Windows at sea level?

AmazedByCruising

anyone remember watching the shows of "The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau"? ... we're talking 70's TV here ....

remember his boat, the Calypso? It was a former Royal Navy mine sweeper ..... one of the modifications they did was to build an underwater observation room in the bow .... if they could do it in the 70's I'm sure they could do it better today!

La_calypso_vue_densemble_zps2yvovrqc.jpg

And doing it with cameras would be easy. But truthfully, 99% of the time when underway there is virtually nothing to see. The other 1% is when 'porpoise' (to use a generic name) decide to ride the bow wave and play with the ship ....

this shot is straight down from the bow when some kids were playing ....

Dolphins.jpg

funny story time:

back a few years, on a WINDSTAR cruise it got a bit bouncy one night and some folks we were talking with mentioned concern as the water was splashing over their window (porthole).

"Oh, don't worry, didn't you notice in the activity guide, tonight is the night they take on extra ballast to sink the ship deeper into the water. Then your window is under water so you can see the fish .... they even have special lights."

Most believed me, after all I was in the Coast Guard. And many migrated back to their rooms early ..... there were a few friendly name calling incidents the next day as well as a few "that was SO cool"s?!?!?!

Edited by Capt_BJ

anyone remember watching the shows of "The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau"?

71805972.jpg

if they could do it in the 70's I'm sure they could do it better today!

Exactly!

And doing it with cameras would be easy. But truthfully, 99% of the time when underway there is virtually nothing to see. The other 1% is when 'porpoise' (to use a generic name) decide to ride the bow wave and play with the ship ....

I wouldn't call waves smashing against the windows "nothing to see". Sitting in the car in a car wash was a main event when I was a kid.

Apart from porpoise (I was using Wikipedia to translate), there has been quite a lot of sealife that I saw from the outside, like enormous amounts of jellyfish and birds catching (invisible) fish next to the ship. Some parts of the oceans are probably more interesting than others, of course. Some might have visible ship wrecks or coral reefs which could be the very reason to be on the cruise.

Then your window is under water so you can see the fish .... they even have special lights."

You're describing exactly what it should be like! While it's just a funny story, it does show that this is what makes guests excited.