12 day Rome to Vence Thoughts

propwash

Yes generally love it, but where specifically are you going? Venice is great and make sure to spend some days precruise right in Venice. It is pricey but magic at night when most day trippers leave. It is easy to fly in or out of Venice and then back from Rome or vice versa. Rome is also worth spending time but it is along way from the port.

This is the current showing. Yes I realize that schedules and itineraries change. Just looking for some thoughts.

THANKS

Danny

Day Date Port Arrive Depart

0 14 Oct 2017 Venice, Italy

1 15 Oct 2017 At Sea

2 16 Oct 2017 Sarande, Albania TR NW

3 17 Oct 2017 Argostoli, Cephalonia, Greece TR NW

4 18 Oct 2017 Katakolon (Olympia), Greece

5 19 Oct 2017 Nafplion, Greece TR NW

6 20 Oct 2017 Piraeus (Athens), Greece ON

7 21 Oct 2017 Piraeus (Athens), Greece

8 22 Oct 2017 Mykonos, Greece TR NW

9 23 Oct 2017 Thira (Santorini), Greece TR NW

10 24 Oct 2017 At Sea

11 25 Oct 2017 Naples (Pompeii), Italy

12 26 Oct 2017 Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

Ok, actually looked at this one ourselves! Not sure about Albania but we have been to all the rest. We have stayed on Kefallonia, it is a beautiful island with lots to see and nice beaches. Captain Correlli's Mandolin with Nicholas Cage was filmed on that island and yes the water is that colour!

Olympia is an important sight or there is a decent beach near katakalon.

Nauplion is a cute town.

Two days in Athens may be too much in my opinion unless you have not been there before than you can see it more in depth and perhaps also visit Cape Sounion or it gives the opportunity to go to Meteora where the monasteries are perched high up.

Mykonos is cute, very touristy but can be missed due to high winds at times. Santorini is spectacular but can be very overcrowded depending on how many ships are in. It too is very touristy, but try to visit Oia and Akrotiri for amazing ruins.

I love Naples as there are a million things to do, the isle of Capri, Pompeii, Herculaneum, pizza, wandering Naples, the amazing palace in Caserta used in Star Wars I think the Empire Strikes back.

So I think overall a good itinerary, we had good weather this past October in the Mediterranean, but it will be unlikely to be beach weather. So take some rain gear and warm clothing as well as lighter items.

Hope this helps.

AGROSTOLI

Our first thought were Agrostoli would be our least interesting port stop and I struggled to find something to do on our own as the movie Captain's Corellii's Mandolin did not particularly move me one way or another.

Then in my discovery process I came up with a suggested walk from the port around the end of the peninsula to the waterwheels and light house and on to the infamous, self-promotional Oskar's restaurant which took us right into the heart of the terribly tragic real time events between the German and Italian soldiers featured in the film. http://www.oskars.gr/how-to-get-to-oskars-restaurant.htm

The whole package of a beautiful hike through these lovely country and seaside roads, some excellent food and Oskars -phyllo-sesame crusted fried cheese with honey and a Greek salad - and the heightened poignancy of quietly visiting both the execution site and the memorial for the lives lost made this stop one of our most favorite and we talk about it often.

Which naturally led us to looking at the movie again and filling in the missing pieces from our own first hand experiences now. As well as a follow-up to the real lives of those movie inspired characters and an even sadder end when they tried much later to reunite.

Anyone who likes to hike/walk, there are some moderate hills, and wander among the ghosts and rustling pines and olives trees of ancient origins I recommend you explore this possible day hike combo in Agrostoli. I would do it all again and pay tribute once again to this very tragic WWII event.

And try as we might, we never again found that fried phyllo cheese on the rest of our times in Greece as good as we did at Oskars.

Edited by OlsSalt

what an amazing experience! I often find that when I read a book or see a film set in an area that I visit it really adds to the experience! Have you read the book? It is much superior to the movie ( I couldn't get by Cage's accent, lol!).

We visited a number of the war cemeteries both allied and German in Crete and the monastery that sheltered a number of Australians that were then rescued by submarines! It is so very humbling to visit those places.

On a lighter note, too bad about that pastry! Sounds amazing! It is wild how localized the food can be. Makes for a wonderful experience!

Speaking of haunting memorials, Murmansk, Russia and Archangel in the White Sea give me chills just writing about them. One in Archangel for the British supply forces who died in this part of Russia during WWII. Large and exceptionally well kept for such a remote location. It was a must see for the UK passengers on that cruise.

In Murmask, Russia there is a small cemetery but includes young American merchant marine sailors along with Polish soldiers - one gravestone had the most haunting inscription in English "You who pass by, tell Poland that you saw us lying here. We fell obeying her sacred laws." :(

Again, reading up on the WWI history of the US and UK supplying Russian troops in WWII who were ceaselessly fighting the Germans against great odds came alive, oddly, at these gripping memorial sites.

Edited by OlsSalt

Well, Venice and Rome are great starting and ending points certainly -- you probably want to spend a few extra days in each if you can. (If it comes down to it, I'd say you can see most of the iconic sights in Venice in two days, Rome deserves three at least...)

Sarande is becoming a popular stop due to the instabiity in Turkey causing those ports to be removed. There are some terrific ruins there -- well excavated, nice setting -- called Butrint. Sarande itself isn't so noteworthy, but if you go to Butrint you'll at least see some of the lovely countryside.

Argostoli isn't my favorite, but you've heard from others on this one.

Katakolon -- I think seeing Olympia is a way to spend the time here. In addition to the site, there is a terrific museum next door with some very nice pieces from the excavations.

Nafplion -- Most people don't know this was actually the first 'capital' of modern Greece. It's actually a lovely town to walk around if you want an easier day. Or (my favorite) -- take a short drive to Mycenae, home to King Agamemnon of Iliad/Odyssey fame. The Lion's Gate and the tomb ("Treasury") are wonderful to see...

Piraeus (for Athens) -- I disagree that two days is too much in Athens, there is lots to do there beyond the iconic Acropolis. The Acropolis museum is modern and very well-done. The Agora is a must (and has its own little museum with some insightful artefacts related to democracy). The National Archaeological Museum is full of wonderful treasures, the best from around all of Greece. You could also visit Corinth, Sounion, Eleusis, or even (in a long day) go to Delphi.

Mykonos and Santorini are typical Greek isles. From Mykonos, the island of Delos is a short ferry ride away and worth exploring if you don't want to spend a day on the beach. Mykonos Town is small and fairly touristy -- a couple of hours is all that's needed to see most of it and maybe even stop for a beer or a snack. Santorini is lovely but all too often its just swarmed with other cruisers.

Naples -- as said above, there are so many choices. My favorites would have to be Pompeii and Herculaneum, plus the great Archaeological Museum in Naples (probably the foremost collection of Roman frescoes and mosaics, and they really give a picture of what life would have been like in a city like Pompeii).

Agree, on one day in Pireaus we day-tripped to Corinth and it was spectacular. A very intimate museum with none of the crowds. Got a car and driver arranged through a local agency, and there was still time to visit the Athens Museum.

Agree also, Butrint in Albania was another little gem of a previously unknown (to us) Roman port. The stunning mosaics were covered with sand for protection when we were there, but if one is lucky they might be open for occasional viewing.We saw only a photo of them and they were dazzling. The flooded nature of the lower part of this archeological site added a special dimension to rustic feeling of this the experience.

If you can include a lunch at the hill top castle outside Sarande, you can get a good feeling for the pill box armaments that still dot this strange little land. Reading later about the early days of the US CIA, post WWII, the director at the time made it his personal mission to reinstall King Zog of Albania, which the people did not want and most likely is part of what led into their self-imposed isolation for so many post-war years.

Edited by OlsSalt

Naples, one of my own favorites that reveals multiple surprises, when one take her on very slowly and over time. Rich Steve's in his Mediterranean Cruise Ports has an excellent walking tour to take directly from the ship if one wants to explore some of the more obvious and surprising highlights of her dramatic core. Yes, there is dirt and girt but look beyond that to the extremely rich history that still resides there crumbling and beloved.

Much is now pedestrianized downtown, so the legendary scooter handbag thieves are no longer the threat they once were. It is now all color, markets, shops, quiet alleys, surprising, densely packed architectural drama with a visual treat or a lemon gelato around almost every corner. Naples was the equivalent of Paris in this part of the world until the mid 19th century - opulent art, churches and palaces remain, with sooty and graffiti laced facades today, but once you step inside the senses are dazzled beyond imagination.

Plus why not have pizza where it was born and join the endless debate who makes the best pizza in Naples - personally I liked Brandi in the Spanish Quarter, sitting on the outdoor steps in the middle of the gentle buzz that is always Naples. The tapestries at the Royal Palace are like photographs and cover huge walls, hall after hall. The romantic and now restored Galleria, the Opera House, the massive Piazza del Popolo, Gambrinus Cafe with glittering mirrors and glass chandeliers, the little trams that go up the hills to even more spectacular sites - this city is a rough cut jewel. http://www.brandipizzeria.com

Edited by OlsSalt

Agree, on one day in Pireaus we day-tripped to Corinth and it was spectacular. A very intimate museum with none of the crowds. Got a car and driver arranged through a local agency, and there was still time to visit the Athens Museum.

This sounds perfect to me for Athens. I wish we had had two days there.

In Santorini we went to Akrotiri and so glad we didn't miss it... but it's of interest to those who like history and ancient ruins, artifacts. The ruins are remarkable, covered, more like indoors. In some ways a better experience that Pompeii. The Athens Museum has many of the frescoes and artifacts but we enjoyed seeing the setting and appreciating the engineering of the city, plus some artifacts are still there in place.

In Venice we like to enjoy the music offerings. We have stayed twice in Mestre, near the train station, for a third the price of staying in Venice and much more accessible without having to deal with getting luggage over bridges, in and out of boats etc. Mestre is a 5-10 min bus ride, bus fare is included in the price of the vaporetto passes. We'd stay late into the night in Venice, have dinner and take in an intimate classical concert, and then return to our hotel. The sights and sounds of Venice abound with charm, history, beauty and culture. Mestre is no difficult to get or from the Venice port even with luggage, either a short taxi ride or the tram (flat entrance good for rolling bags).

Rome is such a great place to begin or end a cruise. We began a cruise in Civitevecchia, had 3 or 4 days in Rome before boarding. One highlight beyond the sights within Rome was taking a train out to Ostio Antica on the sea... it's ruins of the old port for Rome at the mouth of the Tiber River. Beautiful mosaics and almost no body there! We paid the nominal entrance fee, got a map and enjoyed the afternoon there with no one around. Then we went to the beach, one or two train stops further along and we enjoyed it there, so quiet compared to Rome's hectic pattern. Grabbed some lunch and gelato along the way, and the train fare was included in our Roma Pass.

We reserved a shuttle to pick us up at our Rome accommodations and take us to the port, 90E for both of us, but they were on time and they took us right to the terminal entrance. This was a bit pricey for us but after we scoped out the train from Termini in Rome to the port and factoring in all the walking with luggage on both ends and possible risk factors of the trains we were very happy with the shuttle.

Argostoli was charming. Nice for a slower day.

Olympia is a meaningful stop especially with the museum. Can be done on your own but we used the ship tour and were please with it.

Same for Athens, used the highlights ship tour but some people do it on their own. Athens is very crowded at the highlights sights, of course.

Just a bit of food for thought! Enjoy, m--

Glad it was helpful! And I actually agree with the others about Athens as I said before if you haven't been there, there is lots to see. Just after visiting several times it is not my favourite. We have spent several months in Greece, and love the less touristed islands particularly Crete. I think you will get a more true Greek feel in Kefallonia, you may even want to rent a car and explore further. It is a beautiful island with an underground lake, and beautiful pastel coloured houses and churches. Mykonos and Santorini are the more stereotypical white washed Cycladic buildings, but you may not get the true Greek experience.

Let us know what you decide but I am sure you will enjoy it!

The picture in my post is actually Zakinthos another Ionian island next door to

Kefallonia, gives you an idea about the water colour!

Glad it was helpful! And I actually agree with the others about Athens as I said before if you haven't been there, there is lots to see. Just after visiting several times it is not my favourite. We have spent several months in Greece, and love the less touristed islands particularly Crete. I think you will get a more true Greek feel in Kefallonia, you may even want to rent a car and explore further. It is a beautiful island with an underground lake, and beautiful pastel coloured houses and churches. Mykonos and Santorini are the more stereotypical white washed Cycladic buildings, but you may not get the true Greek experience.

Let us know what you decide but I am sure you will enjoy it!

The picture in my post is actually Zakinthos another Ionian island next door to

Kefallonia, gives you an idea about the water colour!

YES THANKS. I'm excited about going but have been apprehensive about traveling in the Med. My last name, and even though a US citizen, could be a problem in the Middle East countries like Lebanon and Syria. But hopefully this will not be an issue on the trip.

Danny

ATHENS: Hydra was a surprisingly low-key and charming island, considering it is so close to Athens and a favorite of day-trippers too. Though I think it is hard to get a place on the ferry. Maybe they strictly limit the numbers who can show up on any given day.

• 2 months later...
This is the current showing. Yes I realize that schedules and itineraries change. Just looking for some thoughts.

THANKS

Danny

Day Date Port Arrive Depart

0 14 Oct 2017 Venice, Italy

1 15 Oct 2017 At Sea

2 16 Oct 2017 Sarande, Albania TR NW

3 17 Oct 2017 Argostoli, Cephalonia, Greece TR NW

4 18 Oct 2017 Katakolon (Olympia), Greece

5 19 Oct 2017 Nafplion, Greece TR NW

6 20 Oct 2017 Piraeus (Athens), Greece ON

7 21 Oct 2017 Piraeus (Athens), Greece

8 22 Oct 2017 Mykonos, Greece TR NW

9 23 Oct 2017 Thira (Santorini), Greece TR NW

10 24 Oct 2017 At Sea

11 25 Oct 2017 Naples (Pompeii), Italy

12 26 Oct 2017 Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

OOOOPs... old thread. I am talking to myself.

Great itinerary. Go for it.

Does HAL dock at the Venezia Terminal in Venice or is that the only cruise terminal?

Most ships dock at the Marittima port, which is very large.

A few, smaller ships (maybe up to the size of Prinsendam but probably smaller) dock at a small port called San Basilio. It's near Marittima.

Does HAL dock at the Venezia Terminal in Venice or is that the only cruise terminal?

It looks like you will be on the Westerdam so you will dock at the Venice Cruise Terminal, on the western end of the "islands". From here you can either take the "people mover" to Piazzale Roma, or else a vaporetto (water bus) to the heart of the city.

We haven't done this exact route, but we've been to almost all of these ports on three different cruises in the last three years. You've already received a lot of great advice above, but here's my two cents worth:

VENICE is a fascinating city, and you should try to spend a couple of days there pre-cruise. In October you should be able to get some good hotel rates in central areas -- we like Ca' Angeli in San Polo.

SARANDE was injected into our itinerary last year when the Turkish ports were dropped. There's nothing in the town itself, a pebbled beach and lots of Soviet-Bloc-style architecture (much of it unfinished, up on the hills). People who went to the "castle" or the blue grotto weren't impressed, but those who went to Butrint said it was worthwhile.

ARGOSTOLI was a pleasant surprise for us. You won't find much information on it in the guidebooks, but you can do a very pleasant hike around the lagoon -- maybe the same walk that OleSat described? -- and you can also rent kayaks in the lagoon.

In KATAKOLON we took a HAL excursion to ancient Olympia, very worthwhile to have the guided tour, and then to a winery (Mercouri's Vineyard) for wine and snacks. Very good.

ATHENS has a lot to see and do. If you don't mind some extra walking, you can take the subway from Piraeus port to the Acropolis and the Agora. Outside the Acropolis you can find a lot of small tavernas for eating and drinking.

MYKONOS and SANTORINI are your stereotypical white-building Greek islands. Both will be crowded, but less so in October. Walk around Mykonos and get lost in the maze-like streets. October is also end of season so you can pick up some good deals on jewellery.

In Santorini you will probably tender at Fira, so I would suggest taking one of the ferries to Oia; they are right at the tender dock. Oia is the classic white, blue-domed town you see in all the Greek photos. The price of the ferry (20 euros pp I think) also includes a bus back to Fira. Lunches will be (slightly) more reasonably priced in Fira. Santorini is also a caldera, which is interesting, and if you're lucky enough to be there at sunset they can be spectacular.

In NAPLES we went to Vesuvius, which involved an articulated bus ride part-way up and then a hike to the top; my Fitbit registered 110 floors climbed that day. There are guides at the top who provide good explanations, and a local guy selling his own beer and wine! Great views if you're lucky enough to get a clear day (we were).

If we went back to Naples we would go to Pompeii or Herculaneum. And there's also Capri (and Naples itself of course).

ROME became one of my favourite European cities, and I would suggest spending three days there at the end if you can. So much history, so much to see and do. If you don't mind a walk, I would suggest staying in Trastevere (the Greenwich Village of Rome!), on the other side of the river; about 20-25 minutes walk to the Vatican and the Spanish Steps. Great restaurants in the area.

It looks like a great itinerary!

It looks like you will be on the Westerdam so you will dock at the Venice Cruise Terminal, on the western end of the "islands". From here you can either take the "people mover" to Piazzale Roma, or else a vaporetto (water bus) to the heart of the city.

We haven't done this exact route, but we've been to almost all of these ports on three different cruises in the last three years. You've already received a lot of great advice above, but here's my two cents worth:

VENICE is a fascinating city, and you should try to spend a couple of days there pre-cruise. In October you should be able to get some good hotel rates in central areas -- we like Ca' Angeli in San Polo.

SARANDE was injected into our itinerary last year when the Turkish ports were dropped. There's nothing in the town itself, a pebbled beach and lots of Soviet-Bloc-style architecture (much of it unfinished, up on the hills). People who went to the "castle" or the blue grotto weren't impressed, but those who went to Butrint said it was worthwhile.

ARGOSTOLI was a pleasant surprise for us. You won't find much information on it in the guidebooks, but you can do a very pleasant hike around the lagoon -- maybe the same walk that OleSat described? -- and you can also rent kayaks in the lagoon.

In KATAKOLON we took a HAL excursion to ancient Olympia, very worthwhile to have the guided tour, and then to a winery (Mercouri's Vineyard) for wine and snacks. Very good.

ATHENS has a lot to see and do. If you don't mind some extra walking, you can take the subway from Piraeus port to the Acropolis and the Agora. Outside the Acropolis you can find a lot of small tavernas for eating and drinking.

MYKONOS and SANTORINI are your stereotypical white-building Greek islands. Both will be crowded, but less so in October. Walk around Mykonos and get lost in the maze-like streets. October is also end of season so you can pick up some good deals on jewellery.

In Santorini you will probably tender at Fira, so I would suggest taking one of the ferries to Oia; they are right at the tender dock. Oia is the classic white, blue-domed town you see in all the Greek photos. The price of the ferry (20 euros pp I think) also includes a bus back to Fira. Lunches will be (slightly) more reasonably priced in Fira. Santorini is also a caldera, which is interesting, and if you're lucky enough to be there at sunset they can be spectacular.

In NAPLES we went to Vesuvius, which involved an articulated bus ride part-way up and then a hike to the top; my Fitbit registered 110 floors climbed that day. There are guides at the top who provide good explanations, and a local guy selling his own beer and wine! Great views if you're lucky enough to get a clear day (we were).

If we went back to Naples we would go to Pompeii or Herculaneum. And there's also Capri (and Naples itself of course).

ROME became one of my favourite European cities, and I would suggest spending three days there at the end if you can. So much history, so much to see and do. If you don't mind a walk, I would suggest staying in Trastevere (the Greenwich Village of Rome!), on the other side of the river; about 20-25 minutes walk to the Vatican and the Spanish Steps. Great restaurants in the area.

It looks like a great itinerary!

Thanks for the info. Our plans have now changed. We're looking atMay12 2018, so the trip is from Rome to Venice on the Odam

Danny

The only problem we have found with ending cruise in Venice is the choice of flights and the cost. We discovered it was cheaper to rent a limo service and go to Milan and fly from there - many more options and flight cost was much less after deducting cost of limo.

harry

The only problem we have found with ending cruise in Venice is the choice of flights and the cost. We discovered it was cheaper to rent a limo service and go to Milan and fly from there - many more options and flight cost was much less after deducting cost of limo.

harry

we used HAL Flight ease and got great direct flights back to NYC . Cheaper than we could on our own,especially since open jaw ticket needed.

Thanks for the info. Our plans have now changed. We're looking atMay12 2018, so the trip is from Rome to Venice on the Odam

Danny

We did the od am Rome to Venice with many of your Greek ports last September and it was wonderful. Greek ports had a different feel than Italian ones. When we did Naples we tried to do Capri's Blue grotto but the water was too rough. If time allows do Pompeii and Amalfi coast. Check out Joe Bananas limo. They did great tours and offer multi cities discount. Try to extend both ends if you can, Rome is spectacular ,and Venice breath taking. The sail into Venice is amazing enjoy