Suggested trips for single guy

If you like to snorkel then run (don't walk) to the excursions desk as soon as you board and book a half day slot for Jinek Bay in Lifou. Superb snorkelling but restricted to 100 people per session, and it sells out very quickly.

I think you can just wander around Mystery Island, and swim and snorkel of course.

Not sure what to suggest for Noumea and Port Vila though. We usually just putter around Noumea on the HoHo bus, and I missed Port Vila on our last cruise there as I had the flu.

Log onto your cruise line website and have a gander at their shore tours that you can book online, there must something they offer to interest you, there should be heaps for vila, Noumea, Mystery island is self guided but when you walk into the "village" cough, where the big cannibal cooking pot is there are some diving type tours on offer by the locals.

Edited by 6666oz

Does Carnival AUS do any singles/solo events on a typical voyage?

I just checked through the Funtimes from our recent Legend cruise and, yes, there were Singles Meet & Greets in the Red Frog Pub at 10:15pm on most of the sea days. There didn't seem to be anything during the day though.

Yep , not on the Aussie site ! I'm taking your suggestions !

Maybe you need to be on the Aussie site?

It may be possible that Carnival Australia doesn't allow online bookings for excursions for some odd reason. I'm just not sure, sorry. I've only done one Carnival cruise and we didn't bother doing any excursions. Their website seems to imply you can only book onboard.

"Booking a shore excursion once you board is as easy as 1-2-3!

1. Decide which shore excursions you want to book by using this tool

2. Beat the queues - use the remote on the interactive TV in your stateroom to book; tickets and any information you need will be delivered to your stateroom.

3. Visit the Guest Services or Shore Excursions desk to book; you'll receive your tickets there and then

The online prices show the starting price and prices may vary depending on seasonality and the date of cruise. Onboard prices may be different from those shown online. All prices are available for review in the Shore Excursion booklet provided onboard prior to booking."

Anyway you can go to the Excursions Desk once you board and book then, or book through your cabin TV.

Oh yes I remember a bit more now.

IMMEDIATELY you get on board run to the Shore Excursions desk and have a look at the printed shore tours list, and book on the spot, YES you can book through the tv in your room BUT it takes a long time for them to activate the function , they seem to activate it when you leave port,

try the Shore Excursions desk.

I wrote the following for a cruise I did last January..

Here's a brief summary of the ports, and available options, based on previous cruises to this area...

** All prices quoted are Australian Dollars, unless otherwise indicated.

Port Vila

Vila is the Capital of Vanuatu, and the largest town in the country. It is a wharf port, so no need to worry about tendering.

Outside the port gates, you will find hundreds of local drivers with vans and small cars, all vying for your business. Driving cruise passengers around is how they earn their living and you're fairly safe with these drivers (though some of the vans can be a bit dodgy). Expect to pay around $150-200 for the day, with that price covering all passengers in the vehicle. Also outside the port you will find a large number of stalls selling various souvenirs. You can also catch a water taxi, across to Iririki Island ($5) or the town centre ($10).

Vila has the best duty free shopping in the South Pacific, and the best place to get your duty free alcohol is Fung Kuei. There are several duty free shops along the main street, Fung Kuei is the last one on the left (at the top of the hill).

There are a number of places that I would recommend visiting -

• Mele Cascades - An attractive waterfall, with a plunge pool at the bottom for swimming. Look for the cave hidden behind the waterfall on the left. The walk to the cascades can be challenging, particularly the last section where the path goes up the creek (you will get your feet wet). There are a couple of tricky sections, where the path goes up small waterfalls, but the destination is definitely worth the effort. I highly recommend stopping for a Tusker beer at the cafe on your way back down - kids can go for another swim in the creek, while you have a beer (or coffee) and watch them. Entry fees apply - from memory it was around $25pp.
  • Hideaway Island - This is a small island, just off the coast, near the Mele Cascades. Your driver will take you to the ferry, which then takes you across to the island (the ferry runs back and forth all day). The ferry ride is free, but entry to the island costs $10pp. The snorkelling around Hideaway is excellent, and those who are so inclined can visit the "underwater post office" (roughly 50m offshore). Be aware that the "beach" near the snorkelling area consists mainly of dead coral pieces, about the size of a 50c piece, so reef shoes or fins are recommended.
  • Iririki Island - This is a resort in the middle of Port Vila harbour. You can take a $5 water taxi from near the wharf, or catch the ferry (free) across from the town centre. A $20 entry fee applies, but this is then subtracted from any bills you incur on the island (food, drinks, etc). There are a number of activities on the island, including swimming (pools), snorkelling (in the harbour), and a variety of sporting facilities (tennis courts, etc).
  • Eton Blue Hole - This is located to the east of Port Vila, away from Hideaway and the Mele Cascades. It is a vivid blue pool, created by a spring in the limestone rock. There's a rope swing, for those who wish to enter the water that way. Alternatively, you can just lie back and relax in the cool waters.
  • Eton Beach - This is located just beyond the Eton Blue Hole. It's a nice, white sandy beach, where you can go swimming. An entry fee applies (around $5pp). You may be lucky enough to have this place entirely to yourself. Be aware that there is a reasonably strong current in this area, so take care if you're not a strong swimmer.
  • Unnamed Lookout - There is also a lookout, which appears to be unknown to many of the local drivers (depends on which tribe they come from). It's located at the top of the escarpment, just beyond the Mele Cascades, with the entrance on the right hand side of the road. The lookout offers spectacular views over Hideaway Island, and Port Vila harbour. The owner also has a cage where he keeps several of the native green lizards. He's happy to take them out of the cage and let you hold them for photos. An entry fee applies, but it seems to vary depending on whether or not the owner knows your driver - I paid $2pp the first time I visited, and $5pp the second.

Mystery Island

Mystery Island is the southernmost island in the Vanuatu chain. It's a small sand island, roughly 1.5km long by 200m wide - you can walk around the whole island in under 1 hour.

Mystery Island is a tender port, which can make life interesting. Last time I was there the temporary wharf used for tendering had been damaged by bad weather. By midafternoon it became unsafe, due to the pontoons floating on the rising tide. The passengers still ashore at that time had a unique sailaway experience - not watching the ship sail away from the pier, but the pier sailing away from the island!

This port is all about relaxing on the beach - swimming and snorkelling. There's plenty of coral within a short distance of the beach, with plenty of fish to see as well.

Many passengers will opt to have their photo taken in the cannibal cooking pot.

The locals offer a variety of tours, mostly taking you on small boats out onto the lagoon. Supposedly they guarantee that you'll see a turtle, or a shark, or whatever it is that your particular tour offers. Alternatively, you can go for a ride on a sailing boat or canoe.

Cruise lines have recently started offering tours here, though I have no idea where they go or what they do.

Lifou

Lifou is a tender port in the Loyalty Islands. They are part of New Caledonia and are located just to the north of Grand Terre (the main island).

The tender drops you at a wharf on a fairly shallow beach. Many passengers don't go beyond this beach - it's their loss. The beach is fairly shallow and reef shoes are highly recommended. It's the least attractive beach you'll visit on this cruise.

Other options include...

• Jinek Bay - walk up the hill from the wharf site, to the road, and turn left. After a couple of hundred metres, turn right and walk down the hill to Jinek Bay. The snorkelling here is fantastic. Note that numbers are limited (to prevent damage to the coral) and entry fees apply (around $10-15pp). I believe that tickets can be purchased on Princess and P&O ships before going ashore, but I've only been here with Royal Caribbean and they don't have this option.
  • Church - The Notre Dame de Lourdes is located high on the headland, overlooking the bay where the cruise ships anchor. To get there, go up the hill to the road and turn left. Follow the road to the end, then take the walking track up the hill to the chapel. The views are spectacular and I'm told the chapel itself is quite nice, though it was closed the day I visited.
  • Easo - Many passengers walk into the local village and have a look around.
  • Underground Swimming - I have heard about a cave, where you can go swimming underground. I believe it's located somewhere near Easo. I haven't been there myself, and I don't know exactly where it is - or what the entry fees might be.

The locals offer 3 main tours:

• Cliffs of Jokin - These cliffs are supposedly the biggest tourist attraction on Lifou. They are limestone cliffs, about 50m high, on the northern coast of the island. The water below is a lovely shade of blue, with areas of coral evident. You can walk down a set of stairs to the bottom of the cliffs, where you may be able to go swimming if you have time.
  • Vanilla Plantation - This is located north of Easo, on the way to Jokin. The tour takes you for a walk through the plantation (flat and easy, other than the occasional tree root). The guide explains the history of the plantation and how they go about extracting the vanilla.
  • Luecilla Beach - This beach is located on the east coast of Lifou (Easo is on the north-west coast). It's a lovely white sandy beach, near the island's capital of We. The beach is much, much nicer than the one where the tenders deposit you. It's also much less crowded.

Noumea

Noumea is easily the most disappointing port on this cruise. It's the capital of New Caledonia, and it's a smelly, grubby little town with very little going for it. Many passengers won't even bother getting off the ship here.

Cruise ships often have to dock at the container wharf, catching (free) shuttle buses to get to the Cruise Terminal on the edge of town. Downstairs at the cruise terminal is where you can book tours with the local operators. Upstairs you can buy souvenirs, though the souvenir shops in town have a much wider variety and arguably a higher standard of product.

However, assuming it's your first visit, what is there to do?

• Tchou Tchou Train - This is a small "train", which takes you for a tour of the City Highlights. It takes you to two lookouts, one overlooking the city, the other (Ouen Toro lookout) looks out over the New Caledonia lagoon - the world's 2nd largest barrier reef system. The "train" also takes you past Anse Vata Beach and Lemon Bay (Baie de Citron).
  • City Highlights Tour - takes the same route as the Tchou Tchou Train, but in an air conditioned coach instead of an open-air "train" carriage.
  • Tjibaou Cultural Centre - This is visually spectacular, designed by architect Renzo Piano (who also designed the Pacific Dawn, Pacific Jewel and Pacific Pearl). Unfortunately, as a museum it's a dud - it's too far out of town, so too few visitors went there, resulting in many of the exhibits being transferred to the museum in town. Even if you don't go into the museum buildings, a walk around the grounds is definitely rewarding.
  • Duck Island (Isle du Canard) - This is located in the middle of Anse Vata Bay, requiring a boat ride to get there. I haven't visited, but I'm told the snorkelling here is good.
  • Amedee Island - This is the one shore tour I would actually consider booking through the cruise line. Refer to the link for activities. I haven't done this tour, but everyone I know who has says it's absolutely fantastic.
  • HOHO Bus (hop-on-hop-off) - This bus runs continuously from the cruise terminal, past Lemon Bay, to the far end of Anse Vata Beach, and back again. It runs all day. Pay once, get on and off as often as you like.
  • Aquarium - The Noumea Aquarium is located on Anse Vata Bay. You can get here by riding the HOHO bus. It's well worth visiting - possibly the only Noumea attraction I would say that about. Note that they don't take Australian dollars, entry fees are 1000 XPF for adults and 500 XPF for children (XPF = South Pacific Francs).

• 1 month later...