First Time Cruising- Driving from Toronto to Port Cape Liberty

hellokitty2017

First time Cruiser here!

We will be driving from Toronto with 4 adults and 3 kids (all under 5) for my family's first cruise in March 2017 with Anthems of the Sea.

We plan to take an extra day to travel since we have small children, and was wondering if there are any recommendations of where to stay along the way from Toronto to NJ, and best place to park our car once we reach the port?

Or are there any other activities that we can do along the way (outlet mall shopping was one of them..)

Also any other tips for cruising with young children? (my LO will be 20 minutes when we go in March)

TIA!:)

Which way are you planning on driving? From 90 you can either go to the Albany area and pick up 87 to 287 to 80, or you can take 90 to 81 to 380 to 33 to 78.

How far do you want to drive the day you board?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's the thing.. not sure what is the best way to do it..

The ship departs at 3pm.. and we plan to board the ship around 12 .. i think a 1-2ish hour drive is acceptable... because we are traveling with small children I think being closer to the port will be better

Having spent a good chunk of my life in the Syracuse, Albany, and Northern Central NJ areas, I know those roads well.

It is a little quicker going through PA... But, you don't have rest stops after you get off 90 and those roads can get bad if the weather is bad. There are also a LOT more deer than taking 90 to 87.

I would probably go 90 to 87 to 287 in NJ to 78 and that takes you straight to the port. This way you will have a very clear route, highway driving the entire way, and regular rest areas with fuel, food, generally clean rest rooms with changing tables, etc. There are tolls, but IMHO, worth it for better maintained roads.

There is parking at the port. So are you planning on two days of driving, not including the day you will be getting onto the ship?

If this is the case, I would go to Syracuse the first night and stay at a hotel on Carrier Circle. There are a number of price points, it's a safe area, and very easy to get on and off the Thruway there. That should be about six-seven hours with a border crossing and a few stops. Carousel Center is a big mall in Syracuse, you would get off 90 onto 690 to get there, or take 90 to 81--it's basically the intersection of 690 and 81. Tons of shopping and restaurants, and a historic carousel for the kids. It's an easy 15 minutes from there to Carrier Circle.

The next day I would probably head straight to the Port area and stay near Jersey Gardens Mall. Thruway to 87 to 287 to 78. I would avoid the Route 17 route in NJ, obnoxiously bad traffic. I prefer 287 to the Garden State Parkway. Usually less traffic, no tolls, wider lanes, and a pretty drive.

That should take you about six hours with a couple of stops. Jersey Gardens is a huge semi-outlet mall with plenty of restaurants. There are a couple hotels in that area--this is a place where spending a little more is worthwhile. It's safe enough, and puts you maybe 15 minutes to the port.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Edited by ducklite

I'm not sure Syracuse is far enough the first day to justify the stop there. I would go at least to Albany on the first day (this assumes the 90 to 87 route). This is a ride that can be made in one day if you can stand the 8 hours with all the kids. Google maps shows the route. From Syracuse just take 81 to 80 to 287 (they meet at Parsippany) to 78. 78 meets 95 to Jersey Gardens. That would give you a free day to get into New York and check out the city if you want. Depending on the schedule you could go to the Prudential Center in Newark (aka the Rock) and catch the NJ Devils in action, or even the Barclays Center to see the Islanders or Madison Square Garden to see the Rangers. Just some alternative options if you like. Enjoy with whatever you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I live in the Hammer and I have done drive-to's to Boston and Baltimore for cruising and fly-to's to NYC. Never with children however. I did find the following link offering hotel-shuttle-parking for Cape Liberty which may help you.

http://capeliberty.parksleepfly.com/?utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=cpc&ppc

I would look for a hotel that offers some amenities for kids (pool, water park, etc). NYC is only 400 miles from Buffalo (8 hours once you're over the border). I would make as many miles as possible the first day, even get all the way if the kids can handle it. I wouldn't want to face 4-5 hours driving on embarkation day and risk a flat, car trouble, bad weather etc. Go hard, get there early and put your feet up.

A couple of tips from my days of driving to Florida with kids. Leave very early (4-5 AM) and you may get a few hours of peace as the kids and your better half may sleep while you get some miles behind you. Also, pack the car the night before while you are clear headed. Don't put yourself in the position of having to organize loading on the morning you leave.

Once you've reached your destination you will find lots to do. Maybe do a little prep work on TripAdvisor for attractions in the area. 10's of millions of people live, work and play in that area. There will be no shortage of options.

New Jersey has great shopping options and has a lower sales tax than NY.

I hope you have a great trip!

Thanks - I was reading through this thread for hints on our upcoming cruise in March. This link was VERY helpful!

Even better - patch through ebates.com and get 10% cash back.

AND - use the coupon code "when" and get 20% off of the package!

I'm not sure Syracuse is far enough the first day to justify the stop there. I would go at least to Albany on the first day (this assumes the 90 to 87 route). This is a ride that can be made in one day if you can stand the 8 hours with all the kids. Google maps shows the route. From Syracuse just take 81 to 80 to 287 (they meet at Parsippany) to 78. 78 meets 95 to Jersey Gardens. That would give you a free day to get into New York and check out the city if you want. Depending on the schedule you could go to the Prudential Center in Newark (aka the Rock) and catch the NJ Devils in action, or even the Barclays Center to see the Islanders or Madison Square Garden to see the Rangers. Just some alternative options if you like. Enjoy with whatever you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are talking about THREE kids who are infant/toddler. Not sure you have kids, but six or seven hours is pushing the outer limits of the solar system as far as keeping kids that age even remotely happy in the car. I can't imagine trying to push longer.

The OP specifically asked about shopping options. I forgot to mention it earlier,Carousel Center a/k/a Destiny USA often has incentives for Canadian shoppers offering at par currency exchange and/or coupon books. Might be worth looking into.

Also keep in mind driving conditions in March & the snow storms can hamper driving times

Just getting to Niagara Falls/Ft Erie border crossing can take extra time in the winter months & dealing with lake effect snow across NY State

If you can leave earlier it will give you more of a cushion if things go pear shaped

One yr it took us 5 hrs just to get to Erie Pa because of the weather & driving conditions

Also you might be stopping more often with little ones heck even we have to stop every 2 hrs to get out & move about :D

First time Cruiser here!

We will be driving from Toronto with 4 adults and 3 kids (all under 5) for my family's first cruise in March 2017 with Anthems of the Sea.

We plan to take an extra day to travel since we have small children, and was wondering if there are any recommendations of where to stay along the way from Toronto to NJ, and best place to park our car once we reach the port?

Or are there any other activities that we can do along the way (outlet mall shopping was one of them..)

Also any other tips for cruising with young children? (my LO will be 20 minutes when we go in March)

TIA!:)

Hi, I have not seen an answer to your parking question. Parking at Cape Liberty is cheap and easy. The entrance to the port is a long drive. Actually there are a couple of spots you can stop and let the kids run around a bit before you get to the ship. Picture opportunity of the Coast Guard house (?) across the river also or pictures of the ship. She is very impressive if it is the first time you are seeing her.

You reach the end of the drive and you are directed where to drop off your luggage (NOT YOUR CARRYONS). You then proceed to the parking garage. It was $20.00 a day and I believe that is still the price. Park the car and walk back to the terminal and proceed to check in.

If you do not want to stop along the river, at the end of the drive you can pull into a small parking lot on the right. It is parking for the 9-11 tear drop memorial. There is open space for the kids to burn off some energy and the adults to stretch their legs. You can get some nice close up pictures of the ship, the NYC skyline and in the distance the Statue of Liberty. You can then hop in your car, drop off your luggage and then go park.

There are port-a-potties in the park and there are bathrooms accessible for outside on the left hand side of the terminal that are walking distance from the memorial. I believe the have baby changing stations. Past that now so I don't really take notice.

We live in Western Massachusetts and it takes us a good three hours to each the port -- this may help in your planning on where to stop for the night. If the babies are used to traveling a long car ride should not be an issue. I would recommend you buy an inexpensive DVD player and several movies so they can watch while riding. It will also come in handy on the ship -- there is a cartoon channel for kids but if I remember it is repetitive. A good movie can keep them quiet while you get ready for meals or excursions. I think the Kids Club will accept children over three but not sure.

Hope this information helps.

Someone already mentioned the weather issue, but to me that's THE major issue. It could be a disaster if there's a major storm arriving the day you plan to leave - you might lose a whole day or even more if there are blizzard conditions. The last thing you want is to be trapped somewhere on a closed road with kids in the car. We lived in upstate New York for several years and it seems that March was always very unpredictable.

If at all possible, have everything packed up and ready to go a couple of days early and start watching the weather forecast. If you see a storm coming, get out as soon as possible if there's any way you can do it.

Edited by Kartgv

You are talking about THREE kids who are infant/toddler. Not sure you have kids, but six or seven hours is pushing the outer limits of the solar system as far as keeping kids that age even remotely happy in the car. I can't imagine trying to push longer.

The OP specifically asked about shopping options. I forgot to mention it earlier,Carousel Center a/k/a Destiny USA often has incentives for Canadian shoppers offering at par currency exchange and/or coupon books. Might be worth looking into.

We drove long hours in the car when my oldest two were little. We drove a couple days from WI to OH, to NY to VA Beach. On the way home we were in a hurry and didn't want to stop. We left at 4 am and drove 20 hours straight through from VA Beach to GB WI with a 4 year old and my youngest was just shy of 2, I was also 9 weeks pregnant. It is possible to do it if you really want to and plan accordingly. This was in 2005 when there wasn't such thing as tablets, iPads, portable DVD players, etc. (if there were devices like such back then, we didn't have them)

Edited by amydresh

Thanks everyone for all the tips!

We do plan to leave on a Friday and perhaps stop by the Strong Museum in Rochester before making our way closer to our final destination.. that way if that weather is bad we have a buffer and can cancel any of the our planned side activities

Still deciding if we should just stop by Woodbury Outlet or just tour NYC on the Saturday..

If we do stop by Strong Museum, what are some good places/areas to stay in so that we somewhat closer to our final destination for Sunday's embarkment?

TIA

My husband and I did this drive a couple of times for cruises. We stayed in Syracuse the one time, as we had a late start. I can't remember the name of the hotel, but it was right next to a Quaker Steak and Lube restaurant (where we ate). The other time we drove straight through, with just restroom and food breaks. We usually get there the day before the cruise and then stay at a hotel not too far from the cruise terminal. That way you can do long-term parking at the hotel, for much more reasonably than parking at the cruise terminal, and then just get a taxi to the cruise terminal.

Having spent a good chunk of my life in the Syracuse, Albany, and Northern Central NJ areas, I know those roads well.

It is a little quicker going through PA... But, you don't have rest stops after you get off 90 and those roads can get bad if the weather is bad. There are also a LOT more deer than taking 90 to 87.

I would probably go 90 to 87 to 287 in NJ to 78 and that takes you straight to the port. This way you will have a very clear route, highway driving the entire way, and regular rest areas with fuel, food, generally clean rest rooms with changing tables, etc. There are tolls, but IMHO, worth it for better maintained roads.

There is parking at the port. So are you planning on two days of driving, not including the day you will be getting onto the ship?

If this is the case, I would go to Syracuse the first night and stay at a hotel on Carrier Circle. There are a number of price points, it's a safe area, and very easy to get on and off the Thruway there. That should be about six-seven hours with a border crossing and a few stops. Carousel Center is a big mall in Syracuse, you would get off 90 onto 690 to get there, or take 90 to 81--it's basically the intersection of 690 and 81. Tons of shopping and restaurants, and a historic carousel for the kids. It's an easy 15 minutes from there to Carrier Circle.

The next day I would probably head straight to the Port area and stay near Jersey Gardens Mall. Thruway to 87 to 287 to 78. I would avoid the Route 17 route in NJ, obnoxiously bad traffic. I prefer 287 to the Garden State Parkway. Usually less traffic, no tolls, wider lanes, and a pretty drive.

That should take you about six hours with a couple of stops. Jersey Gardens is a huge semi-outlet mall with plenty of restaurants. There are a couple hotels in that area--this is a place where spending a little more is worthwhile. It's safe enough, and puts you maybe 15 minutes to the port.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I'm taking your advice and will be stopping my Syracuse first and then booking a hotel near Jersey Gardens..

Just wondering what your thoughts are for this the Holiday Inn Express Syracuse Fairground as its just right off the highway? Or would it be better to drive in a bit and say in the Carrier Circle like you suggested?

I'm taking your advice and will be stopping my Syracuse first and then booking a hotel near Jersey Gardens..

Just wondering what your thoughts are for this the Holiday Inn Express Syracuse Fairground as its just right off the highway? Or would it be better to drive in a bit and say in the Carrier Circle like you suggested?

What is your exact cruise date? What is your hotel budget? Two rooms? Free breakfast? Do you need any other special amenities with the small children?

The hotels near Jersey Gardens Mall tend to be a bit pricier. The exact date matters a lot. Most of the Newark airport hotels also charge for parking. Give me your detailed requirements and I'll look around.

Carrier Circle. The fairgrounds area is kind of iffy.

What is your exact cruise date? What is your hotel budget? Two rooms? Free breakfast? Do you need any other special amenities with the small children?

The hotels near Jersey Gardens Mall tend to be a bit pricier. The exact date matters a lot. Most of the Newark airport hotels also charge for parking. Give me your detailed requirements and I'll look around.

it will be from March 5- 12

So the plan now is

March 3 drive out go to The Strong Museum, and then stay in Syracuse (near Carrier Circle based on the advice from others...) and yes free breakfast and free parking are the main requirements..

And then May 4 drive and go to Jersey Gardens Mall- and find a hotel near there.. was even looking at the Homewood Inn as it seems pretty spacious and then just drive to the port..on May 5th

The problem with the Newark airport area hotels is that the doors slam all night long with people coming in off late flights and leaving early for early ones. I can't figure out how the LAX Hilton, PHL Marriott, and LHR Sofitel are some of the quietest hotels I've ever stayed in, but the EWR Hilton was one of the loudest--all hall noise.

Stay near Jersey Gardens.

Edited by ducklite

it will be from March 5- 12

So the plan now is

March 3 drive out go to The Strong Museum, and then stay in Syracuse (near Carrier Circle based on the advice from others...) and yes free breakfast and free parking are the main requirements..

And then May 4 drive and go to Jersey Gardens Mall- and find a hotel near there.. was even looking at the Homewood Inn as it seems pretty spacious and then just drive to the port..on May 5th

Are you looking at Homewood Suites in East Rutherford? That would have free breakfast and free parking and has very good reviews. You might also want to look at the hotels in Harmon Meadows if you're into shopping. The whole Secaucus area is a good area to stay in if you're parking at the port - you avoid the spaghetti like roads and traffic congestion around EWR.