When was Your Guarantee Cabin Assigned?

LaShelle2

I booked on a special military rate for a March 4, 2107 sailing on the Magic. I've booked GTY cabins in the past on RCI and have always been assigned a room number shortly after final payment. How long does it take Carnival to assign a room?

And, if you do not like the room they assign, can you switch to something else in that category, or are you stuck? I am beginning to regret booking the GTY and not paying the extra to pick our cabin.

On my upcoming cruise my cabin was assigned 7 weeks prior. Deck 10 Lido close to pools and bars. Was super happy as great location. My last cruise this past summer I booked a gty balcony and was upgraded to deck 7. Every guarantee I have ever had has been an upgrade.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Forums mobile app

I booked a balcony and am curious if you can get stuck with a cove balcony on a GTY rate? As long as it's a regular balcony, I think we will be fine.

Any balcony, including a cove balcony, is a possibility when you book a GTY rate. Thats why it's a crapshoot.

I booked on a special military rate for a March 4, 2107 sailing on the Magic. I've booked GTY cabins in the past on RCI and have always been assigned a room number shortly after final payment. How long does it take Carnival to assign a room?

And, if you do not like the room they assign, can you switch to something else in that category, or are you stuck? I am beginning to regret booking the GTY and not paying the extra to pick our cabin.

You can get assigned anytime up until you arrive at the ship. I've done GTY once on another line, and we found out when we got there where we were on the actual ship, but we got upgraded so I was happy albeit a little stressed. When I book I like to pick my room so that I know I will be happy with where we are instead of getting put somewhere else that I may not like as much for whatever reason.

If you don't like the room, you're out of luck... that's the trouble with GTY, you get what you get, and you have to accept whatever you get. I've heard of people getting great upgrades, and I've heard of people getting cabins they hated.

Edited by xitappers2bx

I refuse to do GTY rates for balconies, UNLESS it is a Spirit class ship. (Higher number of balconies, and more decks that have people sleeping above and below you). I also won't do inside GTY (unwilling to accept upper/lower) or ocean view on the Spirit class. Even with that stipulation, we have only booked a GTY rate twice - and they were both this past May on the Fantasy and the Conquest on a semi back to back. We booked ocean view GTY on both, and our assignments were made about 6 weeks before sailing. We were assigned U215 on the Fantasy (which is a GREAT!!!!! location) and 1427 on the Conquest (which ended up being an okay location, but we were worried because it's literally the first door you see as you enter the hallway from the elevators. Being that far aft, it ended up not being an issue).

What you can do, is look at what is available still for your sailing for the number of people booked. That will help narrow the field of where the majority of the cabins are still open. In my experience, coves tend to sell out earlier than regular balconies (and after having a cove balcony last month, going back to a regular balcony will be tough on those ships). I would be prepared to likely be on Deck 6 though, as that seems to be where people don't want to book.

You may also be able to still go in and choose a cabin and pay an upgrade fee. Worth looking in to if you want some peace of mind. :)

Edited by tropicaledrink