Re: Breeze Two Words That Will Ruin Your Cruise

Cruiseathoning

I'm curious where does your research come from if not reviews?

Online but certainly not places like cruise critic or yelp'ish type sites thar are all too negative. You can read all kinds of info about all kinds of things that are typically unbiased. And most always i go explore stuff on my own without the help of others. Dont get me wrong i read reviews but i also dismiss most everything since they are usually just related to one bad incident

Online but certainly not places like cruise critic or yelp'ish type sites thar are all too negative. You can read all kinds of info about all kinds of things that are typically unbiased. And most always i go explore stuff on my own without the help of others. Dont get me wrong i read reviews but i also dismiss most everything since they are usually just related to one bad incident

Not to beat a dead horse but you named cruise critic and yelp why not name these other 'online' sites with more accurate information? I don't know what explore stuff on your own means unless you go and hope for the best. I am usually paying quite a bit $ for a vacation and don't mind researching so I can have a reasonable expectation of fun.

How did people travel before internet ? Its not hard to just see what a place offers, decide if its something you would like to do and go do it. Im typically off work - which i like to call vacation anywhere from 6 to 10 weeks a year. Sometimes i just jump in a car and drive in a direction with little to no idea where im headed, i like to fly somewhere for a long weekend just cuz the price was good, ive booked a cruise just because theres a port i havent been to before, ill see a commercial for something and think that looks fun or if it peaks my interest and i go. I dont need others to review it for me, ill know first hand if i liked it of not.

How did people travel before internet ? Its not hard to just see what a place offers, decide if its something you would like to do and go do it. Im typically off work - which i like to call vacation anywhere from 6 to 10 weeks a year. Sometimes i just jump in a car and drive in a direction with little to no idea where im headed, i like to fly somewhere for a long weekend just cuz the price was good, ive booked a cruise just because theres a port i havent been to before, ill see a commercial for something and think that looks fun or if it peaks my interest and i go. I dont need others to review it for me, ill know first hand if i liked it of not.

That's great. You're happy with your way of vacationing. It's sound like you have fun.

Funny you should ask how people traveled before the internet and make a statement like it's not hard to see what a place offers. Way back before the internet was popular and people still relied on the yellow pages, I used to drive by a motel /cottage like place on my way to work everyday. It was in a not very good part of town. To be honest I thought they were just shacks that really poor people lived in until I saw the advertisement in the yellow pages. It described the place as a vacation paradise even had little drawings of the "cottages". It was a great learning experience I got for free.

That's great. You're happy with your way of vacationing. It's sound like you have fun.

Funny you should ask how people traveled before the internet and make a statement like it's not hard to see what a place offers. Way back before the internet was popular and people still relied on the yellow pages, I used to drive by a motel /cottage like place on my way to work everyday. It was in a not very good part of town. To be honest I thought they were just shacks that really poor people lived in until I saw the advertisement in the yellow pages. It described the place as a vacation paradise even had little drawings of the "cottages". It was a great learning experience I got for free.

Yellow pages and the such are advertisments not reviews they simply state what they are and have to offer. Ill see a commercial for somewhere and think i want to go there , ill go to their website and see if they have something id like to experience. The first time i went to mardi gras i just starting driving south one morning and by night fall i was in new orleans. Mind you i live just outside chicago and i thought it would be cool to drive from one end of I55 to the other. No research just an idea, no plans, no reservations, just a dependable car and some cash. Its not always the case but i really try to stay away from others person opinions. What works for me certainly doesnt work for most.

Anyone that owns a motorcycle knows its the journey not always the destination. To me the destination is just the cherry on top. And the journey home is always just as fun.

I'm searching for a single cup coffee maker as a Christmas present to me. I have read about a gazillion reviews, watched a hundred you tube presentations, read all the advertisement and I am as confused now as I was before I starting researching.

Two reviews can be polar opposites. Unless you "know" the person reviewing the item, whether a cruise or a coffee maker, you have no way of of knowing how personalities play a part in someone's concept of their experiences. Personal biases always play a part, as does the glass half full or half empty correlation.

I can think of lots of books I wouldn't have read and enjoyed, or countless movies I wouldn't have seen and been mesmerized by if "reviews" shaped my life. I need to take all reviews with that proverbial grain of salt and in the end only I can judge, by personal experience, whether the review was warranted or not...and I refuse to repeat elements in a review as fact when nothing has been actually proven to me that a person's review is indeed without bias.

Sorry that was a confusing statement - but basically what I mean is I don't want to go on vacation and be less than comfortable just for the opportunity to get away from home. Does that make sense?

Sure, has that been your experience?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Def time to move on then.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I know right ? If the average human has 5 million hair follicles on their body and there are 6000 humans on a cruise ship and not taking into account measures to prevent hair loss , how covered or uncovered people are or even shaved body parts. I can only imagine its alot more than just that one hair.

Its not acceptable but quite understandable when it happens.

I know right ? If the average human has 5 million hair follicles on their body and there are 6000 humans on a cruise ship and not taking into account measures to prevent hair loss , how covered or uncovered people are or even shaved body parts. I can only imagine its alot more than just that one hair.

Its not acceptable but quite understandable when it happens.

Stuff happens..... I actually had worse once at Morton's.....

What a load. So many of your posts consist of flawed logic disguised and presented as insight. If a person posting says the new cabins over the new theater set up are noisy, that's a fact based on their experience. When mathematics indicates that Sunshine has the least square footage per passenger in the fleet, I guess that's just a perspective also.

Sure, people can and do have fun on Sunshine. But that doesn't mean they are wrong to think that a different ship would meet their expectations more.

I guess it's just a perception that it has such a low rating.

And this happens on all cruise lines. The two lowest rated ships in the Princess fleet are its two newest. People read the reviews that discuss the changes from previous design (no exterior promenade, smaller balconies, less pool space yet more passengers) and say, no thanks, I'll sail one of the other Princess ships that meets my needs better. Other people did not make the decision for them; other people's experiences and opinions help them make an informed decision.

"Reviews based on their perception of what happened." ??? Is this cruising existentialism? Was the review by Jean-Paul Sartre or Salvador Dali? People discuss their experiences and things that occurred.

If I'm deciding between purchasing a Chrysler 200 and a Chevy Malibu, I'd be a fool not to utilize owner's reviews that reveal their experiences and perceptions.

This poster did not let others make the decision for him. As is often the case, you frame your wording to fit your point. He used the experiences and opinions of others to guide his decision. One can choose a different Carnival ship that people seem to enjoy more. It would be foolish not to approach all purchases that way.

No, my logic isn't flawed and I'll use your example. The cabins over the new theater are noisy. To whom? To a deaf person, no problem at all. To me who sleeps like a brick, again no problem. To a light sleeper is could be noisy. It's called perspective and is not factual in basis. If you want to state that the noise level in cabin 6202 during a theater show registered 84 dB then you would have factual information. Just as the passenger sq foot ratio is factual information. But like so many reviews, you read "the food sucked", "the service was slow", "the ship feels cramped", etc.....which is purely the perspective of that person and isn't quantifiable or useful information for anyone else because we all perceive things differently.

If you, like gklow, want to use someone's emotional rant to decide what ships you wish to sail, that's fine. What really irritates me is when someone, such a gklow, then attempt to use that same flawed data to tell others a certain ship isn't worth sailing. IMO, no one has the right to tell anyone else which ships are good to sail or not sail unless they have actually been on the ship they are talking about.

BTW, logic is never "a load" of anything. try using it some time.

I'm curious where does your research come from if not reviews?

For factual information, the Carnival website pretty much has it all. For experiences with a ship, sail her so you'll know what it's like from your perspective.

Funny thing is, maybe 3% of the cruising population is a member here. Of that 3%, maybe 1% will post a review. So people are making decisions based on what every 3 out of about 1,000 people think about a ship. Waaaaaaay too small of a sample to even really be useful along with the emotional baggage many reviews carry with them.

Edited by Computer Nerd

People who don't research purchases or read reviews drove a Yugo for 3 months. That is a fact, to quote Casey Stengal , "If you don't believe me you can look it up"

Personally, I research facts......mpg, costs to maintain, physical size, insurance costs, etc........and not someone's emotionally charged review before deciding to spend thousands of dollars. And then I personally take it out for a test drive before deciding (that means my butt was actually in the car).

For factual information, the Carnival website pretty much has it all. For experiences with a ship, sail her so you'll know what it's like from your perspective.

Funny thing is, maybe 3% of the cruising population is a member here. Of that 3%, maybe 1% will post a review. So people are making decisions based on what every 3 out of about 1,000 people think about a ship. Waaaaaaay too small of a sample to even really be useful along with the emotional baggage many reviews carry with them.

This is not the only site for reviews. If I can gain information without wasting time and money I will. I think there is a difference between taking every word in a review as gospel and using critical thinking to judge the information and it's possible relevance to me.

This is not the only site for reviews. If I can gain information without wasting time and money I will. I think there is a difference between taking every word in a review as gospel and using critical thinking to judge the information and it's possible relevance to me.

Well stated.

A review, or opinion, is too small a sample size to be taken seriously. I've never booked, or not booked, a cruise based on anything read here. Let's face it, a ship and her crew perform differently from one cruise to another. The passengers, which can affect a cruise for better or worse, are also different cruise to cruise. A large collection of reviews and the averaging of the scores from them might hold some value, but a single review... no. I think most realize this.

A review, or opinion, is too small a sample size to be taken seriously. I've never booked, or not booked, a cruise based on anything read here. Let's face it, a ship and her crew perform differently from one cruise to another. The passengers, which can affect a cruise for better or worse, are also different cruise to cruise. A large collection of reviews and the averaging of the scores from them might hold some value, but a single review... no. I think most realize this.

Agree, especially the impression made by only a single rude and inefficient crew, affecting the rest of hundreds, if not thousand, of good crew.

Edited by easyboy

When it comes to reviews and using them to help plan or purchase anything, there is weight to both sides of the review coin. You just have to sift through the emotional aspect to get to the real issue, good or bad. Some folks are just pre-disposed to overlook the small stuff, others are not. Does that make the folks that are bothered by problem "X" a less valuable resource than someone who just loved everything? I think not.

When it comes to spending my money on things like vacations or large purchases you can bet I do a lot of research. There is no way you can completely judge something by it's reviews, but you can glean certain information that might apply to how you like to travel and what you expect and use it as a guide. If I'm picky about noise, then I will pay a little more attention to reviews that point out noisy locations for rooms. If I sleep like a log, maybe I would overlook complaints like that. If I had a finicky stomach or was picky eater, then comments on food variety/quality would carry more importance.

We just cruised on the somewhat crippled Liberty(before dry dock and port swap). My research (taking into account both the good and bad, including an altered itinerary) swayed me into keeping that reservation and taking the cruise. It went well for us, but I can see how there might be more than a few things that could result in a negative experience for others. So, does the fact that I had a good cruise invalidate someone else's bad experience? Nope, because reviews area personal thing. If you disagree with a review, that's perfectly fine, but because you disagree doesn't mean that the reviewers experience was not valid based on THEIR reactions, expectations etc.

I'm doing my preliminary research on the Breeze and will hopefully be able to balance out the hyper positive from extremely negative and make an informed decision. Luckily I have plenty of time before I need to seriously think about booking.