Another hub app question

librarymom

I'm planning on getting the hub app on my upcoming Vista cruise. I've seen the directions and they state to put your phone on airplane mode and activate wifi. If I put my phone on airplane mode, I can't receive phone calls or texts. It's not that I'm planning on receiving calls or texts but I'd like to leave my phone number in case of emergency. The person watching my house doesn't use social media so could only call or text in an emergency. I know calls/texts are pricey, and I'm not expecting an emergency, but I'd like to be reachable, just in case. Are there any other options such as turning off mobile data? I have an android if that helps. Appreciate any advice.

If you don't put your phone in airplane mode you will be roaming and could have hundreds if not thousands of dollars in cell phone bills. Get the Social Media package for $5/day (cheaper if you do it for the whole cruise) and have them contact you via Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp. I think WhatsApp Uses your actual cell phone number so they don't need to sign up for FB. Yahoo messenger also works. But it's the same as the Hub App - airplane mode on, wi-fi on and they can reach you and you them all the time. If you both had iPhones or at least iPods or iPads, iMessage works too with the social media package.

Edited by firemanbobswife

If you follow the directions and get your wifi set up (including selecting the plan you want), you should be able to take the phone out of airplane mode again. Data will then go through wifi, while the phone connection goes through cellular at sea. It's no different from using any other wifi network on land. If possible, turning off cellular data usage can prevent unintentional data charges, if you are in an area of the ship with a weak wifi signal or while off the ship in port.

Having said the above, I agree with firemanbobswife, that the cellular service on the ship is notorious for racking up outrageous charges very quickly. You would be much better off, if you and the people at home can use FB messenger or Whatsapp. After initial contact, you can always call them from your cabin @ $1.99 per minute, if necessary.

" thousands of dollars in cell phone bills"

how do you suppose this could happen? At sea, there is no phone signal anywhere. At port most service I am aware of charge about $2 a minute. All need to do is turn off roaming data.

how do you suppose this could happen? At sea, there is no phone signal anywhere. At port most service I am aware of charge about $2 a minute. All need to do is turn off roaming data.

Whenever you are near a port, your phone can automatically connect to the nearest cell tower and that can get very expensive. At sea it connects via the ship's satellite. https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1129/~/cellular-phone-service

I don't know how many times I have seen people write to JH demanding that Carnival reimburse them for their cell phone bills because "No one told us this could happen". It is never cheap and a family of 2 or more people can EASILY rack up thousands of dollars in fees.

I am very techy. I do not understand how you incur charges just being on someone's tower. For instance, Lime is a huge carrier in the Caribbean. Yes, your phone will say Lime, but you actually have to make a call to be charged. Incoming calls on AT&T are 50 cents. We travel a lot and have AT&T international, they have some great calling packages if you need to be connected like we do.

Edited by coevan

I am very techy. I do not understand how you incur charges just being on someone's tower. For instance, Lime is a huge carrier in the Caribbean. Yes, your phone will say Lime, but you actually have to make a call to be charged. Incoming calls on AT&T are 50 cents. We travel a lot and have AT&T international, they have some great calling packages if you need to be connected like we do.

All I know is what I have seen and the most recent one that sticks in my mind was to the tune of approx $700.00.

My phone stays off and in the safe or on airplane mode if I'm using it for the Hub App. I am not willing to take the chance of having an outrageous cell phone bill and I see no need for an International Plan. If I need to reach anyone or they need to talk to me, it will be using the Social Media Plan or they can wait until I pull into St Thomas or San Juan.

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/cruising-bruising-roaming-cell-phone-charges/story?id=35028773

http://cruisefever.net/cell-phone-costs-on-a-cruise/

Edited by firemanbobswife

Data Charges will be incurred. Most smartphones are setup to download tons of data in the background.. social media apps, email, app updates come to mind.

On a 7-9 day cruise, it could add up rather easily.

This definitely happens! $3,000 last cruise and my phone stayed in the safe. Fortunately I had called ATT ahead of time and was able to prove that the rep told me the incorrect procedures to avoid such costs. Still went without phone service for several days, made 40+calls to ATT and one to the better business bureau to correct their error

I'm planning on getting the hub app on my upcoming Vista cruise. I've seen the directions and they state to put your phone on airplane mode and activate wifi. If I put my phone on airplane mode, I can't receive phone calls or texts. It's not that I'm planning on receiving calls or texts but I'd like to leave my phone number in case of emergency. The person watching my house doesn't use social media so could only call or text in an emergency. I know calls/texts are pricey, and I'm not expecting an emergency, but I'd like to be reachable, just in case. Are there any other options such as turning off mobile data? I have an android if that helps. Appreciate any advice.

I'd suggest buying the social plan and activating Wifi Calling on your phone. Simple and easy to do!

LibraryMom- if your housesitter is truly a non-techie and you're not expecting any emergencies, it might be easier to just make sure they have the phone number for Carnival to contact the ship. That way, in the event of a true emergency, they can call and the ship will get a message to you.

Then you can move your phone to airplane mode and proceed as planned without worry!

From Carnival's FAQs...

Shore-to-Ship Communication – Emergency Contact Number

We do not offer a direct dialing service to our ships.

The following number is to be used as an emergency contact number for family members not traveling with our guests. In the event of a true emergency, family may contact our call center at*1-800-227-6482*on a 24/7 basis

This definitely happens! $3,000 last cruise and my phone stayed in the safe. Fortunately I had called ATT ahead of time and was able to prove that the rep told me the incorrect procedures to avoid such costs. Still went without phone service for several days, made 40+calls to ATT and one to the better business bureau to correct their error

Sorry I just don't believe you, the phone was in the safe, how could it get a signal. You can't make or receive calls at sea, so that's out. Incoming calls on AT&T are 50 cents. Where were these charges incurred? I have been sailing the Caribbean for 30 years and never put my phone on airplane mode. I do get the international calling plan for $6. I would recommend it to anyone sailing. The only thing you need to do is block roaming data.

Sorry I just don't believe you, the phone was in the safe, how could it get a signal. You can't make or receive calls at sea, so that's out. Incoming calls on AT&T are 50 cents. Where were these charges incurred? I have been sailing the Caribbean for 30 years and never put my phone on airplane mode. I do get the international calling plan for $6. I would recommend it to anyone sailing. The only thing you need to do is block roaming data.

You can still get a signal if the phone is in your safe. It's not like it's underground or something - it's just a glorified closet on the ship. Happened to me once. I saw I got a text saying I was roaming on some St Maarten network. Thankfully I saw it when I went to get something out of there and turned my phone off. I forgot to when we left St Thomas.

most phones except Verizon are free in STT, AT&T is LITE and very fast. you do not need to turn off your phone, just data roaming. As far as the safe, being a techie, how signal gets hrough a 1" piece of metal. I will test it in Orlando on Saturday and report back

most phones except Verizon are free in STT, AT&T is LITE and very fast. you do not need to turn off your phone, just data roaming. As far as the safe, being a techie, how signal gets hrough a 1" piece of metal. I will test it in Orlando on Saturday and report back

I know about St Thomas and Puerto Rico. That's why I had my phone on. I got the message from ST MAARTEN because I forgot to turn it off after talking to friends in St Thomas.

My building at work is made up of more than 1" of steel and I get cell signal just fine - even in the bathroom with no windows :eek:. I believe the ships are made of steel as well, but I'm not a ship engineer. We had a balcony cabin if that matters. I am hard pressed to get a decent signal in an inside cabin on the lower decks unless I go out in the hallway.

I called ATT and she advised me that Carnival doesn't have a plan with them for at sea service. She told me that I couldn't purchase an international package either because it wouldn't help me. We are going to Grand Cayman, Honduras, Belize and Cozumel. The rep really tried to help but I don't think she really knew what she was talking about. Coevan, how was your plan only $6? We want to be able to call our kids and check on them and I thought about purchasing the social media internet package and using the Whatsapp. However, I don't know if the Whatsapp calling feature will work while we are at sea. I have used free wifi in ports many times but am unsure of this app. The last thing I want is an outrageous bill.

If you don't put your phone on airplane mode, you can expect to get hit with an insane phone bill. All data that is sent and received on your phone (I'm assuming you have a smart phone) will be charged at some insane rate for all data and minutes used (and this is data that just goes to and from your phone when you turn it on). Not to mention the texts and calls you get as just part of your day as well.

There is really no greater way to rack up a several hundred dollar bill than keeping your cellular service on. If they need to reach you in case of an emergency there is a way to contact the ship, or you can call and check in each day, to use the phone provided in your stateroom it's like $1.99 a minute, which is very affordable.

its like $18 a mb or something stupid. that's how you rack up thousands in cell phone bills.

You might want to research "Cellular at Sea". Most cruise ships offer cell service via their own cell "tower". That service is very expensive and usually responsible for the high cell phone bills, if people don't put their phones in airplane mode or at least turn off data roaming.

My husbands phone was in the safe when we docked in mexico. he turned it on I think out of habit and we were charged $250 for about 2 minutes of it being on. The data was $15 per MB and when he turned on that phone, all the apps updated and flooded the phone!

My phone company also told me it was $6 per minute for voicemail. Even if you don't answer your phone, if you turn it back on and you have voicemails, you get charged.

I would certainly get a full explanation of what you can be charged for if you are not going to use airplane mode. All of the companies offer different international plans and have different charges.

We have tmobile now so there are many ports where data and phone are free now. we get a message that says "welcome to "country name" - use your phone as normal" and that is a nice feature for us!

Good luck with it all.

There's always lots of misinformation on this subject. You don't need airplane mode. You don't need to turn your phone off. To avoid huge bills, make sure that "data roaming" is turned off. It's that easy. It completely blocks your phone from using expensive international data. The folks getting the thousands of dollars in charges all had it turned on for whatever reason, most likely accidentally.

With data roaming off, you'll only be charged if you make or answer a call, or send a text.