Just booked Europe-Star-Adriatic

txclctr

There can sometimes be some confusion as to what is the "family suite" on the Star. It is probably the SJ category, which is basically a big room with no balcony. Given its size it can sleep quite a few people but I believe that there are just curtains to separate the sleeping areas.

Alternatively there are rooms which are called two bedroom family suites, which I believe are similar to the two bedroom suites on other ships.

I've never actually seen either, but I think this is correct, You may want to confirm which one you have.

I'm not sure what you mean by "comparable to Haven". The Haven is a separate area on newer ships (Jewel Class and newer) with a pool, and a bar/restaurant on the big ships. There is nothing comparable to this on the Star. The room itself is similar to suites on other ships (although only a couple of ships have rooms directly comparable to the family suite), but the Haven is something different.

As for the perks, you should check the terms and conditions on the website. I assume you booked in the US, and I'm not up to date on exactly what you get there, especially for a suite, but I can say pretty well certain that it isn't the UDP for all days. As far as I'm aware they give the SDP for a limited number of meals (3 for a 7 day cruise). I also believe that it is just for the first two passengers. This is certainly the case for non suite bookings, and I'm not aware that is different for suites. Again, check the T&Cs

I believe that the difference with the perks for booking a suite is that you get more of them and you don't pay the gratuity on any dining or beverage packages, but again, I'm no expert on the deals in the US.

As for the Star, it's a great ship (although has been having some mechanical problems lately) and the Adriatic itineraries are also excellent. It's a very good choice.

Just booked July 2017 Star in a family suite. I think it's comparable to Haven, I have 3 people, me and 2 DD, age 14&22. Do we all get UDP for all days? Has anyone done the Star? Any suggestions?

Didn't you book the same deal I did - 50% off second passenger? That deal had no additional perks. So no UDP for anyone in the stateroom. NCL doesn't offer the UDP (ultimate dining package) any longer so unless booked over a year ago it's not a perk offer. They now offer SDP (specialty dining package) perk which is a fixed number of specialty venues depending upon length of cruise for the first two in the stateroom. If you booked a really long time ago, the UDP was offered to all occupants in the stateroom at one time but I think that was discontinued in early 2015.

The 50% off second passenger deal I booked, and thought you had too, was without any UBP, SDP, or any of the other perks. Was a great deal for suites if you were not going to benefit much from the UBP (ultimate beverage package).

I would call your travel agent or NCL and have them email you an amenities invoice so that you know exactly what perks if any you have.

I booked the family suite and it should come with all 5 perks

Suites usually do come with all the free at sea perks but the 50% off 2nd passenger sale that ended on 12/17/16 came with none of the usual perks. I also booked a Haven suite with this sale and received no additional perks except an extra $100 obc for lattitudes bonus. If you booked a suite with the 50% off perk sale and they also gave you the additional perks I'd love to know because my confirmation and amenities invoice for a suite booking doesn't include any extra perks and the terms and conditions of 50% off second passenger sale also specifically excluded the extra perks such as UBP, SDP.. it was still a great deal for us because the 2nd passenger at 50% off was a much better value because we wouldn't benefit from the UBP.

If OP "just booked" (directly with NCL or with travel agency ??) now to sail on the Star in 2017, in the "SJ" category or similar - "current" promotions automatically get all 4 deals plus 3rd. guest sailing (free) with discount.

Create/log into your MyNCL dot com account and you should see all the offers listed - the confirmation email from NCL also list them under amenities, call & request one (or via your TA) and keep it for your record & reference (bring it along to cruise) as the offers do change over time ... as others above noted. ** Under Vacation Summary - your Stateroom Category is listed. Further down, look at your Itinerary, Onboard Packages, Gifts & More Items: any and all eligible and included "Free At Sea" promotions, including dining, beverages, WiFi and shorex are shown, as well as # of guests it covered (last 2 items are per stateroom with specific terms, etc.)

The dining package is no longer unLIMITED for all 7 days in your case, it is only for 3 out of 7 days; see these links below - LeBistro is a la carte pricing otherwise whereas Moderno is based on a flat rate for paying guests ... Some of the menu choices & options are not included and/or surcharged (generally speaking ... all in the fine prints.)

As for being "comparable" to Haven, true - depending on your definitions for comparable, on the Star/Dawn/Jewel class of ships - what's available and the options & level are valued and perceived by some as a little different than those on the *Away class mega-ships, while others feel almost the same ... sometimes, down to your room steward, concierge and butler assigned.

Not everyone booked at the same time/month & took advantages of promotions - it's fine to generalize but not going to help if yours are different than theirs and ours, those sailing on the same ship as you on the same set of dates don't necessary get the same perks, i.e. gratitudes and/or prepaid service charges. Perhaps, "one" should but one "might not." Unless you already paid 100% in full, keep your eyes out for newer promotions that you "should" qualify for and can switch at no charge, before final payment/cancellation deadline - and, not lose your specific "suite" assigned or selected ... it's not uncommon to see end of the month/financial quarter promotion that last only a day, or two or three - switch & "profit" without a penalty (those using a TA ... sometimes/most of the times.)

When in doubt, best to call NCL's customer service # or via TA, and ask for clarification or an emailed printout - it can help resolve any discrepanies onboard on embarkation day, as online access to your Vacation Summary is locked & not viewable at 24 hours prior to the scheduled sailing.

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/star/whats-on-board/Specialty-Dining

Edited by mking8288

If OP "just booked" (directly with NCL or with travel agency ??) now to sail on the Star in 2017, in the "SJ" category or similar - "current" promotions automatically get all 4 deals plus 3rd. guest sailing (free) with discount.

Create/log into your MyNCL dot com account and you should see all the offers listed - the confirmation email from NCL also list them under amenities, call & request one (or via your TA) and keep it for your record & reference (bring it along to cruise) as the offers do change over time ... as others above noted. ** Under Vacation Summary - your Stateroom Category is listed. Further down, look at your Itinerary, Onboard Packages, Gifts & More Items: any and all eligible and included "Free At Sea" promotions, including dining, beverages, WiFi and shorex are shown, as well as # of guests it covered (last 2 items are per stateroom with specific terms, etc.)

The dining package is no longer unLIMITED for all 7 days in your case, it is only for 3 out of 7 days; see these links below - LeBistro is a la carte pricing otherwise whereas Moderno is based on a flat rate for paying guests ... Some of the menu choices & options are not included and/or surcharged (generally speaking ... all in the fine prints.)

As for being "comparable" to Haven, true - depending on your definitions for comparable, on the Star/Dawn/Jewel class of ships - what's available and the options & level are valued and perceived by some as a little different than those on the *Away class mega-ships, while others feel almost the same ... sometimes, down to your room steward, concierge and butler assigned.

Not everyone booked at the same time/month & took advantages of promotions - it's fine to generalize but not going to help if yours are different than theirs and ours, those sailing on the same ship as you on the same set of dates don't necessary get the same perks, i.e. gratitudes and/or prepaid service charges. Perhaps, "one" should but one "might not." Unless you already paid 100% in full, keep your eyes out for newer promotions that you "should" qualify for and can switch at no charge, before final payment/cancellation deadline - and, not lose your specific "suite" assigned or selected ... it's not uncommon to see end of the month/financial quarter promotion that last only a day, or two or three - switch & "profit" without a penalty (those using a TA ... sometimes/most of the times.)

When in doubt, best to call NCL's customer service # or via TA, and ask for clarification or an emailed printout - it can help resolve any discrepanies onboard on embarkation day, as online access to your Vacation Summary is locked & not viewable at 24 hours prior to the scheduled sailing.

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/star/whats-on-board/Specialty-Dining

Suites usually do get all perks but... op booked a special that was 50% off second passenger which specifically excluded free at sea perks-even for full suites. See this post last week.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2432680

Suites usually do get all perks but... op booked a special that was 50% off second passenger which specifically excluded free at sea perks-even for full suites. See this post last week.

Have they actually said that they booked that deal? I don't see any confirmation either way.

Edit - sorry, I see that it's in the link. I thought that was just details about the offer, but I see you were talking to them about the deal then. Ignore me

Edited by KeithJenner

Oops, mine bad - now that I read thru that whole thread last week, like Keith. :eek:

Well, perhaps OP wanted to keep eyes & ears open for a better deal and switch before the deadlines, etc. NCL's pricing and promotions, deals are all over the charts this year - and, with all the global events happening - even the fortune tellers are being relatively quiet with their predictions on 2017.

Everything is listed under their Vacation Summary ... in the details.

A side note on that 45 minutes flight connection in Zurich, even if it's "legal" connection for the airline & booked on a single ticket via partner/alliance/code-share, all it takes is a 10 minute delay on the taxiway or tarmac in reaching the gate, even if the plane is parked at the gate next to the inbound aircraft - losing seat assignments to standbys and checked luggage left behind ... on a later flight instead.

I booked a 50% off special for 2nd person. I booked an SJ category on the Star which is a family suite. The description of the stateroom says it includes specialty dining free open bar shore excursion credits and free WiFi package. There are 3 of us in the room, me and 2 DD. I booked it on the last day of the promo on Dec 17. It was not a perk that you pick such as 50 off and sdp or udp. I got half off 2ND person and 3rd person was substantially less, so doing a mock booking now I'm paying about $1300 less than current price.

I tried calling to get clarification of everything brought up cuz you guys are making me nervous, lol. The international dept is closed today and reopens Monday. I think I got a great deal but I will keep watching prices for any price drops or specials offers for this 6 day Adriatic cruise next July and there is nothing under vacation summary about any perks. Hope I booked what I thought I booked!

I booked a 50% off special for 2nd person. I booked an SJ category on the Star which is a family suite. The description of the stateroom says it includes specialty dining free open bar shore excursion credits and free WiFi package. There are 3 of us in the room, me and 2 DD. I booked it on the last day of the promo on Dec 17. It was not a perk that you pick such as 50 off and sdp or udp. I got half off 2ND person and 3rd person was substantially less, so doing a mock booking now I'm paying about $1300 less than current price.

I tried calling to get clarification of everything brought up cuz you guys are making me nervous, lol. The international dept is closed today and reopens Monday. I think I got a great deal but I will keep watching prices for any price drops or specials offers for this 6 day Adriatic cruise next July and there is nothing under vacation summary about any perks. Hope I booked what I thought I booked!

My vacation summary for original suite booking had listed UBP, SDP... For first two in stateroom. When I switched to the 50% off sale all of those perks for suite booking went away and I received 50% off second passenger instead of the UBP, SDP... If the UBP is something you want for passengers 1& 2 it may be a better deal for you to rebook on the us site with the perks. The UBP value is $100 pp pd for passengers 1 & 2. If passengers 1 & 2 aren't big drinkers then the value of perks don't outweigh value of 50% off second passenger. For your sailing you should check to see if 3rd passenger is KSF because that may also affect bottom line pricing. The terms and conditions for 50% off 2nd passenger are very clearly noted as not eligible for any free at sea perks so 50% off even for full suites didn't get any free at sea perks. The us number is all you need to call to have amenities invoice sent to you for verification. No need to call the Asia number.