1st timer cruiser going alone with 10yr old daughter P&O Brittania Canary Islands Apr

Becdebeaut

Hello, I've booked a cruise for me and my 10yr old daughter on P&O Brittania in April to the Canary isles. It will be our first cruise and I'm a little bit nervous about holidaying alone with a child. I wonder if anyone else cruises alone with their children? I know it's ridiculous but I'm having nightmares about her falling overboard! We've never been to the canaries before and so I'm wondering what the weather in April will be like and what to take for us to wear? Will there be plenty to do onboard to suit us both? Any general tips for cruising with a child, the Brittania or the Canaries or general tips? Thank you in advance, Becky

Vacationing with your child is no different from doing ANYTHING with your daughter! There will be plenty for both of you to do, either together, or alone.

I would get a guidebook on the ports you'll visit, so you'll know what there is to do in each place! Share that research with your daughter...let her help in the planning!

As far as her "falling overboard"...that simply won't happen! You have to make a concentrated (or totally drunken) effort to "fall" over those high railings!

Look, the more research you do, the better time you will have! Go to the "P&O" section on these boards for tons of info on your cruise line and ship...and get that guidebook on your ports! Google "weather" for the Canaries....you're going to have a lovely trip with your child!

Weather wise, your first and last couple of days on board maybe a bit cold. But once you get level with mid to southern Spain then it will warm up a fair bit. The weather in the Canaries is normally in the mid 20'sC. Haven't got kids, but understand that P&O have a fairly good kids club on board that your daughter can attend and meet others of her age. The ports you'll stop at are more the historic Capitals than the tourist resorts of Playa de las Americas or Playa del Ingles.

CB at sea thankyou I'm sure you are right, just general nerves about trying something new I imagine! I will go onto the threads for the Brittania and see what I can find and do some research on the ports, thankyou!

Newport Dave thanks for the weather tip, I hadn't even considered the difference in temp the first and last few days!