Seven Days on the Dawn and Christmas in New Orleans: A Review

PaulInPGH

We finally made it to our cabin, which was great. We immediately plopped in our balcony chairs, only to get nice wet butts. They must have recently cleaned the balconies, and the chairs were still a bit damp. Pro tip: check your balcony chair for dryness before cavalierly placing yourself in one, and avoid the wet-bottom blues.

We hung out in our cabin for a while and, after drying our pants, headed to our muster station on deck 7. Our muster leader was a drill sergeant; she had everyone lined up and quiet very quickly—just the kind of person you’d like to have in the case of an emergency. While our group was standing at attention, awaiting orders, the group to our right was literally singing. Muster seemed a little longer than normal, possibly due to the fact that a lot of people showed up early, probably hoping that the sooner they arrive, the sooner they could leave. Everything went smoothly, despite the singing group next to us, and soon enough we were free to continue our exploration of the ship.

We finally made it to our cabin, which was great. We immediately plopped in our balcony chairs, only to get nice wet butts. They must have recently cleaned the balconies, and the chairs were still a bit damp. Pro tip: check your balcony chair for dryness before cavalierly placing yourself in one, and avoid the wet-bottom blues.

We hung out in our cabin for a while and, after drying our pants, headed to our muster station on deck 7. Our muster leader was a drill sergeant; she had everyone lined up and quiet very quickly—just the kind of person you’d like to have in the case of an emergency. While our group was standing at attention, awaiting orders, the group to our right was literally singing. Muster seemed a little longer than normal, possibly due to the fact that a lot of people showed up early, probably hoping that the sooner they arrive, the sooner they could leave. Everything went smoothly, despite the singing group next to us, and soon enough we were free to continue our exploration of the ship.

Hi Paul

Can you list the names of the officers and the CD when you were on?

thanks

gerry1.10

Edited by gerry1.10

I'm actually (and for the first time) considering NCL (I've always been on RCI, X or Azamara) and a cruise from NOLA would check off a life bucket list of mine. Your review has been great so far. I assume you'd recommend NCL. How was the food aboard? I was in Bermuda, riding a bus out to St. George with some NCL passengers. They asked us to send food down off our balcony (on Azamara Journey), because the food on their ship wasn't good. Looking forward to the rest of your review.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

I'm actually (and for the first time) considering NCL (I've always been on RCI, X or Azamara) and a cruise from NOLA would check off a life bucket list of mine. Your review has been great so far. I assume you'd recommend NCL. How was the food aboard? I was in Bermuda, riding a bus out to St. George with some NCL passengers. They asked us to send food down off our balcony (on Azamara Journey), because the food on their ship wasn't good. Looking forward to the rest of your review.

I've now done two cruises on NCL, previous two were on RCI, and the food on both NCL cruises was excellent, particularly this most recent cruise on the Dawn. I enjoyed my cruises on RCI, but I probably prefer NCL a bit more, especially with the promotions they've been running for the last couple years.

While exploring deck 13 earlier, we decided to make a late dinner reservation at Cagney’s for that evening. Since that was to be at 8:00, we decided to grab an early afternoon snack at O’Sheehan’s to tied us over. We ate at O’Sheehan’s on Getaway several times on our last cruise and really enjoyed it. This time, though, blew the O’Sheehan’s on Getaway right out of the water.

I don’t know if all the O’Sheehan’s have switched to this menu, but the one on Dawn was far more extensive than the one on Getaway last year. This O’Sheehan’s didn’t have the rotating nightly specials (prime rib, chicken and waffles, etc.), but the regular, everyday menu was far superior. Over the course of the week we sampled basically everything on the menu, and it was all fantastic! Chicken wings, hotdogs, burgers, open-faced roast beef or turkey sandwiches, and an absolutely fantastic fish and chips. This first afternoon, we tried the hotdogs—my wife got the Chicago dog, and I opted for the Coney. And let me tell you, these were not your average hotdogs. They were very large, deliciously juicy, and on a great hard bun. This version of O’Sheehan’s was, with the possible exception of the Flamingo Grill on Getaway, the best complimentary food we’ve had on a cruise.

We thought we’d watch the sites go by from atop Bimini Grill, so we grabbed one of the tables that can be found on either side of the bar. Unfortunately, the wind on deck 13 was quite fierce, so we didn’t stay outside for longer than it took to finish our drinks.

We decided to find Los Lobos and try out the tequila bar. This turned out to be an excellent decision, as we found both our favorite drink and our favorite bartender at this quiet, out of the way bar.

Los Lobos is located on deck 12 aft, most easily accessed by riding to 12 on the aft elevators, or alternatively walking through the crowded Garden Café on the starboard side, all the way to the back. The tequila bar is small, only about 4 or 5 seats, but we really enjoyed having drinks there almost every evening. The bartender, Rodell, was an incredibly friendly guy, and we enjoyed chatting with him whenever we’d stop by. In a “small world” moment, we learned that Rodell, who used to work on Getaway, was friends with our favorite bartender from our Getaway cruise.

I should also note the tequila bar was the only place on the ship that had what turned out to be our favorite drink of the cruise, the Tropical Paloma. This is a delicious mixture of tequila, passionfruit puree, Mexican grapefruit soda, and lime. We’ve already purchased ingredients so we can try recreating it here at home. I absolutely recommend you visit the tequila bar, both for the company and for the amazing drinks. If Rodell is still there, tell him Kathleen and Paul sent you.

Can't wait to read more! I have always wanted to do a cruise out of New Orleans :) Your report so far has me wanting to book, sooner than later...lol. I sure wish my lunch today could be one of those hot dogs from O'Sheehan's.

I was just there, and still all I really crave for lunch is Cajun food. Luckily, we've got a couple good places near us here in D.C.

If you ever get to San Francisco try The Elite Café. It was an older place that was closed, completely renovated and opened under new ownership. My wife's brother is chef de cuisine there. The place recently reopened to great reviews.

We really appreciate the info you have provided. We will be driving to the NCL terminal and booked on the 15-22 Jan cruise. We plan to park in the terminal parking lot and would like to know the route the taxi took from the Hilton. Are there any signs or sea caps in the area. I also saw a post about a new service the Hilton started by delivering your baggage to the ship. Also, was there a laundry bag special on your cruise?

Any info will be helpful.

Thanks

For whatever reason, it seems like I—a reticent flier at best, a white-knuckling ball of panic at worst—am always destined for weather-related anxiety and a rough flight every time I set out on vacation. Last year it was a hurricane off the coast of Virginia, this year bone-freezing cold and thirty plus MPH winds.

So...onward. Coming up: pre-cruise in New Orleans.

Xanax is your friend to calm your nerves while flying.