Which guide book for port research?

soggy1975

I always use four sources and cross-check them. Rick Steves, Anne Vipond, general web searches, and the Ports of Call section of CC. I think Vipond is better on ports, Steves is better inland, (shore based vacations), but both are good. Most other sources are more about lodging and dining, less about travel and tourism.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't usually use guidebooks anymore. However, one tip for using them is to tear out the pages of any city you're in and carry that around, as opposed to hauling the whole book (or books ) with you as you're touring onshore.

The information will be outdated anyway when and if you return.

I do all of my research online and therefore am able to get different opinions and views. There are quite a few sites like this one http://www.whatsinport.com/ where you can get a general idea of what is in port, print a map, etc.

The amount of information you can get online is limitless so why limit yourself to one book (unless you are going to stay in one location for several days)? Plus, it doesn't cost anything other than your time (and not necessarily more time that it would take to read a book).