What is the best optional shore excursion from Marseille?

zumbarho

When were you last in Marseille on Oceania? My last experience, within the past year and half or so is that they dock in a very industrial area in the middle of nowhere. They do not let the independent guides in the gated area, you have to walk about a 1/2 mile or so to a lot where they let them park. I really don't remember any taxis or people offering to take you on a tour there. There were a few shops with people selling goods.

2016 October, yes it was in the industrial port but there are a few shops selling tourist souvenirs and alongside there were taxis. We wanted to go into Marseilles and got a very grumpy driver who was telling us how awful it was lots of refugees and showing us photos on his phone of Aix etc and how pretty that was.. all whilst driving very fast out of the port.

He muttered to himself all the way into town, which was lovely and not full of refugees at all as we well knew

We got the taxi as the port shuttle was one every so often (hourly?) and whilst we sere 10 minutes ahead of time they said they had left because it was full.

Any thoughts or advice on one day in Malta? We are open to any advice and have no problem walking around Valletta for 4 or 5 hours if we don't find a Bus Tour. Is there a HOHO Bus in the Vallentta?

There is a HOHO with two routes one going to M'dina which is beautiful. Also lots and lots of taxis at the port gate offering tours

• 2 months later...
2016 October, yes it was in the industrial port but there are a few shops selling tourist souvenirs and alongside there were taxis. We wanted to go into Marseilles and got a very grumpy driver who was telling us how awful it was lots of refugees and showing us photos on his phone of Aix etc and how pretty that was.. all whilst driving very fast out of the port.

He muttered to himself all the way into town, which was lovely and not full of refugees at all as we well knew

We got the taxi as the port shuttle was one every so often (hourly?) and whilst we sere 10 minutes ahead of time they said they had left because it was full.

You're right No Refugees in Marseille, in fact it is a very nice French Port City. We loved everything about it. (Thanks for the great advice before our Cruise)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sadly, the Hypogeum is closed now -

but Heritage Malta is an invaluable resource:

http://heritagemalta.org/

I was very distressed to see this information. Went to the site and tried to book tickets, in order to see when the work might be completed. But the calendar is "stuck" on March 2017... I couldn't advance it, so perhaps they don't know when the work will be done. Do you have any additional information?

We have been there before and weren't planning on returning so soon, but I also have recommended it to people in the past. We will be there in mid-November, so I'd like to think it will be open again by then ... but maybe not.

Thanks for the head's up. I had no idea!

Mura

You're right No Refugees in Marseille, in fact it is a very nice French Port City. We loved everything about it. (Thanks for the great advice before our Cruise)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Glad you enjoyed it, Marseille suffers from a poor reputation that it is working hard to overcome.