New York to the Carribean Nov.26th.

Jeffrey1950

Okay, I have pondered over doing the 5 day to Halifax in July still cannot make up my mind. This evening I saw another trip that caught my eye. New York trip to the Caribbean leaving Nov. 26th. returning December 8th. This sounds good but my questions to anyone who has done this one in the past are: How many days after you leave N.Y before you start feeling the weather getting warmer? Is the dress code and standard of service basically the same as a Transatlantic crossing? Looking forward to reading your replies.

Thank you !!

Not quite the same thing but I have sailed from New York towards the Caribbean twice but both were in January. On one the weather was nice by the evening of the first full day out of NYC and the other by the morning of the second day out of NYC.

Jeffrey, on the Christmas trip you're generally able to comfortably walk the promenade in the second morning and sit on the loungers by the third. Probably the November trip would be about the same.

Thank you for the responses I have received so far, can you tell me about the standard of service and dress code is it the same level as on the Transatlantic? I ask this because Cunard is well known for the service etc. and I am just wondering if they tend to let things slack off a bit on a cruise like this.

Again, my only experience is Christmas but it seems that most people are repeat passengers on the itinerary who presumably know the expectations.

We have four formal nights among the twelve nights. Adherence seems to be good, although when we're heading down to dinner a little before six you'd expect some people still to be dressed for their daily activities.

I know a few regular contributers here were recently on the November trip. Hopefully they can provide some better specifics.

Okay, I have pondered over doing the 5 day to Halifax in July still cannot make up my mind. This evening I saw another trip that caught my eye. New York trip to the Caribbean leaving Nov. 26th. returning December 8th. This sounds good but my questions to anyone who has done this one in the past are: How many days after you leave N.Y before you start feeling the weather getting warmer? Is the dress code and standard of service basically the same as a Transatlantic crossing? Looking forward to reading your replies.

Thank you !!

We did this trip this year. On the way down, it was warm enough to be out on the 3rd day, on the way back we were out the entire way back. This is a fantastic cruise, we've done it before and will do it again. I would also recommend waiting to book this one, the prices will drop after final payment. For some reason, at least this year, this cruise didn't sell well. We booked about a month out and got a great rate.

Thank you for the responses I have received so far, can you tell me about the standard of service and dress code is it the same level as on the Transatlantic? I ask this because Cunard is well known for the service etc. and I am just wondering if they tend to let things slack off a bit on a cruise like this.

I did walk the promenade on day one but it was chilly

Thank you !!

I've done the Caribbean in November 2015 (I think it was the first November one that QM2 has done in a while). I remember being very surprised on the first morning waking up and going out on my sheltered balcony and felt how balmy it was. Maybe just fine weather there at the time, but I would say definitely by the second morning you'll feel the warmth.

I've never done Transatlantic yet (hope to soon), but I would say that the dress code was adhered to as best as any other voyage I've taken. I expected more fiesta flare in the dresses, etc. but I don't think that at dinner (whether formal or informal) that I saw any deviation from the code. People were all dressed quite lovely.

I have also done (about four) July 1 Boston/Halifax five day voyages. If you're still pondering between the two, perhaps I can offer my two cents also:

July 1: Shorter voyage which is good to get your feet wet on whether you enjoy the QM2 (if you've never sailed her before). It allows for using less vacation time due to the number of days, plus a holiday (if you're able to take advantage of that). But... the con is that it is typically more expensive per day, and I've not seen it come down in price. I am however booked on that voyage in 2017.

Caribbean (November): More sea days. Jumps from island to island in the middle of the voyage, then sea days. Warm weather. Price came down drastically this year (2016). I will watch the prices of that one in 2017 to see if the prices drop like they did (but it's always a gamble). Even without the price drop, I suspect that the per-diem rate is lower than the July 1 voyage.

Either way, if you've not taken QM2 before, be forewarned... she's addictive. You'll no sooner get off the ship, and you'll be looking for your next voyage.

I've done the Caribbean in November 2015 (I think it was the first November one that QM2 has done in a while). I remember being very surprised on the first morning waking up and going out on my sheltered balcony and felt how balmy it was. Maybe just fine weather there at the time, but I would say definitely by the second morning you'll feel the warmth.

I've never done Transatlantic yet (hope to soon), but I would say that the dress code was adhered to as best as any other voyage I've taken. I expected more fiesta flare in the dresses, etc. but I don't think that at dinner (whether formal or informal) that I saw any deviation from the code. People were all dressed quite lovely.

I have also done (about four) July 1 Boston/Halifax five day voyages. If you're still pondering between the two, perhaps I can offer my two cents also:

July 1: Shorter voyage which is good to get your feet wet on whether you enjoy the QM2 (if you've never sailed her before). It allows for using less vacation time due to the number of days, plus a holiday (if you're able to take advantage of that). But... the con is that it is typically more expensive per day, and I've not seen it come down in price. I am however booked on that voyage in 2017.

Caribbean (November): More sea days. Jumps from island to island in the middle of the voyage, then sea days. Warm weather. Price came down drastically this year (2016). I will watch the prices of that one in 2017 to see if the prices drop like they did (but it's always a gamble). Even without the price drop, I suspect that the per-diem rate is lower than the July 1 voyage.

Either way, if you've not taken QM2 before, be forewarned... she's addictive. You'll no sooner get off the ship, and you'll be looking for your next voyage.

My goodness, what great replies. Of course you nice people have made the choice even harder for me. Leaning towards the Caribbean, but I am still going to ponder over the July trip. Taking into account the price difference between November and July I feel even at todays rates November is a great price...decisions, decisions !!!

My goodness, what great replies. Of course you nice people have made the choice even harder for me. Leaning towards the Caribbean, but I am still going to ponder over the July trip. Taking into account the price difference between November and July I feel even at todays rates November is a great price...decisions, decisions !!!

Funny, when I read your reply, your last sentence "decisions, decisions", I read it wrong and thought it said "donations, donations". Chuckle...

Heck... do both! I signed up for the July 1 anyway, and I'll watch the prices next Oct/November for either a B2B or Caribbean (if I can save up enough vacation days).

Funny, when I read your reply, your last sentence "decisions, decisions", I read it wrong and thought it said "donations, donations". Chuckle...

Heck... do both! I signed up for the July 1 anyway, and I'll watch the prices next Oct/November for either a B2B or Caribbean (if I can save up enough vacation days).

Too funny !! I really enjoy reading your response's. Much, as I would like to do the Caribbean one I think I will do the July one like yourself and take it from there.

Too funny !! I really enjoy reading your response's. Much, as I would like to do the Caribbean one I think I will do the July one like yourself and take it from there.

Thank you for the compliment. I hope to help. I'm 'paying it forward' as I had some questions a couple weeks ago (about spa swimwear) and everyone was so kind in their responses, and so very helpful to me.

There's a roll call for that July 1 voyage going right now. Only myself and the OP have responded on it so far. But it'll get more active as time nears.

As I mentioned on the roll call; I've been on that very voyage (July 1) maybe about 4 times now. And I've always been too tired to stay up to watch the Boston fireworks from the deck (yeah, I'm such a party animal - Ha... I'm in my fuzzy slippers and PJs by then). I think I'll actually stay up and watch - although they say it's a little far off and you have to look though the spaces in the buildings (someone who knows can pipe in and confirm). There's usually a lot going on in Boston during that time frame we're there.

Halifax is nice too. I've only done a hop-on/hop-off type tour, and that was a good way to get acquainted with it. But this time, I'd like to learn more about the Titanic if there is an excursion. My SIL has gone to Peggy's Cove and said she loved it. Seems to be a popular excursion.

Oh, and I'm not sure if you know, but when you look at the description of the voyage, it lists NY; at sea; Halifax; Boston; Boston; NY. One would assume that there is only one sea day, but there's really two. The ship pulls out of Boston in the wee hours (maybe just past midnight), but that day before we head into New York is really a sea day to enjoy.

Is this your first time aboard QM2? I don't have the thread showing above this as I type, so I don't know if you have a signature that indicates it or not.

Oh, just one more story if I may... yeah, I know... TLDR. IF you've not been on QM2, you should really go up to the deck after she pulls out of dock in Brooklyn, and watch as she goes under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. I'm usually getting ready for early seating in the dining room, and have alway missed it. But on my Caribbean 2015 voyage, I did late seating, and was able to go up on deck to watch. All I can say it "WOW". A sight to see as she just barely clears it. I thought it would be so cool to video the whole thing. I had the right spot, and the perfect angle, and watched through my camera and panned as she went under the bridge. What a perfect way to remember that... Well... dummy me didn't have the 'record' button pushed on my camera, and didn't tape a thing. But I'll still always remember... and there's aways YouTube.

Good luck.

Mary

Thank you for the compliment. I hope to help. I'm 'paying it forward' as I had some questions a couple weeks ago (about spa swimwear) and everyone was so kind in their responses, and so very helpful to me.

There's a roll call for that July 1 voyage going right now. Only myself and the OP have responded on it so far. But it'll get more active as time nears.

As I mentioned on the roll call; I've been on that very voyage (July 1) maybe about 4 times now. And I've always been too tired to stay up to watch the Boston fireworks from the deck (yeah, I'm such a party animal - Ha... I'm in my fuzzy slippers and PJs by then). I think I'll actually stay up and watch - although they say it's a little far off and you have to look though the spaces in the buildings (someone who knows can pipe in and confirm). There's usually a lot going on in Boston during that time frame we're there.

Halifax is nice too. I've only done a hop-on/hop-off type tour, and that was a good way to get acquainted with it. But this time, I'd like to learn more about the Titanic if there is an excursion. My SIL has gone to Peggy's Cove and said she loved it. Seems to be a popular excursion.

Oh, and I'm not sure if you know, but when you look at the description of the voyage, it lists NY; at sea; Halifax; Boston; Boston; NY. One would assume that there is only one sea day, but there's really two. The ship pulls out of Boston in the wee hours (maybe just past midnight), but that day before we head into New York is really a sea day to enjoy.

Is this your first time aboard QM2? I don't have the thread showing above this as I type, so I don't know if you have a signature that indicates it or not.

Oh, just one more story if I may... yeah, I know... TLDR. IF you've not been on QM2, you should really go up to the deck after she pulls out of dock in Brooklyn, and watch as she goes under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. I'm usually getting ready for early seating in the dining room, and have alway missed it. But on my Caribbean 2015 voyage, I did late seating, and was able to go up on deck to watch. All I can say it "WOW". A sight to see as she just barely clears it. I thought it would be so cool to video the whole thing. I had the right spot, and the perfect angle, and watched through my camera and panned as she went under the bridge. What a perfect way to remember that... Well... dummy me didn't have the 'record' button pushed on my camera, and didn't tape a thing. But I'll still always remember... and there's aways YouTube.

Good luck.

Mary

Mary, your response's are such a delight in fact I think you should become a spokeswoman for Cunard. I have sailed three times with Cunard but not on the QM2. Every year I look to book on her then change to something else. I cruise every year now in fact between August and October this year I cruised twice to Canada but never as far Halifax. You and I have something in common I have always wanted to go to Halifax and take in a tour about the "Titanic". I just have to get the time off from work approved and it is a "go" Thanks, for all your help !!

Liz

That's wonderful Liz you've got the go ahead to take time off of work. Funny, I just told my boss... guess what, I'm taking time off to go on QM2 again. What can he do, fire me? Woo hoo... more time to cruise. Hmmm... less money though. "Donations, Donations..."

If you check out the roll call, as time goes on, they might set up a 'meet and greet'. I've never been to one, but might this time. Perhaps I'll see you there.

Edited by mainewoods

That's wonderful Liz you've got the go ahead to take time off of work. Funny, I just told my boss... guess what, I'm taking time off to go on QM2 again. What can he do, fire me? Woo hoo... more time to cruise. Hmmm... less money though. "Donations, Donations..."

If you check out the roll call, as time goes on, they might set up a 'meet and greet'. I've never been to one, but might this time. Perhaps I'll see you there.

Meet and great....sounds like a plan !! I think you read my posting wrong, have not spoken to my boss as yet but will in January. If she says yes then I will book for sure book. Looking forward to maybe meeting you onboard. Next problem is what to bring to wear. I am a great planner, I plan everything I bring to the littlest detail. I am sure that first evening out passengers to not get too dressed up. What size of table would you recommend? Am I right to assume there is only one formal night?

Meet and great....sounds like a plan !! I think you read my posting wrong, have not spoken to my boss as yet but will in January. If she says yes then I will book for sure book. Looking forward to maybe meeting you onboard. Next problem is what to bring to wear. I am a great planner, I plan everything I bring to the littlest detail. I am sure that first evening out passengers to not get too dressed up. What size of table would you recommend? Am I right to assume there is only one formal night?

OMG... I though I was the only one to plan everything to detail. I even have a checklist, and I write out what to wear for each day (daytime and dinner) - and I keep said checklist so I can refer to it next time. I even write notes about the voyage (these shoes worked, this dress didn't, etc.).

What I'm doing this time is just bringing one long black skirt (for formal), and two sparkly tops. I first thought that there would be two formal evenings. Usually they're on sea days, but being that the last sea day is just before arriving back in NYC, then I'm not so sure. But I can always wear the long skirt/top even for informal. I try to do a lot of mixing and matching of my day clothing to cut down on packing. I also have used the laundry service (not laundromat) a few times for my day-wear.

The first evening would be informal probably. I 'plan' my day wear with some sort of blouse that I can just add the skirt for the dinner - especially on the first evening, as I like to go to the sail-away, and don't have a lot of time to get ready. I did buy three of those 'walkabout' knit dresses at TravelSmith. Those travel nice. You can ball them and they don't wrinkle. If I can get enough nerve to wear them during the sea days (think, big bird in nylons), then I can also use those dresses for dinner (just add a nice shawl/scarf,shrug). For any port days, I wear pants because I like to wear sneakers for the excursions.

I've had tables for two, table for four, and table for eight for dinner (I'm always in the Britannia dining room). If you like more intimate conversation, then smaller table. If you like to chat among a few other folks, then larger table is nice. When I was seated at a larger table, we had wonderful table mates. Great conversations. This time, my SIL opted for a table for 4, but I figure since I have a smaller in the evening, I can aways ask for a larger table for breakfast or lunch, and meet a lot more people.

One advantage of doing the July voyage is that you know you'll have nicer weather the entire time. On Caribbean voyages, you have cold to start (along with first wearing your cold weather clothing) and you also need to bring hot weather clothing. On the Quebec voyage (froze my buns off up there) you need heavy sweater, and in my case a wool scarf, gloves, coat. In July, it's warm, but it's a good idea to bring a sweater (as we are going North) and perhaps an umbrella.

Fingers crossed for your time off.

OMG... I though I was the only one to plan everything to detail. I even have a checklist, and I write out what to wear for each day (daytime and dinner) - and I keep said checklist so I can refer to it next time. I even write notes about the voyage (these shoes worked, this dress didn't, etc.).

What I'm doing this time is just bringing one long black skirt (for formal), and two sparkly tops. I first thought that there would be two formal evenings. Usually they're on sea days, but being that the last sea day is just before arriving back in NYC, then I'm not so sure. But I can always wear the long skirt/top even for informal. I try to do a lot of mixing and matching of my day clothing to cut down on packing. I also have used the laundry service (not laundromat) a few times for my day-wear.

The first evening would be informal probably. I 'plan' my day wear with some sort of blouse that I can just add the skirt for the dinner - especially on the first evening, as I like to go to the sail-away, and don't have a lot of time to get ready. I did buy three of those 'walkabout' knit dresses at TravelSmith. Those travel nice. You can ball them and they don't wrinkle. If I can get enough nerve to wear them during the sea days (think, big bird in nylons), then I can also use those dresses for dinner (just add a nice shawl/scarf,shrug). For any port days, I wear pants because I like to wear sneakers for the excursions.

I've had tables for two, table for four, and table for eight for dinner (I'm always in the Britannia dining room). If you like more intimate conversation, then smaller table. If you like to chat among a few other folks, then larger table is nice. When I was seated at a larger table, we had wonderful table mates. Great conversations. This time, my SIL opted for a table for 4, but I figure since I have a smaller in the evening, I can aways ask for a larger table for breakfast or lunch, and meet a lot more people.

One advantage of doing the July voyage is that you know you'll have nicer weather the entire time. On Caribbean voyages, you have cold to start (along with first wearing your cold weather clothing) and you also need to bring hot weather clothing. On the Quebec voyage (froze my buns off up there) you need heavy sweater, and in my case a wool scarf, gloves, coat. In July, it's warm, but it's a good idea to bring a sweater (as we are going North) and perhaps an umbrella.

Fingers crossed for your time off.

I will keep you posted. I laughed when I read about your list, I take everything right to a roll of duck tape I tell everyone that is in the event a case rips open or a handle breaks...makes sense I would say. Each time I cruise and I think of something I wish I had brought it goes right on the list for my next trip. How smart we get when we grow older. I just keep making those list....