Massage on celebrity Reflection, is it worth it?

debvm

Hello, I am a massage therapist, so I am kind of a massage snob.😀 Have you had a massage on the Celebrity Reflection? What did you pay, did you get a discount for scheduling it later in the cruise? and did you think it was worth it? What other amenities come with getting a massage? Any opinions would be welcome.💆🏻

Hello, I am a massage therapist, so I am kind of a massage snob. Have you had a massage on the Celebrity Reflection? What did you pay, did you get a discount for scheduling it later in the cruise? and did you think it was worth it? What other amenities come with getting a massage? Any opinions would be welcome.

I would ask this on the Celebrity board. Here is the link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

I've never been on the Reflection, but in general I would say as a massage therapist you would be disappointed in a shipboard massage. The girls are not therapists, they just have "beauty school massage training", if you know what I mean. And price-wise, you can figure on paying twice what you would at home. Anyway, that's my opinion.

Hello, I am a massage therapist, so I am kind of a massage snob.[emoji3] Have you had a massage on the Celebrity Reflection? What did you pay, did you get a discount for scheduling it later in the cruise? and did you think it was worth it? What other amenities come with getting a massage? Any opinions would be welcome.[emoji1328]

1: too much, by a long shot

2: discounts tend to be for port days only or if you book multiple appointments

3: in no way whatsoever was it worth it.

4: a sales pitch.

For what they charge you on board( even with a so called deal) I can get two at home, including tip. And no annoying gobble de gook about needing to leach out toxins by buying their $99 special packets good for three treatments. The actual quality of the service is slightly below average plus without my regular guy who knows my body and how much pressure he can use.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The cruise lines actually have little to nothing to do with the Spa operations on ships. The operation of the Spas is contracted out to a third party who staffs the spa with their own people. The company that most often runs these spas is called Steiner (there are some other companies on various lines). Here is a link to Steiner's own web site....and you can read their minimum qualifications for various staff positions:

https://www.theonboardspa.com/page/About-Us.aspx

But there are a few facts about cruise lines Spas. Make no mistake...they are about making money...lots of money, for both the cruise line and the third party contractor. Prices are high, they push very expensive overpriced "Product" and the skill of the staff is hit or miss although you can assume they do meet the minimum qualifications set forth by Steiner. You might get a great massage therapist who has all kinds of training and credentials...or you might get somebody with some training and very little experience. Who knows? Of course you can certainly ask for the resume of the therapist...but you may or may not get an accurate answer.

Hank

• 2 months later...

My wife and I just had our last cruise ship massage on Reflection. Our last two cruises we have indulged in the "sail away" type of special, and agree with what's been said here about paying way too much for what you get. Plus you have to endure the hard sell. On Oasis it was a product push, and on Reflection it was for more services. In the future, we'll have a nice massage from our regular therapists at home and save our cruise money for other treats on board.