New to P & O (New Years Cruise next year)

Tin can

Hello all

Although UK based we have only ever sailed Royal Caribbean so was hoping for a bit of advice please on what to expect on P & O.

We are looking at a cruise on the Oceana from Southampton on 29th December 2017 for 5 nights.

It overnights in Amsterdam on New Years Eve which appeals and also raises a few concerns. We don't mind New Years Eve lively but don't want the booze cruise feel which some of our shorter previous cruises have felt like.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated?

Also would you be able to let us know how the freedom dining works, after you have booked the cruise do you book times online like we do on Royal or is this arranged on board.

Thank you :)

Freedom Dining means you just turn up at the relevant restaurant when it suits you and ask for a table - you can't book in advance. You will be asked if you are happy to share a table, and if so will probably get one straight away (if you are a couple). If you want a table for 2, you may need to wait until one is free, in which case they will give you a pager. You should be aware that it seems to be a "P&O tradition" that the queue outside the restaurant starts 30 minutes before it opens!

Hello, we did this cruise on Oceana in 2012, this was the days before freedom so we had fixed sitting. There were several parties on board but they were very much family events with young children playing with balloons and having fun. We don't have children and really enjoyed the festivities. I don't remember too much else, other than the fact that Amsterdam felt safe, but we didn't stay late.

We have just disembarked Arcadia after a 5 night to Hamburg (not as good as Amsterdam IMO). We were freedom dining and had to pick between 5.30pm sitting or 8.30pm via e-mail a few weeks before we sailed, we picked 8.30 but for some reason were allocated 5.30 when we got on board, we could probably have got it moved but we left it. I'm going to be honest and say that the service and food was below-par, the staff seemed very pressured worrying about turning the two sittings around, I thought about this in retrospect, and wondered if it was because in freedom they are less used to that regime. My recommendation would be to book a speciality restaurant that night, as you would probably be much more comfortable and can choose your time. If you do book I've noticed that they seem to put the less favourable times up at first, so my strategy would be to book one and then change it if more favourable slots become available. Hope this helps, let me know if you have other questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Florry

We have just disembarked Arcadia after a 5 night to Hamburg (not as good as Amsterdam IMO). We were freedom dining and had to pick between 5.30pm sitting or 8.30pm via e-mail a few weeks before we sailed

You had FD but had to pick a fixed time? This was just for New Year's Eve I assume.

Just got off Ventura this morning after doing this New Years cruise. It was lovely,,thoroughly enjoyed it. Had freedom dining but yes New Years eve was 2 sittings of which we were allocated 2nd one at 8pm. The ship looked great,,the crew were all excellent. It was a lovely way to see in the new year and we will definately do it again sometime. The overnight in Amsterdam was a bonus as it gave you a choice of where you wanted to be that evening. We found the city wayyyy too crowded and intimidating for us,,it's a very young city and I felt anxious to get back to the ship as the afternoon wore on and got darker and even more crowded. There was a good party atmosphere on the ship and lots of different age groups but I didn't see any bad or unacceptable behaviour anywhere at anytime. It was definately a family and friends affair,,no stag or hen parties. I'd say just do it!