Dunns River Falls - Kids

eagle92

First time DCL cruiser here and have a question for the experts.

Have seen a lot of talk on various boards that Dunns River Falls may be challenging/unenjoyable for kids.

Ours will be 10 and 9 and we currently have the Dunns River Express booked (DCL excursion).

We are sailing on a 7 night Western Caribbean itinerary in February.

Would love to hear folks' advice on this. We do have a pretty packed itinerary now with excursions booked in Cozumel (Mayan Chocolate Experience), Cayman (Stingray City), and Castaway Cay (Cabana) so if we don't do the falls the only other excursion that looks somewhat enticing is the river tubing or just making Jamaica a stay on the ship day.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks in advance!

It really would depend on you kids. There were some high step ups in spots but guides were right there to help you if needed. I thought it was a blast! We did not have any kids with us but I can say my DH is extremely out of shape and he did the whole climb up the falls. The currents can be a bit strong so if you kids are on the small side that might be hard for them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would keep the DRF excursion. Our kids have always enjoyed DRF.

No problem for kids of those age. Prepare to be completely soaked. Bring a change of clothes/water proof bag. Try to be near front of line near guide going up. ;)

DCL pax are well taken care of at DRF for some reason.

It's beautiful. You can buy a dvd of your group too. Pose for the videographer if interested.

You could add Mystic Mountain too for the bobsled. It's basically next door.

Now that was fun. Search for videos of MM bobsled.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/port-adventures/falmouth-jamaica-bobsled-jamaica-and-dunns-river-falls/

JMO

Edited by bear3412

Honestly depends on the kids. They need to be able to focus on the climb and their steps and pay attention or things could get dangerous. The guides of course will help.

Tubing is another excursion I would recommend (we did a private tour and covered both in one trip)

No way would I do this again and definitely not with my kids. I consider it to be dangerous on a good day. I have done this twice and both times someone in my party got hurt. You will be climbing up a mountain on slippery rocks covered in a moss like film and if it has rained recently the water flow can knock you down. Even if you make it up the mountain unscathed you then are treated to swarms of locals who do not take no for an answer trying to sell you junk. Put another way, you are in a foreign country with sub par medical care, do you really want to risk having your child break a leg , require stitches or god forbid something worse? Sorry, not a fan of this excursion......

been to DRF dozens of times and would take kids of reasonable age and ability any day of the week. No more dangerous than taking a hike in the woods if approached with the proper mindset. Most people visit with a cruiseship excursion and I do NOT go there this way.

DRF is a national park and you pay for a day's admission; $20 US adults, $12 kids. Excursions have you believe you pay for a one time climb, in a group, holding hands. This is simply not true. We take a taxi and stay for several hours and climb up down and sideways never with a guide (unless we have some one with us going for their first time ... then use a PRIVATE guide once). we enjoy the beach and the intermediate pools along the climb .... it is a fun day. Lockers and food are available.

drf2.jpg

drf4.jpg

drf1.jpg

An excursion forms strings of 25 people or so, has them hold hands and follow the prepared path for a one time climb and OUT. There's a problem with the hand holding IMO .... if a person holding your hand slips, guess what they grab to try and catch themselves ..... YOU! See the line holding hands behind us:

drf9.jpg

See the line on the left:

drf8.jpg

http://www.dunnsriverfallsja.com/

Iwould say tho that I only visit DRF when visiting Ocho .... it isn't worth the drive from Fal' or Montego ...

When my ships pulled R&R in Ocho, much of the the crew would spend all day and being mostly young men from 18 to 25 they got a bit crazy ... never had an injury more serious than a bruise .... altho I did loose a pair of ray bans back in 86'

Edited by Capt_BJ

Bagging Falmouth is understandable, considering the ..... :(

That's understandable after what I have read.

Or is what I read really valid. ? ? ? ;)

As long as you understand Jamaica has lots to offer and is a beautiful country.

Wait till you are approaching this amazing country aboard.

Seek a high exterior deck. And observe.

You could still get off briefly @ Falmouth to encounter the secured port area and Jamaican CBP. That's at least worth it IMO. Ask for a passport stamp too, and see what happens. ;)

The Falmouth port area is gorgeous if you like buildings, stone, shops, delusions, prefab experiences, and whatnot. That is where to experience the touristy factor

Enjoy a man made fake docking station with money grubbing fake stores within a fence. That is this port. Courtesy of RCCL. :eek:

If you want to experience Jamaica, you got to get outside the port fence.

I recommend booking a private driver. Either prior to sail, or even last minute. Save $$ (1/3 - 1/2) by negotiating on the spot, within the port.

The Jamaican Port Authority has cracked down on scrupulous drivers many years ago.

Anyone within this port fence is vetted, licensed, insured, etc.

No worries of those within. ;)

Negotiate once there. In the parking lot. You could save 40%.

Jamaica is beautiful.

A shame to miss it while docked so close.

So many things to encounter.

DRF, MM, MBR. WW, GR, TYF, RE, etc. ....

Regardless,

Enjoy

Rant Over

Did you notice we love JM ?

Edited by bear3412

DRF is pretty awesome.

Be sure to Wear/bring water shoes, and prepare for being soaked.

Arrive early. if possible, like DCL pax do.

Yes it is crowded. But you are a DCL pax. It becomes more crowded as the the day continues.

Go with the flow.

If on private tour, driver will integrate your party within the DCL group.

You want this, as they are treated better than other cruise pax.

Edited by bear3412

in my experience by noon all the cruise folks have cleared out of DRF and you can have the place practically to yourself after that ....

with regard to 'dangers' I note a current thread about 4 injuries at Castaway , one resulting in delayed departure of FANT' as they waited on a helo for medivac

hence Castaway ' sounds too dangerous to me .... one on the slide, another from snorkeling ....

Edited by Capt_BJ

Be aware that if you go to DRF, it is completely up to you whether or not you climb the falls. There is a walkway/stairway along the side, for viewing, so if you get to the bottom and feel that it's too much, too crowded, or whatever, you can opt out completely, or the family members who want to brave it can climb while the others can watch and take photos.

• 1 month later...

Hi. I may be late to the party considering your post was last December. I have heard DRF may be a little challenging but we are looking to book a fun outing with an outside tour guide who gets incredible reviews on trip advisor. Phil Lafayette in Jamaica (google him!). I spoke to him on the phone and he would do a customized blue hole and river tubing trip. Very reasonably priced and as I said, his customers love him. Much cheaper than the DCL excursion and this is a smaller and more personal experience. We need more people to join us to make it happen though. It's me, my wife and my 10yr old son. We're from CT and hope to get more folks to join us so we can make it happen. Feel free to email me directly at aarongreenberger@yahoo.com

Sent from my iPhone using Forums