San Pedro

KruzeKrazy!

We are 3 couples arriving via 3 cars (one from Vegas, one from Phoenix, one from SFO) for a Ruby Princess cruise out of San Pedro.

Any suggestions regarding parking - by the cruise terminal, nearby, at local hotels, maybe consider a stay/park hotel etc.? Of course, want to understand cost, safety (people and cars), convenience to/from ship, etc.

I'd imagine this has been asked and answered many times already but I could not find any prior threads. So pointing us to any would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

We are 3 couples arriving via 3 cars (one from Vegas, one from Phoenix, one from SFO) for a Ruby Princess cruise out of San Pedro.

Any suggestions regarding parking - by the cruise terminal, nearby, at local hotels, maybe consider a stay/park hotel etc.? Of course, want to understand cost, safety (people and cars), convenience to/from ship, etc.

I'd imagine this has been asked and answered many times already but I could not find any prior threads. So pointing us to any would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

How long is the cruise and when do you plan on arriving?

Parking at the pier is $17 per night (so we paid $136 for the 8 night cruise we disembarked from yesterday). There really aren't any other practical long term options nearby--except for staying overnight at one of the local hotels using a park-n-cruise deal. The prices on those vary depending on the dates...and which hotel...But, if it were me, coming from out of town, I would drive in the day before and stay at either the Crowne Plaza or the Doubletree--the two nicest hotels in San Pedro. The rates won't cost you much more than parking at the pier alone.

The CP is very close to port--walkable in my opinion (I've walked it)...about four blocks from the terminal...but they also have a shuttle--which used to be free but reports are they are now charging $5 pp, but maybe still free with some deals. The Doubletree is a bit farther away but a prettier location by the yacht harbor. The CP is closer to a lot of restaurant choices, but, you'd have cars so it doesn't matter as much.

Some people stay at the Best Western on Gaffey--not as nice a hotels or location, but a bit cheaper...There are a couple of other hotels in San Pedro as well, but the standards go down a bit...

You also may find a Park-n-Cruise deal at some hotels in the Torrance/Harbor City area or in the distant part of Long Beach (Hotel Current) which MAY offer transportation to the San Pedro pier (Make sure it's the SAN PEDRO pier, Carnival ships sail from Long Beach which is 7-8 miles away)...But these aren't very convenient for cruises from San Pedro--many miles away and you need to call for a shuttle back when you disembark...

Good luck...

Bruin Steve -

Thanks a bunch for the great info! It's a 7-day cruise.

And I did see the parking rate goes up to $18 starting Jan 2017. No biggie - just wanted to add that in case others would read this thread so they'd have the 2017 rate info.

Did the close by parking look nice and secure? I assume it's uncovered parking...

Thanks again!

Bruin Steve -

Thanks a bunch for the great info! It's a 7-day cruise.

And I did see the parking rate goes up to $18 starting Jan 2017. No biggie - just wanted to add that in case others would read this thread so they'd have the 2017 rate info.

Did the close by parking look nice and secure? I assume it's uncovered parking...

Thanks again!

I've parked in the terminal lot many times...never had a problem. It is a large uncovered lot surrounded by a cyclone fence...but accessible from the street...Not sure how good the security is, but, as I've said, I've never had a problem...Get there the right time and you can park, literally, just steps from the front door of the terminal.

The parking at the Crowne Plaza has both uncovered and underground spaces.

I've parked in the terminal lot many times...never had a problem. It is a large uncovered lot surrounded by a cyclone fence...but accessible from the street...Not sure how good the security is, but, as I've said, I've never had a problem...Get there the right time and you can park, literally, just steps from the front door of the terminal.

The parking at the Crowne Plaza has both uncovered and underground spaces.

Thanks!

Bruin Steve -

A somewhat unrelated question: were you on the Ruby Princess?

There is starting to be a lot of conversation regarding the new Club Class and, in particular, its separate MDR "private dining" and its impact on Anytime Dining lines.

If you were on the Ruby did you experience anything different because of Club Class now existing?

Thanks.

Bruin Steve -

A somewhat unrelated question: were you on the Ruby Princess?

There is starting to be a lot of conversation regarding the new Club Class and, in particular, its separate MDR "private dining" and its impact on Anytime Dining lines.

If you were on the Ruby did you experience anything different because of Club Class now existing?

Thanks.

Yes we were on the Ruby...

It's hard to tell exactly what the impact of Club Class was...because I've ALWAYS seen problems with Anytime Dining on Princess ships...It is just poorly managed. We do Anytime on Royal Caribbean and on Celebrity as well...and have NEVER waited for a table on either--even though we typically show up at the dining room around 7:15 pm...

But there are certain problems with Princess' Anytime that have always been there...

First, dining rooms are disjointed--3 to 4 different smaller rooms depending on the ship as opposed to other lines' one large room--which allows for greater flexibility. Second, Princess does NOT check IDs heading into Anytime...and, no matter how much some Cruise Critic posters always claim that THEY, personally, never go to Anytime if they are assigned Traditional and think that nobody does, truth is that lots of people with traditional seating assignments either miss their early dining time or don't want to wait until their late dining time, so they show up at Anytime...and DON'T get turned away. Princess really needs to fix this--any little tweak would help.

That said, on THIS cruise, the lines and waits to get a table at Anytime were HORRENDOUS. Part of this may be due to the new Club Class, but part was also due to it being a Christmas cruise and a lot of large families onboard...People were lining up on behalf of their families with half their party not there...Then they'd get to the front of the line with 5 people and ask for a table for 12...and tell the hostess that everyone WAS there but they had to go get them in the bar...which all slowed down the line incredibly. The crew at the door would waste time with them while everyone who just wanted a table for 2 or 4--even willing to share--were left waiting behind the mob while they straightened it all out.

Did the removal of a number of seats for Club Class enhance these issues? SURE...

One night, we waited on line for a half an hour just to get a buzzer, then waited another half an hour just to get seated...and we were just two and willing to share...

I might have gladly chosen a traditional assignment had it not meant being forced to eat at 5:30!

Bruin Steve -

Thanks again!

While my wife and I will be in a full suite our 2 other couples won't so I am now considering switching us all from ATD to TD and requesting a table for 6 for all of us. Not as flexible but not such a long wait, either.

Or we could cross our fingers and hope Princess gets it figured out better by the time we cruise...

Another option would be for all 3 of you to park near LAX in an off-site lot (you can find these for a little as $8/day), and then get a free shuttle to LAX from the lot, and catch a paid shuttle like SuperShuttle from there to the pier, or take only one car to the pier, leaving the other two in the off-site lots. The first would take a little more time, but would save paying the fees at the pier for 3 cars.

Another option would be for all 3 of you to park near LAX in an off-site lot (you can find these for a little as $8/day), and then get a free shuttle to LAX from the lot, and catch a paid shuttle like SuperShuttle from there to the pier, or take only one car to the pier, leaving the other two in the off-site lots. The first would take a little more time, but would save paying the fees at the pier for 3 cars.

Thanks!