I always felt comfortable just wandering.

Embarkation was smooth, only complaint here was suite passengers and 4-5 star mariners were taken up to the second floor to wait for embarkation. Staff did bring up trays of snacks but the fruit flavored waters were on the first floor for general boarding and were not brought up to us on the second level.

Overall, it was a very good cruise and will not hesitate to stay with HAL as our favorite mass market cruise line. With balcony smoking soon to become a thing of the past(finally) our future cruises with Holland America can only be better!

Thanks for your review. After our recent TA on the Eurodam and the many new changes we also felt like we were on a different ship.

Agree, Hal needs to change it's continuous recycled entertainers. For those that frequently cruise; how many times do we have to choose whether to watch the same ventriloquist or magic act? We enjoy BB King Blues Band.

On our Nov.TA I don't recall having any Chocolate Extravaganza, though we probably wouldn't have attended if there was.

Happy to hear you enjoyed your cruise.