Greyhound??

n5749w

Megabus does not allow "ATL to MIA" routes to be ticketed. I have no clue why, but they just don't. You have to purchase a ticket to Orlando, then a ticket from Orlando to FLL or MIA.

That's an OK neighborhood, not great, not quite the hood. Just kind of tired and commercial. It's also kind of out of the way, and an odd place to use. There aren't really my places nearby to wait or grab a bite to eat, and walking in that area is treacherous at best due to ridiculously bad traffic and poorly laid out cross walks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:D I'm asking about greyhound bus service. I used them quite a bit in the 80's and 90's during their strike years. I'm curious as to if they have improved and what others have experienced with them.

Don't!!!!!!! It's not the same as as someone that drives by the Ft Lauderdale terminal you do not want to be on a bus going to Ft Laud!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just 2 comments. I only rode Greyhound once. With my grandmother from Southern CA to WA. It was a really long, uncomfortable trip with at least 15 or 20 stops along the way. I would never do it again.

Friends have 4 racing rescues. They do sleep most of the time. When they bring them to the park, they do run at play at very high speed for a few minutes. And then they are ready to go. The dogs are also slightly neurotic. They have chewed all of the padded door handles off in their (formerly) nice car. :)

:D I'm asking about greyhound bus service. I used them quite a bit in the 80's and 90's during their strike years. I'm curious as to if they have improved and what others have experienced with them.

Oh gosh don't do it. When they were Union they were far more decent than they are now. Now they are horrid.

(my dad drove for them in the Union days and since he retired he and his extended family could take the bus for free for the rest of his life...and we never ever do b/c it's so awful)

ya know I do not think I have ever seen greyhounds as Service dogs. I would think they are way too excitable...

You just have to take them up to the running track and let them race around. [emoji23] [emoji15], retired racing greyhounds make amazing pets, but not so good service dogs.

Oh gosh don't do it. When they were Union they were far more decent than they are now. Now they are horrid.

(my dad drove for them in the Union days and since he retired he and his extended family could take the bus for free for the rest of his life...and we never ever do b/c it's so awful)

This is exactly the type of answer I was expecting. My experiences were awful and I have no desire to give them a try again. My hubby has never rode with them so he doesn't understand me. With your "in the know" answer it helps him see that I am not biased! Haha!

Oh the stories I could tell! I was about seven but I remember a young mom got off the bus with a toddler and newborn to get snacks. The driver had mad an unscheduled stop to take a nap. He made it clear to be back on the bus in an hour. Literally, about 10 minutes later (I think passengers were complaining about the unscheduled stop), he drove off. My mom and I yelled for him to stop because the young mom wasn't back. She got left. Her bags were still on the seat next to us. It was awful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very true. We did find a direct line between Atlanta and Fort Lauderdale, so that was a plus. There are six of us cruising this time and trying to plan out the most cost effective way to get down there and back. My father in law and his wife won't be able to drive the whole way and they won't fit in our car.

First world problems, I know! ;)

Rent a minivan on a one way rental. Then rent another for the return trip. It Has to be less expensive for six people than plane, train or bus tickets. I can fit 6 people, 5 LARGE suitcases and carryons in my Sienna. You'd be amazed at what a minivan can carry. Way more than an SUV. We are getting ready to drive from VA to Port Canaveral for April cruise with six people in the Yota. It's just so much more cost effective than trying to get everyone plane tickets and to the airport.

Rent a minivan on a one way rental. Then rent another for the return trip. It Has to be less expensive for six people than plane, train or bus tickets. I can fit 6 people, 5 LARGE suitcases and carryons in my Sienna. You'd be amazed at what a minivan can carry. Way more than an SUV. We are getting ready to drive from VA to Port Canaveral for April cruise with six people in the Yota. It's just so much more cost effective than trying to get everyone plane tickets and to the airport.

This is exactly what we did! No parking fees and the van was cheaper than a Tahoe.

Woah! Virginia to Canaveral. Excitement always gets me to the cruise and pure determination gets me home! [emoji23]

This is exactly what we did! No parking fees and the van was cheaper than a Tahoe.

Woah! Virginia to Canaveral. Excitement always gets me to the cruise and pure determination gets me home! [emoji23]

You ain't lying! 12 hours+ but we are stopping and staying the night in Flagler beach area then will do the last 2 hours stretch the day of the cruise. 1 kid, 1 pre-teen, 1 teen and an elderly with memory issues. That drink package is going to pay for itself! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji484][emoji484]

Does Megabus have a route there?

That bus line is scary! Every other month they make the news here., and not in a good way.

You better have mega Valium if you are going to ride the Mega Crash bus

Thank you everyone for all the replies. As of right now, we have decided to rent a van from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale. We actually got a better price renting it Thursday to Saturday than it was Friday to Saturday. So weird. We have another van reserved for the trip home. My in-laws can physically drive but it is just less of a worry and less hassle if they are with us. We really didn't want to take two cars (and have to pay for parking for two cars either)!

We looked into Amtrak but it would have been silly to have to go from Atlanta to D.C. just to go back south to Fort Lauderdale. Go north to go south is silly to me. This option also took FOREVER!

Greyhound (bus, not dog [emoji23]) was a non-stop CHEAP OPTION ($35 one way!), but again, not one that I would actually want to do. 'You get what you pay for' (in my opinion) would be applied here.

Flying was out of the question price-wise. The only days that were cost friendly, would mean missing more school and work.

Megabus was discussed but I only hear about them breaking down or catching fire...

Greyhound (dogs, not bus [emoji23][emoji23]) could work but I would be afraid of making them look like pack mules with all the things my five year old INSISTS on packing! Although it does seem my five year old shares the attention span (and neurotic behavior) as they reportedly have! [emoji23][emoji23]

Again, thanks so much!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by n5749w

When I was a senior at USC, I had to do an internship with the South Carolina Department of Corrections.

Greyhound was the mode of transportation we used to bus around the criminals.

Avoid it at all costs.

You are my hero! You probably saved my whole families lives! Yikes!!

Thank you!

I heard that! Between sailing out of Port Canaveral and trips to Disney over many years, we are well conditioned for the robo-drive from ATL to Orlando. Last Feb when we cruised on Allure, the "extra" distance from Ft. Lauderdale to Orlando on the way home almost made the trip seem twice as long. Maybe after doing it again next month it will seem a little less - however there aren't many things more boring than the Turnpike drive between Orlando and Boca... :(

I heard that! Between sailing out of Port Canaveral and trips to Disney over many years, we are well conditioned for the robo-drive from ATL to Orlando. Last Feb when we cruised on Allure, the "extra" distance from Ft. Lauderdale to Orlando on the way home almost made the trip seem twice as long. Maybe after doing it again next month it will seem a little less - however there aren't many things more boring than the Turnpike drive between Orlando and Boca... :(

We are probably going to be 'chasing' each other next month... we will be dropping my father in law and his wife off in Newnan before heading to the airport to drop off the rental car and finally home to Villa Rica. The last day of the cruise is always the LONGEST!!