Pillows!

annieuk

We have just come back from a fantastic cruise on Aurora. We have always slept very well on any P&O cruise ship but this time there was a problem. Aurora has had a refit since we were last on her and they have replaced all the pillows. The new ones are incredibly thick, and we both found them very uncomfortable. When I asked our table companions what they thought two of them said the same thing. So I asked our Cabin Steward and she said she'd try to find me one of the old much thinner pillows which she eventually did. I usually had two of the old pillows but with the new ones, one was not enough and two was impossible, gave me neck ache!

Anyway, I'm assuming that these new pillows have been introduced fleet wide. We are off on Ventura in January and I'm assuming we will have the same problem. It sounds ridiculous to be talking about pillows but it can make the difference between a good and a poor night's sleep. I can't believe I'm saying this but I am tempted to take my own pillow from home - we go from Southampton - but I feel rather a fool for even thinking of doing this.

Have any other passengers had a problem with the new pillows? Other than that we had a fantastic time, the ship looked wonderful, decorated for Christmas, the Captain was amusing and very people friendly - Andrew Hall - and the service on the ship was amongst the best we've ever had.

I too have major problems with the pillows and the mattresses. We always sail from Southampton so I have resolved the issue by taking travel mattress toppers and my pillows. They fit into two giant holdalls and we always look as if we will be on the ship for months! Having spent a LOT of money on accupuncture to relieve the pain in my neck, which started on the Aurora, I do not want it starting up again.

This problem is the same on Oriana and Aurora. In fact, when we sailed on Oriana in September, the cabin steward informed me, as soon as he introduced himself, that he had placed an extra duvet on top of the mattress and got me feather pillows as they had had instructions from shoreside. Not sure how that happened! Later in the cruise we had lunch with the Senior officer in charge of housekeeping and he also asked if my bed was OK. Not only that, the deck supervisor also told me he had checked that the beds had been made up to our satisfaction as he too, was aware from shoreside that we have problems. I have no idea how shoreside got involved but it could be that we have sailed with P&O a lot and they have made notes of our preferences, requests etc. and are attempting to pre-empt them.

Do not think twice now about taking whatever you need to make your trip comfortable for you. Other people may scoff, but it's you who have to suffer if the mattress or pillows give you problems.

Pat

I found the pillows to be ok, but a touch too thick and a little unforgiving. I found my head slightly higher than I liked. It didn't cause me a problem and I slept fine (always do at sea!), but I'd prefer a slightly thinner version.

The best pillows I ever had were on the Queen Victoria. No idea what type they were but I've never slept so good!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My Father-in-Law always took his own pillows. He had a breathing condition that meant he couldn't lay flat and always, therefore, needed his own pillows.

I've known of plenty of people who take their own pillows, especially on world cruises. I would certainly take my Dunlopillow if I was going on a world cruise - I couldn't survive THAT long without it.

I agree with h3rjp that the best sleep on a cruise ship I ever had was on Queen Mary 2 - fantastic pillow and mattress.

I can confirm that they replaced the pillows on Ventura this summer. In July when we were on board, they had the new bigger pillows and my husband who sleeps on a small pillow at home asked the cabin steward if he could find him and old one which he did from a bunk bed room opposite to our cabin, he said there had been a lot of complaints. I suppose after 6 months they may have reduced in size.