Noro on Summit?

irishayes

Bump

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Bump

Hi irishayes,

I know you're just hoping for a response from someone who was on this sailing, but bumping posts is frowned upon on Cruise Critic forums. From the community guidelines:

Please do not manipulate postings on the boards by "bumping" topics to the top of the forum. Members will assume something of value has been posted, only to find that the newest posting is nothing more than a "bump post". This only wastes everyone's time.

Your best bet is to follow this forum closely and watch for someone posting a review or starting a post about this subject post-cruise.

We were on the December 24 sailing, and the ship was in full lock-down mode until about the 28th.

Embarkation was delayed until 2:00 pm, then we weren't able to get into cabins until 5 pm (sailaway was 8:30 pm).

No sugar packets, no salt & pepper, no menus anywhere, butter in the foil containers. Pax couldn't touch a dish, or even grab their own utensil roll up. In Blu, waiters served the rolls, there were no little bowls with vegetables and hummous ... absolutely nothing that a passenger may touch could be touched by another passenger. The crew were all quite relieved when the lock-down was lifted and they could go back to doing their regular jobs. I think it took a real toll on them.

I kept asking crew members what the deal was, but apparently they had been well trained because no one would dish on how bad the outbreak was.

Wash your hands people, wash your hands.

UGH! So hopefully by the time we get on Jan 16th. Things will be completely sterile. Not sure if that stuff resurfaces again or if a good cleaning is all it takes?
If a passenger brings it on board and it spreads, that's all you need - it doesn't matter how clean the ship is - they will need to go through the whole process again.

Thanks for the updates. I'm wondering if the outbreaks of Noro are due to increased number of children on the ship over the holidays?

I also just got a text, email, and phone call from Celebrity regarding Zika virus in the islands we are visiting. Is this just standard protocol to inform everyone about the possibility of Zika virus, or have there been recent increases in this?

We were on the Dec. 17 - 24th cruise as mentioned above. JanineM, is correct in how the service drastically changed in our cruise. We heard rumors on the boat from fellow passengers AND crew on what exactly was happening.

It's my understanding there were roughly 50 (+/-) people who had come down with some type of gastrointestinal issues. These are only the folks who sought some type of treatment on-board. Who knows how many other people may have felt sick on the boat, but never checked-in with the Dr.

The ship handled it perfectly well. I noticed some staff who typically tend the Martini Bar were also working other shifts/locations on the boat. Our Martini Bar sever said one of his colleagues was so sick he couldn't walk. I point this out to state it was crew and passengers who identified as sick, yet the ship and their staff were awesome. Yes, you couldn't touch some of the menus. Employees couldn't touch your seapass card, etc. Sometimes service was much slower than normal. Staff were posted at all doors and forcing everyone to sanitize--- Summit has very few automatic doors compared to Solstice class--so lots of door knobs had to be touched in public spaces.

In our room the couch pillows were removed, all reading materials thrown out, tray with cups on it removed, and a few other items. While off-ship for excursions they were spraying every room and public space with disinfectant using a rather large machine...not your typical handheld Lysol spray. Staff didn't get much time off the ship as scheduled, from what we heard. They all were working overtime to stay on top of any damaging outbreak.

This outbreak did not ruin our trip. It changed normal service levels, but was understandable at the same time.

I contracted sudden illness on the Summit the night of Dec 16, the last night of the cruise. We called the medical area at 4 am and the nurse practitioner promptly sent a wheelchair for me. I received evaluation then an injection to stop vomiting, at no charge. Up until that night about 11 PM I was fine. We had been on a snorkeling trip including a beach lunch, so not sure where I picked up the illness. I was told there was 'a bug' on board so I was not the only one. The nurse said it was rare for the Summit to have this illness, that a passenger had brought it onboard. On this sailing I was surprised there was not always an employee stationed at entrances to buffet dining rooms to ensure hand disinfection, which was a change from my previous experiences on the Summit & other ships. I was on the Summit 2 years ago with no problem. This is only the second time in 15 cruises that I've had any illness. My suggestion is look for the hand disinfection units near dining rooms & other areas of the ship & use them, & wash hands often, especially after touching railings! We enjoy the Summit & would sail on her again.

Thanks for the updates. I'm wondering if the outbreaks of Noro are due to increased number of children on the ship over the holidays?

I also just got a text, email, and phone call from Celebrity regarding Zika virus in the islands we are visiting. Is this just standard protocol to inform everyone about the possibility of Zika virus, or have there been recent increases in this?

I wouldn't lay the blame on children.. Just sit at the buffet and watch adults. I have seen so many licking their fingers in the buffet line and picking up serving utensils so that you get all the germs from their mouth

Sit and watch people at other tables.. yes finger licking and teeth picking.. then going back for seconds!!!.I would suggest those throw away plastic gloves for touching things that others touch if you are concerned

and oh.. those elevator buttons and handrails.... just be mindful about what you touch

I actually spoke to a women in front of me in the buffet line who was eating a piece of pizza and then licking her fingers. She gave me a dirty look so when the salad bar opened up I took my tray and walked in front of her.. and so did the person behind me

We were on the December 24 sailing, and the ship was in full lock-down mode until about the 28th.

No sugar packets, no salt & pepper, no menus anywhere, butter in the foil containers. Pax couldn't touch a dish, or even grab their own utensil roll up. In Blu, waiters served the rolls, there were no little bowls with vegetables and hummous ... absolutely nothing that a passenger may touch could be touched by another passenger. The crew were all quite relieved when the lock-down was lifted and they could go back to doing their regular jobs. I think it took a real toll on them.

We were also on that sailing.

Just a clarification, there had salt and pepper available (and I assume sugar packets, but I don't use them so don't know for sure), but you had to ask for them. They gave you the little packets of salt and pepper.

It was nice to go to breakfast on Wed morning and be able to serve yourself!, but I really didn't find it that inconvenient to have them serve you.

I wouldn't lay the blame on children.. Just sit at the buffet and watch adults. I have seen so many licking their fingers in the buffet line and picking up serving utensils so that you get all the germs from their mouth

Sit and watch people at other tables.. yes finger licking and teeth picking.. then going back for seconds!!!.I would suggest those throw away plastic gloves for touching things that others touch if you are concerned

and oh.. those elevator buttons and handrails.... just be mindful about what you touch

I actually spoke to a women in front of me in the buffet line who was eating a piece of pizza and then licking her fingers. She gave me a dirty look so when the salad bar opened up I took my tray and walked in front of her.. and so did the person behind me

And this is why I try to avoid the buffet line in most instances. I much prefer having my food served to me rather than grab food that has been breathed on and touched by multiple fingers.

If 75% of the pax on the cruise ship you are boarding had the Noro virus. Cancel, walk in a bubble of disinfectant. Heck just wash your hands every time you get a chance, and you might not get it NOTE MIGHT

Side note, we always start a probiotic before travel on a cruise ship, land tour, or on our own. Knock on the paper our travel insurance is printed on, Never had the pleasure of meeting a toilet up close and personal. Sorry In Peru, yes that is what got us on Probiotics but the Noro according to both medical centers in Peru and home said it did not come from Peru.

Embarkation was delayed until 2:00 pm, then we weren't able to get into cabins until 5 pm (sailaway was 8:30 pm).

I kept asking crew members what the deal was, but apparently they had been well trained because no one would dish on how bad the outbreak was.

Wash your hands people, wash your hands.

I just disembarked Summit yesterday (Dec 31 - Jan 7 cruise). At embarkation we were told that the previous cruise had some Noro issues. That being said, we did not hear about or experience any issues on our sailing and no precautions were in place.

On other cruise lines I have found that some have tissues on the back of the rest room doors, so that one can open the door without touching the handle having just washed ones own hands. Sadly many leave without washing hands. Does Celebrity do this?

I just disembarked Summit yesterday (Dec 31 - Jan 7 cruise). At embarkation we were told that the previous cruise had some Noro issues. That being said, we did not hear about or experience any issues on our sailing and no precautions were in place.

Actually it was 2 sailings before yours. We were on the one before you and we had no issues. We did spend the first 3 days in "buffet self serve lock down", but that was precaution from prior week outbreak.

That might be the most disgusting thing I've ever read. I don't usually pay attention to what other people are doing in buffet lines, but I certainly will from now on. What is wrong with people???

The level of ignorance about how germs are transmitted is mind-boggling. On our last cruise I saw a parent carrying a very small child encouraging the kid to push the call button for the elevator, probably the dirtiest single spot on the entire ship. Kids that age routinely put their hands in their mouths. When the kid gets sick and barfs and squirts for a few days they no doubt wonder where the kid "picked it up." Amazing.