Weather on a Transpacific cruise-May

stuffyohr

Hello,

I'm sailing on a two-week cruise from Yokohama Japan to Vancouver, Canada from May 7-May 21. Will it be warm enough to enjoy the pool or should I plan mostly on being inside? Will I need a warm jacket while at sea or will shorts and t-shirts make the cut?

Thank you.

Weather is so difficult to predict. We completed a transatlantic cruise December 2nd and packed warmer clothing. It ended up being in the mid-70's just about every day. Go figure:confused:

We live near Vancouver and it is typically not warm in May ("typically" being the operative word:-) The high is generally in the 50's. According to Holildayweather.com (here is a link http://www.holiday-weather.com/yokohama/averages/may/ ), it could get into the low 70's in May.

I would pack with the expectation of wearing layers. So, if it's cold you are prepared but can take off your jacket, sweatshirt or whatever if/when it warms up during the day.

IMO, you will need a medium-warm jacket. I recently purchased a Hooded Packable Ultra Light Weight Short Down Jacket from Amazon.com that is so light that it is unbelievable and can be stuffed into a corner of your suitcase.

Hope that this helps!

Do you have intermediate port calls in Hokkaido island or eastern Russia (Petropavlovsk) or the Aleutians? Possibly temps will be barely above freezing there. I have read live threads from Transpacifics that sailed just a couple weeks earlier than yours reporting snow on deck. So unless you ship has an indoor pool deck I would not be packing too many shorts and t-shirts--and would definitely add that heavy jacket.

Edited by fishywood

We assume you are taking the Millennium cruise which also heads North to Sapporo (I spent some of my youth in this part of Japan). Your ship will take a pretty Nothern route to get over to Vancouver so we would advise taking plenty of "layers" in case you hit some chilly weather (which is very likely). My best guess will be there will not a lot of "shorts" weather once you get up to Northern Japan and even further north to Kamchatka. The high temps in that place are likely to be in the 40s! In fact, best to take a pair of gloves on your cruise. Your particular cruise is selling for very low prices...we suspect because folks are not wanting such a cool weather cruise after the winter.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner