Joining the cruise mid-itinerary due to missed flight

mary_228

i think you may be correct as to San Jua n. We once boarded in San Juan, sailedrto Panama canal with stops going and coming and ended our cruise in FLl. The cruise WAS SOLD AS SUCH AND WE boarded according to what we' 'bought.' We had no issue at all.

Edited by sail7seas

No passport needed for a US citizen to fly from mainland US to St. Thomas or Puerto Rico.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are correct, BUT if you join in STT you are not on a closed loop cruise so you need a passport. OP has mentioned that all in the party have passports.

and to clarify, even if this doesn't apply to the OP, but for some itineraries, you will not be allowed to board in a later port. One example are northbound Alaskan cruises which begin in Vancouver. Miss that port and you've lost your whole cruise. And add to this, ships departing from this port can't always be held up for any late passengers if the tides make a later sailing impossible.

For my family, we've decided early on that if we don't have the extra day to get to the embarkation port (other than for the Port of Los Angeles, which we would drive to) at least a day early, we won't book that cruise.

Had a funny experience several years ago. Major snowstorm during a Feb Caribbean cruise. A lot of people caught the ship at the first port of call.

They had a make up muster drill and this guy was headed up on deck carrying his life jacket. One lady stopped him and asked if there was a problem.

"You didn't hear the announcement?"

I got a good laugh out of that one.

Just thougth I'd closed the loop at least as far as my trip is concerned.

Our oldest child was travelling from NYC and she had a long delay but our flight from ORD went off without a hitch. Probably because I worried and planned for every eventuality ;) Boy am I ready to get on the ship!

Anyway, hopefully this will be a helpful thread for other cruisers this winter travel season.

Very happy you made it to F lorida. THANk you for letting us know. So often, people come here, we stress iwth them and then we never hear how they made out. thought ful of you to think to tell us.

Have a GEREAT cruise and safe, stress free fllight home.

Edited by sail7seas

Very happy you made it to F lorida. THANk you for letting us know. So often, people come here, we stress iwth them and then we never hear how they made out. thought ful of you to think to tell us.

Have a GEREAT cruise and safe, stress free fllight home.

I agree! Thanks for the update!

• 1 month later...

We actually had this happen to us on our very first cruise. We were able to get our airline tickets changed at know cost to get us to key west from Miami, where we were suppose to board the ship. It was a nightmare! No hotels available and we had to sleep outside that night. You must get a letter from your airline stating why you were late. Without this letter, which we failed to get, we had a lot of extra hassle. Thankfully we had all our tickets as proof and after the ship investigated we were let in but we had to pay 300$ pp per the jones act which is to protect against terrorism.

(clip)... we had to pay 300$ pp per the jones act which is to protect against terrorism.

Not the Jones Act, but the PVSA (Passenger Vessel Service Act) from 1886. The Jones Act deals with carrying cargo, while the PVSA deals with carrying passengers (the title of the act kind of has a huge hint ;)). I haven't a clue as to why you think either Act is to "protect against terrorism". Both Acts are to 'protect' US flag carriers from foreign competition.

Edited by Mary Ellen