Health inspections

Interesting piece on Cruise Fever about surprise health inspections on liners using US ports. Apparently each boat is inspected twice a year without prior notice and the article suggests tests are extremely thorough. Wonder how this compares to Thomsons?

Probably put my point badly. I know this referred to American ports only, but I wondered if there are any similar inspections in place for British ships sailing from our ports or European ports. If not, why not given the very real threat of stomach bugs to which Thomsons draw attention to with a warning in the cabin on arrival, at least there was on the Celebration. Particularly interested as we both succumbed.

Interesting piece on Cruise Fever about surprise health inspections on liners using US ports. Apparently each boat is inspected twice a year without prior notice and the article suggests tests are extremely thorough. Wonder how this compares to Thomsons?

Any ship is open to being inspected by health authorities at any port.

Thomsons have inspections (very thorough) from their own head office throughout the year, i recall one recently only one week before the end of the season, obviously to check that standards are being maintained at all times and not being relaxed just because the end is near.

Any ship is open to being inspected by health authorities at any port.

Thomsons have inspections (very thorough) from their own head office throughout the year, i recall one recently only one week before the end of the season, obviously to check that standards are being maintained at all times and not being relaxed just because the end is near.

TUI Discovery operating in and out of Puerto Rico and St Thomas 2017 -18 both U.S port,s i know immigration very strict having done this cruise with Carnival

You appear to have inside information, any written evidence of these inspections? Fairly adept a finding these things and I can't turn up any.

I doubt if these will be available in the public domain, you would have to contact the cruise line and/or the local authorities direct with a request reference a specific cruise.

You appear to have inside information, any written evidence of these inspections? Fairly adept a finding these things and I can't turn up any.

Its not the sort of thing you are going to find in the public domain, just as any company in any line of business would not put its in house operational issues and practices in the public domain.

What is your motive for wanting this information anyway ?????

Sadly this one did end up in the public domain! Hope it's sorted now since we have a trip booked!!! :eek:

http://worldmaritimenews.com/archives/188395/po-cruises-ship-fails-sanitation-inspection/

I think it is relevant to customers who want to know effective measures are in place and implemented. Slack procedures are more likely to cause infection outbreaks and I think we would all want to know the most stringent standards are applied. There are no guarantees in respect of NV outbreaks but I think we all have a right to expect that the ship is doing it's part to minimise the risks and that if not, that information should be available to us.

Just hope someone was hauled over the coals for the above! And not those at the sharp end but those who are paid to have the responsibility to ensure H&S standards are in place and met. We have been on a P&O ship calling in at US ports since that report and they were taking it seriously - and I mean really seriously as we approached the US. I think I read that all P&O ships were now down for very thorough and more frequent inspections as a consequence for the next five years!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by kruzseeka

Absolutely right Kruzseeka. thanks for your input on this one. As I have said we both fell sick etc on our first ever cruise in September. We were given free injections but the doctor said it was not norovirus. We have just received the paperwork for our January cruise and it states that free injections will be given in the event of suffering norovirus. Why cant they be honest? .incidentally after we were released from our cabin we noticed a red ring stuck above the door. Does anybody know what this Indicates?

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionResults.aspx

This site allows you to interrogate inspection reports. I entered dates for Jan - Dec 2015 as an example and found the scores for all ships tested. No Thomson ships though as these are US inspections and no Thomson ships currently sail to US ports afaik.

Interesting though.

Edited by kruzseeka

Thanks for the information, comprehensive website. Yes, a lot of the items I have glanced at so far are nit picking, but anything that keeps shipping companies continually on their toes is to be applauded. It's out there for all to see, yet as far as I can tell there's nothing comparable available to the public about Thomson ships.

With so many people gathered together in a small space health is, of course, a major issue on cruise ships. Despite our problems on the Celebration we did not see anything to really alarm us apart from the self service area but then we are not professionals

Norwegian are on this website as they sail from American ports, we have been looking at their deals and might try them next time. Anybody had bad experiences with them?