Any information on Singapore to Dubai itinerary

Phillygirl3

My husband and I are contemplating doing Encore's Singapore to Dubai itinerary in April but would like to know if this is, indeed, an interesting itinerary. Also, we are going to fly into Singapore for a pre-cruise day and wonder if there is any time in Dubai, before we are taken to the airport. Most people that we know who have visited Dubai have told us the it is worthy of seeing the architecture and the wow factor that it brings, but beyond that, it isn't worth the extra days. Thanking you in advance for any feedback you may be able to provide.

Travelled this route on Sojourn last year. A lot of sea days but that was fine for us and the on board entertainment was good. India is the highlight it can be polarising but we loved it especially Mumbai. Colombo in Sri Lanka was excellent and Muscat interesting.

The downside was the Middle East. Other than as a useful travel hub Dubai is full of bling and high rises. Abu Dhabi more of the same and the trip to the island Safari Park a waste of time.

Singapore is a great city with top notch food,sights,shopping and everything works.

So in summary if you like India or wish to visit for the first time you will enjoy this itinerary. If not I would look at a Singapore -Hong Kong trip instead.

Enjoy!

My husband and I are contemplating doing Encore's Singapore to Dubai itinerary in April but would like to know if this is, indeed, an interesting itinerary. Also, we are going to fly into Singapore for a pre-cruise day and wonder if there is any time in Dubai, before we are taken to the airport. Most people that we know who have visited Dubai have told us the it is worthy of seeing the architecture and the wow factor that it brings, but beyond that, it isn't worth the extra days. Thanking you in advance for any feedback you may be able to provide.

We are on this cruise and have booked via Shore Excursions:

"Dubai Sights with Airport Transfer". You will find Details on Seabourn Excursions. Be aware that it depends on your departing time of your flight

from Dubai. Cost: US$ 53.10.

That's a seriously boring itinerary IMO. The ship is too big to call at the most interesting places - the Andaman Islands and Galle, for instance, not to mention amazing Calcutta and Madras. Too many sea days unless you are there for the ship, not the trip.

I've done Singapore to Rome, and most of the ports on our voyage were not interesting: Salalah was the worst, followed by Mangalore. Tilawa was too far and inconvenient for Yangoon. Even Phuket and Kochin were only mildly interesting. Maybe you'll have better ports on your voyage?

As for Dubai, I've been there several times, for 2-4 days average each trip. It's not fascinating, but there are enough to do for a couple of days. Old Dubai is worth half to a full day with a great museum that's informative and entertaining. Wild Wadi is a fun water park (if you're into that sort of things). The gigantic malls are worth seeing, once.

Edited by sfvoyage

Thanks for your honest feedback. Based on what I am hearing from fellow cruisers, we are now rethinking the itinerary. While I would like to see the architecture of Dubai, I'm wondering if it's worth the length of the flight or should I just watch it via video. Thanks to all who replied or will reply.

I am in Dubai at the moment and have enjoyed our first day yesterday. Busy itinerary so I need to get going but will give more detail soon. We are heading off tomorrow for two nights in the desert at a resort so will have time to write more.

As the Encore will be starting the reverse itinerary of Dubai to Singapore on 20 December you might get more of a feel of what's on offer soon. Hopefully internet and time will allow some of us to report back.

It is always difficult to know whether to recommend a place or not as people's interests can vary so widely. For instance the Andaman Islands are interesting if your into snorkelling/diving and natural beauty..........not so much if your interests lie in shopping, city life infrastructure and everything that entails.

I like both so I'm easily pleased.

Julie

Thanks for your honest feedback. Based on what I am hearing from fellow cruisers, we are now rethinking the itinerary. While I would like to see the architecture of Dubai, I'm wondering if it's worth the length of the flight or should I just watch it via video. Thanks to all who replied or will reply.

I have done this itinerary and loved it. I have been to Dubai twice and find it the most overrated, over built and over hyped place in the world. Sure, if you like malls but I have a mall a mile from me. It's a cultural wasteland. The creek area and the souks are interesting but that just takes a 1/2 day. OTTH, I loved Mumbai and Colombo/Galle. I also love days at sea.

We are now on regent Dubai to Singapore! We are loving it!

Dubai for us is catch up your time change--remember it is 12 hours! Jet lag for us is serious.

We loved each of the stops on our trip. We went to five ports in India and loved each one! Remember the names in India have all changed!

In Burma-Myanmar no ship can go further than Thalia because the river is not open to us. The sites up the Irrawaddy are terrific! It takes 1/2 a day to go up the river and the tide is vigorous, so everything can change in a minute! Then you go by land to Rangoon or fly north to Bagan or to mandalay we just came down the Irrawaddy and are steaming to Phuket. We are spending Christmas in Singapore which is gorgeous at a Christmas! It isn't just sky scrapers and American malls. The malls here are very different!