Crystal Mozart or Crystal Bach in July '17?

UUNetBill

Looking for advice, options, things to ask/consider, etc. before we make a choice...

There are four of us looking at our first river cruise next summer. We have a few Regent ocean cruises behind us but haven't done rivers before. Crystal has two options next summer, the Bach on July 2nd and the Mozart on July 3rd. Itineraries notwithstanding (we like both pretty much equally), does anyone know the pros and cons of these two ships?

Mozart is obviously larger, but they both look amazing. Are there usually any depth issues that time of year? Is the newly renovated boat a better choice than a new build? I'm so confused!

If anyone has any information to offer that may help us decide, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Looking for advice, options, things to ask/consider, etc. before we make a choice...

There are four of us looking at our first river cruise next summer. We have a few Regent ocean cruises behind us but haven't done rivers before. Crystal has two options next summer, the Bach on July 2nd and the Mozart on July 3rd. Itineraries notwithstanding (we like both pretty much equally), does anyone know the pros and cons of these two ships?

Mozart is obviously larger, but they both look amazing. Are there usually any depth issues that time of year? Is the newly renovated boat a better choice than a new build? I'm so confused!

If anyone has any information to offer that may help us decide, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Not one that is an easy to respond to since how do you comment on a vessel that has not been built.

From a pratical angle, it is about the logistics which are different to ocean cruising. What matters on river cruises is access to pretty views while sailing and stopping at small villages, not big or famous cities. The prettiest section of the Rhine for me is between Basel and Koblenz which I did last year.

The Rhine is less prone to low water in the summer than the Danube. The Bach does the lower Rhine which would have the least chance of low waters.

The Mozart will have its various back-up logistical plans in place. The Christmas cruise is the first time guests had to be bussed to Budapest and Bratislavia. However, plans have been practised with us as guinea-pigs. Their contingency plans worked fine.

Coming from Regent, you might seriously consider a Penhouse Suite rather than a regular one. Rooms on all river boats are small. Crystal has slightly bigger rooms than others but there are still small.

Interestingly about half the cruisers on this trip are from Seabourn, Cunard and Regent; those who wish to try a river cruise but have only experienced a luxury ocean cruise. I can say that Crystal has defintely brought high-end ocean cruising experience to the rivers.

The Mozart may not look pretty on the outside but it is absolutely gorgeous on the inside. That is what really matters. Feels no different to a new build to us.

Edited by JohnKen3

If you choose the Bach on the Rhine, hopefully the ship will actually be launched on time. Crystal has had to shift resources to get them built by delaying the French river ships and July is one of the earliest cruises. I have friends who were negatively impacted already by the delay with the French ships. Hopefully Crystal can deliver. We opted to do a different cruise line next year because we were concerned with Crystal's growing pains. Looking forward to trying them after they work out the kinks.

Thanks for the replies; I know it's almost impossible to compare something that doesn't yet exist...I hoped maybe someone had some 'insider info' that had been leaked, much like the info that trickled out on the RSSC Explorer.

I also wasn't aware of the production delays that had already happened. That's a worry for us since we have such a small window in which to travel.

JohnKen - I've been following your thread on the Mozart cruise - that helped us to decide to try a Crystal river trip. And I'm leaning toward the Bach itinerary since I used to live in both Frankfurt and the Cochem region, I'd love to get back for a visit.

Thanks again!

I also wasn't aware of the production delays that had already happened. That's a worry for us since we have such a small window in which to travel

No production delays as far as I am aware of. However, to date, Crystal has not had a decent track record in terms of teeth problems. However which cruise line has not experienced this.

The Espirit yacht launch had problems and after a few sailing it had to be taken out of commission for a couple of weeks to sort the air-conditioning out.

The Mozart was launched on time. However, they added in an elevator requiring rooms to be taken out and renumbering of rooms. I can add from observation that that elevator is used and is key to secure a number of bookings for Crystal. Given the sailings was fully booked, some travellers had their reservations cancelled. These issues arose in the months leading up to the launch date. I had to get my room switched with the renumbering. Just as well I did so since our allocated room ended up being opposite the laundry room where the doors remained open all day with the washing machine and dryers operating.

Cancelling the Seine cruises and the change of route for one river vessel caused further issues for many who booked them.

No issues arising from the Mozart's maiden voyage or since but then not many cruise critic review have arisen.

What I can say is the Crystal has successfully transferred the Crystal atmosphere from the ocean to the river. We feel comfortable and "at home" like we do on the Symphony and Serenity. The food is excellent and as far as I am concerned better given its a small kitchen and restaurant.

The service is comparable. Staffing is interesting. Crystal does heavily rely on those with past Crystal ocean experience to push the service levels of the many new staff. Attentiveness is variable in the main restaurant. One more sommelier would help especially to cover Vintage Room nights or "celebration nights" people are prone to order off the connoisseur list. There is appears to be lack of waits staff on occasions. Despite this being a full cruise and the last cruise of the season, I have notice the odd member of staff leaving the cruise early. Only two waiters and two bar staff all evening. Fine if it just the Crystal Cove that is open but on this cruise, guests were usually spread out in the Palm Court since there was a dance band performing nightly for half the cruise. All this, is nit picking, and minor details I am flagging up.

We have had a fantastic cruise over the past two weeks having loved and over-indulged in the Crystal Experience.

This is so so much nicer than the Uniworld cruise I took in summer in August 2015.

Edited by JohnKen3