Pre-Cruise Visit to the USS Iowa

LarryL

Thanks for clarifying the proper location. We're staying in Long Beach, very close to the pier. :)

The Coke machines would seem out of place. It would be nice if they were "vintage".

LOL Yes! It just looks so strange to see them next to the massive guns, like the seamen can just pop over to the Coke machine if they're thirsty in the middle of a battle. :D

doing a b2b this past november, I had the chance to tour the Iowa, a Sister ship to the Wisconsin, You can take the parking shuttle and tell the driver you are going to the Iowa, no problem. The tour is well worth it, however as has been previously mentioned, the ladders do present problems to those with mobility issues. The History of the ship, her assignments and the firepower of such a giant, were impressive to me, a destroyer sailor. Be sure to look at the daily menu as you enter the mess decks, lol. We sure ate well when we were on the high seas.

Thanks for all the insight and information you have all provided. We have decided to switch our hotel to the Crown Plaza so we can maximize our time to see the USS Iowa before boarding the Star.

The tour of the Iowa will be a great beginning of our voyage. :)

Nobody has mentioned the process for getting off and back on the ship if you have already checked in. People doing back to back cruises do this all the time.

If you decide to get off the ship after boarding, you just go. On most Princess ships your cabin is ready when you board, so drop your carry on luggage there. Since the ship has already been cleared you likely won't have any immigration folks around, but take your passport and room key to reboard. Go where you want and return. You will have to go through the metal detectors again. Then show your room key to a guide in the terminal and they will direct you around the checkin area. If there is a line of people getting onboard just get in that line. Make sure you are back before the all-aboard time. This will be posted at the exit from the ship. As others have said, the process of getting onboard, off and back on will eat up well over an hour.

Thanks for all the insight and information you have all provided. We have decided to switch our hotel to the Crown Plaza so we can maximize our time to see the USS Iowa before boarding the Star.

The tour of the Iowa will be a great beginning of our voyage. :)

I think this is an excellent decision. Enjoy your hotel stay, your visit to the USS Iowa, and your cruise.

Note: There is an excellent little brew pub (San Pedro Brewing Company) within walking distance of the Crowne Plaza if you like beer. The Imperial Stout was wonderful. :)

Edited by Thrak

I agree with Thrak, We live right near Long Beach and the short drive from Long Beach to San Pedro cruise terminal involves two large bridges, lot's of terminal traffic and some road construction going on for a while now. Staying in San Pedro better choice. You will enjoy the Iowa, it is worth the time. Have a great cruise.

Cori

I forgot to say that after my cruise that ended in San Pedro when I toured the USS Iowa, I also stayed at the Hotel Queen Mary for 3 nights after the cruise as an added bonus to tour the Queen Mary as well. It was a great experience after the cruise to stay on and tour this historical ship as well.