Native Choice Blue Lagoon

Ginger Princess

Before my cruise, I didn't see many reviews for this tour so I thought I would write one in case someone else was interested in it.

My husband has been interested in kayaking, and Mayan ruins were offered on 2 other port stops so we tried this excursion in Costa Maya. It was a little weird walking to their office because there wasn't a lot between the port and their office. Their map was helpful getting to their office. We were offered free bottles of water as we checked in. This isn't one of their more popular tours, so we basically got a private tour. Elena, our guide, and Abner, our driver, took us in an air conditioned van to the Bacalar Lagoon. Along the way, we stopped off in "Pineapple Town" and bought a bag of fresh pineapple for $1. It was some of the best pineapple I've ever eaten. My husband tried it dipped in some chili powder.

The lagoon was very peaceful and beautiful. There were bathrooms and separate changing rooms. I left my towel on a lounge chair under a tiki hut and we set off in our kayaks. As a beginner, I didn't think it was too difficult to figure out how to move the kayak. There was a slight current in the middle of the lagoon but we made it to the other side where there was this somewhat hidden area inside the mangroves where there were lots of lily pads.

After making it back to the resort we had lunch. The open bar was nice. I had 2 pina coladas. My husband had a beer and a margarita. There was chicken and peppers with warm corn tortillas, black beans, rice, carrots, and a green salsa. We got to relax for about an hour under the tiki hut on a lounger before they took us back to the port. This was my husband's favorite part of our cruise.

Before my cruise, I didn't see many reviews for this tour so I thought I would write one in case someone else was interested in it.

My husband has been interested in kayaking, and Mayan ruins were offered on 2 other port stops so we tried this excursion in Costa Maya. It was a little weird walking to their office because there wasn't a lot between the port and their office. Their map was helpful getting to their office. We were offered free bottles of water as we checked in. This isn't one of their more popular tours, so we basically got a private tour. Elena, our guide, and Abner, our driver, took us in an air conditioned van to the Bacalar Lagoon. Along the way, we stopped off in "Pineapple Town" and bought a bag of fresh pineapple for $1. It was some of the best pineapple I've ever eaten. My husband tried it dipped in some chili powder.

The lagoon was very peaceful and beautiful. There were bathrooms and separate changing rooms. I left my towel on a lounge chair under a tiki hut and we set off in our kayaks. As a beginner, I didn't think it was too difficult to figure out how to move the kayak. There was a slight current in the middle of the lagoon but we made it to the other side where there was this somewhat hidden area inside the mangroves where there were lots of lily pads.

After making it back to the resort we had lunch. The open bar was nice. I had 2 pina coladas. My husband had a beer and a margarita. There was chicken and peppers with warm corn tortillas, black beans, rice, carrots, and a green salsa. We got to relax for about an hour under the tiki hut on a lounger before they took us back to the port. This was my husband's favorite part of our cruise.

I have never heard of this place/excursion or seen it mentioned before. Where did you book it? What is the actual name of the vendor? Price? So it included the ride there, open bar, lunch? Do you have any pictures to share? I'm always looking for something new to do when in port. :)

I have never heard of this place/excursion or seen it mentioned before. Where did you book it? What is the actual name of the vendor? Price? So it included the ride there, open bar, lunch? Do you have any pictures to share? I'm always looking for something new to do when in port. :)

I think you must have forgotten?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1612316&highlight=Lagoon

Or Crews reply to you

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42253018&postcount=2

I think you probably dismissed it because of distance.

The company is Native Choice, and they mostly do Mayan ruins tours. I saw the Blue Lagoon tour when I googled them and found the website. It was a $15 deposit per person to reserve and $40 a person when we showed up.

I will attempt some pictures. I've seen where others had trouble posting them.

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app

I think you must have forgotten?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1612316&highlight=Lagoon

Or Crews reply to you

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42253018&postcount=2

I think you probably dismissed it because of distance.

From 2012 (I obviously didn't see any replies to that thread I posted because I always reply to my threads) and 2014...yep, completely forgot. I forgot what I had for dinner last night. :p

Hmmm, there didn't seem to be a lot of people that went back then and I probably wrote it off for that reason as well. I'm still always looking for a new place to check out though. So, maybe in the future I'll give it a shot. Ya just never know. :D

We're doing the Extreme tour, that includes the Lagoon and the Ruins. It only says you get use of the kayaks for this excursions so I'm sure there's no kayak tour. Do you know off hand or noticed if those with the shorter part of the trip there were able to kayak beyond just the main beach area to explore the way you went? Or would there not be enough time?

The Extreme tour was actually showing up as we were leaving. Our guide told us that that would probably only have 30 minutes after they eat to kayak or be in the water. The kayaks were stored right next to the water, but we were gone for over an hour to get to the other side and back. However, my husband and I both had never kayaked before, and sometimes the guide would slow down and wait for us. I guess it would depend on how long you had and how confident you were in your kayaking skill.