San Juan Port

wifeofsoldier

Thinking of booking a cruise that departs out of San Juan. Was really hoping for a direct flight to the airport but haven't found one. Looks like it'll be only about a 5-6 hour flight from MI with 1-2 stops. Too long but that's okay. ;)

1) What is the port like? Similar to Port Everglades? Better or worse? Any input would be great.

2) Any decent places to stay the night before in San Juan?

Thanks for all your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There is more than one cruise port in San Juan.

I've cruised out of there twice on Celebrity and its not exactly like Port Everglades but there wasn't anything bad about it.

The cruise didn't not leave from the port near Old San Juan where we stopped on a cruise in the past.

We stayed at La Concha the first time and loved it.

We stayed at the Mariotte Stellaris and it was nice too but we preferred La Concha.

There is more than one cruise port in San Juan.

I've cruised out of there twice on Celebrity and its not exactly like Port Everglades but there wasn't anything bad about it.

The cruise didn't not leave from the port near Old San Juan where we stopped on a cruise in the past.

We stayed at La Concha the first time and loved it.

We stayed at the Mariotte Stellaris and it was nice too but we preferred La Concha.

I didn't know there was more than one port. I'll be doing more research on that I guess.

Thanks for the good info!

I didn't know there was more than one port. I'll be doing more research on that I guess.

Thanks for the good info!

The old city is on a peninsula, facing into a large bay. Partway across the bay is another peninsula coming in from the left. Ships coming in for the day and smaller ships (and maybe some others?) dock right at the shore below old San Juan. Royal and Celebrity ships embarking/disembarking will use the other port, on the side of that second peninsula, next to the small-aircraft airfield. No big deal, a short taxi ride away.

As far as hotels, many of the big chain hotels like Marriott, also many smaller local hotels. You should have no trouble finding a room in your preferred style of lodging.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The old city is on a peninsula, facing into a large bay. Partway across the bay is another peninsula coming in from the left. Ships coming in for the day and smaller ships (and maybe some others?) dock right at the shore below old San Juan. Royal and Celebrity ships embarking/disembarking will use the other port, on the side of that second peninsula, next to the small-aircraft airfield. No big deal, a short taxi ride away.

As far as hotels, many of the big chain hotels like Marriott, also many smaller local hotels. You should have no trouble finding a room in your preferred style of lodging.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'll be doing more research tonight. I've only ever gone out of Port Everglades so kind of nervous to try any other port, especially San Juan.

Thinking of booking a cruise that departs out of San Juan. Was really hoping for a direct flight to the airport but haven't found one. Looks like it'll be only about a 5-6 hour flight from MI with 1-2 stops. Too long but that's okay. ;)

1) What is the port like? Similar to Port Everglades? Better or worse? Any input would be great.

2) Any decent places to stay the night before in San Juan?

Thanks for all your help!

To me, neither the port where everybody but RCI and Celebrity NOR the PanAmerican is like Port Everglades. The PanAm Pier is closer, but it's not really the same. Better/worse? I just call it different.

BTW, you are flying from Michigan? During the Christmas season, there are direct flights from DTW, but the rest of the year- it seems the best option is to have one stop in Atlanta for Delta or Orlando for Spirit. We fly down pretty regularly from DTW....

Our choice of hotel is El Convento in Old San Juan.

To me, neither the port where everybody but RCI and Celebrity NOR the PanAmerican is like Port Everglades. The PanAm Pier is closer, but it's not really the same. Better/worse? I just call it different.

BTW, you are flying from Michigan? During the Christmas season, there are direct flights from DTW, but the rest of the year- it seems the best option is to have one stop in Atlanta for Delta or Orlando for Spirit. We fly down pretty regularly from DTW....

Our choice of hotel is El Convento in Old San Juan.

We just got back from a cruise so looking at December 2017 to go again. Good to know about direct flights. That's amazing!!

I am going to do research on the hotels shortly. I can't do much research on flights since you typically can only book 6 months in advance.

Thanks so much!

Plenty of places to stay. Look for a hotel in Old San Juan or the Condado area. Fly in a two days ahead of time so you can visit OSJ. Lots to see. All taxi cabs posted flat fee depending on where you are going. Celebrity and RCCL leave from the Pan American Pier. You'll need to taxi to/from but so does everyone else. Airfare is sometimes a bit more to get to PR but the cruise fare is often a bit less which offsets the air. You can book air 330 days in advance. When you leave you can cab it back to the airport. Once there make sure you go thru agricultural inspection first. Until you do that you cannot check-in or check your luggage. Have fun!

We just got back from a cruise so looking at December 2017 to go again. Good to know about direct flights. That's amazing!!

I am going to do research on the hotels shortly. I can't do much research on flights since you typically can only book 6 months in advance.

Thanks so much!

You can book flights typically about 11 months ahead.

In Old San Juan, out favorite hotel is the Casablanca. The movie by that name loops 24/7 on the monitors in the lounge! Rick's office is reproduced on the mezzanine landing as you go up the stairs. Yes, there are no elevators so you may need to walk 2, 3 or 4 flights of stirs to your room, but the staff will gladly help with luggage...

Thanks so much!

Just so you know: a direct flight is not necessary a nonstop flight. A direct flight may have stops (but no change of plane nor flight number). A nonstop is just that - no stops from start to end.

Southwest does a ton of "direct" flights. I was burned by some of them back when you could not check in online - a "B" boarding card got me a middle seat because the flight was mostly filled already from another stop...

Edited by slidergirl