Spa and Pool (ladies swimwear question)

mainewoods

I feel rather silly asking, but before I buy swimwear, I need to hear from some of my fellow lady travelers about their thoughts on this subject.

I have an upcoming voyage (my 5th or 6th on QM2 so far) and I've never paid much attention to the pool areas, and have never utilized the spa. Mainly, because of my extreme self-consciousness about how I look in a swimsuit. Because of it, I haven't gone swimming since I was a teenager - unless it was in a private pool and I could cover up till entering...

Well ladies, I've finally gotten up the nerve to try the spa pool, with some coaching and guidance from my SIL. But still feeling embarrassed about my lack of knowledge of proper spa swimsuit etiquette, my search for swimsuit attire did lead me to a nice option that I think even I could feel comfortable wearing (figuring that a full length ankle to neck wet suit would be out of place). I found what looks to be a bathing suit material shorts. Sort of like yoga pants, or leggings, but they're shorts. They have different lengths, but the ones I particularly like are just at the knee. And worn with a tankini top. They're advertised as swim shorts. They also have swim shirts, which are very nice, but I feel they're not quite long enough for me.

Would I look silly or out of place if I wore these (knee length swim shorts) in the spa pool (or even the swimming pools if I got up enough nerve)? But I do want to point out that, even if I'm more comfortable wearing something like that, I would not be comfortable being out of place or looking just downright silly. I do care about that, and might need to look at a regular bathing suit and sarong if that's the case.

What do woman (say, nearing 60 years old) wear at the spa pool?

Thank you, and I look forward to your opinions.

Edited by mainewoods

Hi Mainewoods. I've never used the spa pool, but I've often used both the Pavilion Pool and the larger outdoor pool. Over the years I've noticed the increased popularity of bathing suits that cover more skin (like swim shirts and shorts) due to awareness about the dangers of over-exposure to the sun. I think whatever you select will be fine.

Hope you have a very good voyage. -S.

Greetings. I too am extremely self conscious, and rarely show my self in public (even with family) unless I'm covered to atleast the knees. I've got thunder-thighs, big boobs, loose flabby belly and arm flaps that could probably get me in flight if I tried hard enough...lol.

I'm very much sharing your same concerns about swimming attire. Cruising to the Caribbean for the first time in March, and I will have to find cooler attire. The thought of what to wear in the water is daunting. Is it acceptable to wear the lycra type yoga shorts, or looser legged board shorts? I know men tend to wear those, but do a number of women too?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

I'm addressing the spa on the QM2. Any of the proposed bathing costumes would work nicely. I wear bathing shorts, a skort (skirt in front, shorts in back) yoga pants and a coordinating tankini type top. To get to the spa, I wear lose yoga pants and a T-shirt. A warm-up suit would work, too. They have lockers for your stuff.

Once you get to the spa, well it's a spa. If you are taking advantage of the services, they will provide you with a robe and shoes. In the therapy pool area, you can wear a robe inside, drop it on a chair and ease into the water. While it's mixed sex, no one's really looking. You can wear your bathing costume into the various saunas. Or, you can wrap a towel around yourself.

My late mother had a philosophy about getting undressed in front of strangers in a large communal dressing room. She said to look around. No matter how bad you felt about your body, there would be somebody who would look worse. Therefore, you must look better!

Really, don't miss the spa experience because you are too modest. Everyone else is half undressed, too. It's a wonderful way to spend the afternoon splashing about. You come out so relaxed. You will want time for a nap afterwards.

Its a funny name, & has nothing to do with a "rash"... but its the long sleeved and to the neck sort of 'shirt' many many folks wear for sun protection. I swim daily in the Pacific, and use it 100 % of the time. And I used it on the QE last March>>May on 1/2 of the w/c., in the outdoor pools when it was warm enough. For the bottoms, I use "surfer" type swim shorts.

Bottom line--- no one really cares what you look like, or what you wear.

Thank you so much for all of your comments. It really did help me feel better about getting those swim shorts. I'm actually looking forward to trying out the spa now. Sitting here in below 0 Fahrenheit weather (actual, not wind chill) that warm spa is sounding mighty nice right about now.

Thank you again. I really appreciate your help. Now shopping I shall go...

Oooo I so love shopping for my voyages!

Hi, I have no QM2 experience, only QE and QV.

I am very large and very self conscious about it. In spa pools I wear a swimdress which hides the tops of my legs. I wear a normal costume in the pools but tend to use the pools at about 6 in the evening when there is virtually no one around to see me as everyone seems to drift away either to early sitting dinner or to get ready for later. The pools are still warm and it is a nice time to have a swim, then go straight for a shower and to get dressed for dinner. We even do this in wintertime and will do on the new years cruise on QE in two weeks time.

Oh I do sympathise. I'm also knocking 60 and overweight. I also struggle with swimwear. It always takes me days to pluck up the courage to use the pool and then I regret the missed opportunities.

My tactic is to wear a coverall down to the pool and then, when I've got my courage, I take it off (avoiding eye-contact with anyone) and just walk calmly to the pool and in. I also keep my sunglasses on - partly because I'm almost blind without them and also because I feel it preserves my anonymity (even though in reality I know it doesn't). Oh - that's in the outdoor pool but it's sort of the same in the spa. Then once I'm in, I'm just so happy and weightless that nothing else matters.

I also know, as others have said, that no-one cares what I look like, but I care, so I know how you feel. But you're never going to see these people again and I just hold that in my head. Just like I do when I say the wrong thing at the dinner table.

Go for it! xx

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow ladies, I didn't realize that there were so many of us that felt the same way about swimwear.

After reading all your supportive posts, I did order the knee length swim shorts (almost the length of knee-knockers or pedal pushers - wow, how old am I?) and a tankini. I'm going for it! Now I just wish I had more time on the ship than the 5 night voyage I'm signed up for. Perhaps the Caribbean or a nice B2B will have a sale later in the year.

The pool sounds lovely in the evening. I'm at the first sitting while you all are enjoying the pools.

Cheers ladies!

I agree with others who say wear what you're comfortable in.

For getting to and from a pool, I wear a dress over my bathing suit. I look for an inexpensive patio dress or something like that. I like it because I can wear it home after I swim and take off the suite (that's when I'm at home and driving to/from the pool). I do the same thing on the ship, whether I change in the spa or go back to my room. I like that it's "clothes" so I don't feel inappropriate if I stop at the buffet to grab a coffee on the way to my room.

I'm not plus-sized (but not as slim as I was before I hit my 60s), so I have bit more scope for shopping than some of the other posters here, but I've found the junior department of Kohls or Target has cheap lightweight knit dresses (spring/summer season) that work well as a cover-up. Maybe something from one of the plus-size chains might be an inexpensive solution?

If you'd like a man's opinion here goes.

I agree totally with the posters above who say wear what you are comfortable in.

My wife tends to take a couple of swimsuits, and couple of those throw over top things and cotton shorts to cover the swimsuit when we decide a quick snack is in order at the buffet. Couple of pairs of comfortable flip flops and a sun hat and she is sorted. Don't forget a beach bag to put your stuff in. Another useful thing to take is a large bath size towel, sometimes the ship's towels are on the small side. Only faux pas we've had was when when we got to the pool and another lady was wearing the same swimsuit. Both ladies complemented each other on their choice and laughed it off.

So just be yourself and you'll get on fine. I've always found people to be much more interesting than the clothes they wear. Fashions come ago and I bet everyone has looked ridiculous at one time. Ultimately nobody bothers to much or cares what others are wearing.

And if you need one accessory guaranteed to make you look great, in any situation, don't forget a nice smile. Always works well. :)

I wore a bikini top and knee length board shorts and nobody looked at me twice.

People really are too busy to care what others are wearing, I agree with everybody else. Wear whatever you're comfortable in, nobody will bat and eyelid :)

It's your holiday!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you'd like a man's opinion here goes.

I agree totally with the posters above who say wear what you are comfortable in.

My wife tends to take a couple of swimsuits, and couple of those throw over top things and cotton shorts to cover the swimsuit when we decide a quick snack is in order at the buffet. Couple of pairs of comfortable flip flops and a sun hat and she is sorted. Don't forget a beach bag to put your stuff in. Another useful thing to take is a large bath size towel, sometimes the ship's towels are on the small side. Only faux pas we've had was when when we got to the pool and another lady was wearing the same swimsuit. Both ladies complemented each other on their choice and laughed it off.

So just be yourself and you'll get on fine. I've always found people to be much more interesting than the clothes they wear. Fashions come ago and I bet everyone has looked ridiculous at one time. Ultimately nobody bothers to much or cares what others are wearing.

And if you need one accessory guaranteed to make you look great, in any situation, don't forget a nice smile. Always works well. :)

What a lovely post. Kudos to you and your wife.

Great ideas on the dress/cover-up for going back to my room as I didn't even think of that. I just assumed I'd change there in the spa. I think I'd much rather shower and change in my room where I have all my stuff - but definitely don't want to go into public areas unless I was dressed appropriately. I have a couple of those 'walkabout knit dresses' from Travelsmith that would work perfectly for this - and bonus... I just went on and bought another one. I do wonder how icky it would feel with a wet bathing suit underneath your dress, but I guess it would only be a few minutes as I stop by at the King's Court on my way to the room.

Do the bathing suits dry okay if you rinse them out in your sink and hang them on the line in the shower? I'm wondering if I could wring them out enough. Or do you place them out on the balcony - draped over a chair, out of sight. We have a sheltered balcony in July.

Great ideas on the dress/cover-up for going back to my room as I didn't even think of that. I just assumed I'd change there in the spa. I think I'd much rather shower and change in my room where I have all my stuff - but definitely don't want to go into public areas unless I was dressed appropriately. I have a couple of those 'walkabout knit dresses' from Travelsmith that would work perfectly for this - and bonus... I just went on and bought another one. I do wonder how icky it would feel with a wet bathing suit underneath your dress, but I guess it would only be a few minutes as I stop by at the King's Court on my way to the room.

Do the bathing suits dry okay if you rinse them out in your sink and hang them on the line in the shower? I'm wondering if I could wring them out enough. Or do you place them out on the balcony - draped over a chair, out of sight. We have a sheltered balcony in July.

The spa has one of those spin-dry things to get the water out of your bathing suit, but that would mean you'd have to change there. I usually change in my room and rinse my suit in the sink. I leave it in the sink to drain for a few minutes, then squeeze out the excess water and hang it on the line in the shower. You can also roll the suit in a towel and then step on the towel to get more water out of it. That leaves you with a very wet towel, but the bathing suit will dry faster.

I know the kind of dress you mean. It would make a nice cover-up, but it will get wet from the bathing suit. That's why I look for something cheap. If the water/chlorine fades it, I'm not out a lot of money. I got a few years out of a short caftan sort of knit dress I picked up on sale at Kohls, and that's wearing it several times a week to go to the pool in the summer. That always seems to be the way for me. The cheap bathing suit I figure I can afford to bleach in the hot tub goes on for years, while the expensive one fades in a few uses...

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

I have a full length beach dress made of t shirt material which I put on over the top of my costume to get both to and from the pool in warmer weather. It gets a bit damp but I just leave it over a chair in my room and it soon dries. My costume gets rinsed in the sink and dries overnight in the shower.

In winter I use a dressing gown on top instead of the dress as it is warmer. I take my own as the Cunard ones are too small. Mine is very similar to look at but has my initials on it so it doesn't stand out. We usually use the lido pool on QE or QV and scurry into the adjacent lifts in our gowns, go down to our floor and walk along the corridors to our room.

I totally agree that your bathing attire is fine. But I have to chuckle at everyone saying nobody notices or really cares what you wear. This is the Cunard board...home of very opinionated clothes threads :D

For the sake of accuracy - no, not "everyone said nobody notices or really cares what you wear", as you will see if you read the entire thread.

I believe it is fair to say that there are many frequent Cunard passengers who take the dress code seriously. But to the best of my recollection, I have not read any personal criticism of women's pool-side attire on this forum. On board ship, I have not overheard any conversation berating another passengers swimwear, most likely because we're all in the same boat :D

HOWEVER, there have been comments made about passengers dressing inappropriately while walking from the pool through public areas of the ship (such as Speedo-wearing-seniors walking through Veranda at lunch time). Frankly, I don't understand how passengers could feel comfortable coming from a warm pool to the cooler temperatures of the interior of the ship without wearing a cover-up. But that's just my very opinionated view.:D

Happy sails,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

I always relax in one of the lounge chairs in the spa wither with a book or my iPad, before going back to my room and I am almost completely dry before I leave. The spa on the QM2 if fabulous, enjoy the experience.

I'm glad I'm not alone! I hate it when I want to go for a swim...I wear a one piece costume (usually black) and wear a pair of board shorts on top of my costume....self,conscious the whole time due to my rather wide girth! However I use,the pools a lot on all the ships I have been on and have never encountered any problems.

Have a lovely time,