Bicycling in Cozumel

chong67

Have anyone bicycle in Cozumel lately?

Yes you can rent bicycle there. I saw two website on this.

To cycle/loop around the island is about 40 miles which I can handle.

Anyone have any tips, experience or advice?

Thanks!

Be careful heading up the east side and along the transversal road then back through town. Narrow shoulders and normal traffic on back side of San Miguel isn't looking for bikers. Try to get a road or mountain bike, not a beach cruiser. No hills but just easier to gear up or down.

Depends how serious a cyclist you are.

It is perfectly possible - the ironman race loops the island several times. I don't think the transversal has a cycle lane but once on the east coast you can take the old road which is now supposed to be cyclists only. There are parts where it starts and stops. Coming back up passed the southern beach bars you can take the old road but it can be very busy, especially with taxis and cross traffic going into each beach club. (I think cars are only supposed to go south now on that road.) There is a cycle path from the southern piers to the edge of town but then it will be very busy and as crew says traffic is not paying attention to bikes. Many of the roads in town are one-way. Not sure where the cycle hire place is but I would be inclined to cut back through Corpus Christie rather than stay on coast road.

I have seen one of the cycle rental places offer electric bikes from somewhere near Rastas on the east coast so that you could ride the coast road out there, out and back, and that seems to be a much more pleasurable ride but you would need to arrange transport out to pick-up point and back - maybe they have an arrangement for that?

Of course this is all assuming you don't break down on your way round! Cell phone service on the east side can be spotty.