St. Thomas - Jewelry store/s

beshears

We plan to be in St. Thomas (I have been there several times), in March.

I have bought some jewelry there, but need some GOOD recommendations where you go back more than one (maybe each time St. Thomas is being visited) time to the jewelry store, because of what you get, price, quality, and a store that you can COUNT on. Is there any "name" other that International Diamonds which the ship recommends that you would suggest we check out?

Edited by beshears

I recommend Cardow jewelers if for nothing else than their convertible rings. You get two different gemstones featured on one ring. The ring itself flips over and. It's hard to explain, but if you Google Cardow, you will see examples on their website. I believe they have a patent on the ring. I have two of them! My favorite has a Tanzanite on one side and an Australian opal on the other. Both stones are surrounded by small diamonds.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been going to Grand Jewelers in St Thomas over 20 years. In that time I have never had a problem with their jewelry and the appraisals I have done when back in the states is always higher than expected and never disappointed . My daughter just got engaged and now uses them too. This is a family business and have a shop in St Maarten also. Ask for Nevin in St Thomas . You can also contact by email if looking for something special. Grand.usv@gmail.com. Also you can bargain with them

Edited by Missymo

rjrpar: You want to put the fine businessmen and women of the Caribbean out of work?? Nothing is like it was 25 years ago, but people who do their homework can still find deals.And lots of people like to buy things that remind them of the fun time they had on a trip. ;)

rjrpar:

Totally agree! Not that I want to put anyone out of business, but if (IF) you encounter a problem with your purchase.....which location will take care of you quicker.....someone back home or someone 2000+ miles away????

Personally, the "big box Caribbean jewelry store" has multiple complaints about items not appraising for what you paid. The cruise line will NOT stand by you as their port shopper is paid a commission by them.....and they will claim "buyers remorse".

Stick with a small jeweler back home for your big purchases and buy a bobble/memento on vacation.

Buyer beware (i.e., how well do you REALLY know the value of your purchase???)

rjrpar: You want to put the fine businessmen and women of the Caribbean out of work?? Nothing is like it was 25 years ago, but people who do their homework can still find deals.And lots of people like to buy things that remind them of the fun time they had on a trip. ;)

I'm trying to make people aware there are risks in buying expensive jewelry in the Caribbean;

something I'm sure you know very well. Nothing to do with putting people out of work.

Alpha Jewelers on main street downtown. Not a big box but family owned. Sonny has been my jeweler for over 25 years. Never a problem with a return or appraisal. He can size rings or make needed adjustment while you are in port. Trustworthy and value for your dollar. You can email him ahead of time if you are looking for something special at sonny@alpha-jewelers.com.

• 2 weeks later...

My family has used Grand Jewelers for over 20 years. My husband got my engagement ring there 2 years ago and the customer service was outstanding. Their prices are unbeatable in the states. We have shopped at both their St. Thomas and St.Maarten store and have bought several pieces of jewelry. They are a great value and wonderful people.

Before I go any further, I want to "THANK" everyone that has responded with a name in St. Thomas that you would recommend. I have not been able to get on CC, as I have been under the weather, and still am, but HOPE/PRAY to make this cruise in March.

To those that gave me a website on the jewelry you mention, thank you as well.

The Cardow (I always like something different), sounds like something interesting to check out. I get a lot of compliments on jewelry that is different.

I do understand where people say to "purchase" where you live. What I have bought (I pretty much know what to LOOK for), when I take it to my jeweler, and tell him what I paid, he is AMAZED!

We have used Grand in both locations for years! If I have ever had an issue I just send it back to them and they fix it and send it back. The service is amazing! I am currently saving for something - I have no idea what but something to get on my next cruise! I really can't say enough good things about them!!!

Edited by Family Cruise 15

• 2 weeks later...

We have been using Ballerina Jewelers for YEARS. Downtown St. Thomas. Next to Mr. Tablecloth. Family business. Have locations in St. Thomas and St. Maarten. I prefer the St. Thomas location. Top notch service. Lots of inventory and custom designs. You can design your own.

Took some heirloom jewelry there last year and they did a fabulous job reconstructing and updating my jewelry that was about 80 years old. We have spent thousands there over the years, never disappointed with price or quality of their jewelry. It is much cheaper in the Caribbean if you compare apples to apples. Kathy and Doug