Wearable Medallions??

happy cruzin

It's been in discussion now for some time. It's really hard to say, but I'd bet they'll probably try it aboard a couple of ship in the very near future.

Personally, I'm kind of "up in the air" about this change. Guess I'll have to try it to see if I like it or not. LOL ;)

"SKY"

It's been in discussion now for some time. It's really hard to say, but I'd bet they'll probably try it aboard a couple of ship in the very near future.

Personally, I'm kind of "up in the air" about this change. Guess I'll have to try it to see if I like it or not. LOL ;)

"SKY"

Read the article earlier today and not sure how much we would like it but we shall see.

Lots of the features are designed to increase their revenue and we are not big drinkers or buy a lot at their specialty shops so not sure how this will affect us.

"SKY"

Me too. As a key card collector - I have mine from every cruise - I'm not sure how I feel about this! :o

The first ship to have this implemented will be on Princess later this year late in the fall. To implement each ship will need 7,000 sensors installed so it will be sometime before a Carnival ship will have it.

This looks like a project that will take years to fully implement.

Take care,

Vinnie

Too bad there isn't a way they can just send all that stuff to like an Apple Watch or Samsung Gear and have it transmit to your cabin door via Bluetooth or something to unlock it and at the POS registers as well. That way you don't have to wear anything else.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Too bad there isn't a way they can just send all that stuff to like an Apple Watch or Samsung Gear and have it transmit to your cabin door via Bluetooth or something to unlock it and at the POS registers as well. That way you don't have to wear anything else.

Interesting thought! I guess that may be the plan as those devices become more common.....

Edited by happy cruzin

There are ways, it just depends how they want to do it. Hotels already have apps that allow you to check in via your smart phone and then use your phone as your room key without even stopping at the front desk. I no longer have to get my wallet out to pay at the drug store or grocery. The medallion sounds like an expensive gimmick to me, I can't imagine wanting one. My phone serves as my boarding pass for airlines, secure access to my work network, my health records etc. Many of these already have apps for the watch as well so I would imagine it's only a matter of time before they catch up.

I'd rather this just be part of the hub app. I don't wear my sign and sail pass for several reasons, the Medallion is that but on steroids.

Like Sitzmark, I can check in to my hotel with my phone & never talk to anyone (although if it's before the cruise I guess I HAVE to as I need to organize the shuttle)

There are ways, it just depends how they want to do it. Hotels already have apps that allow you to check in via your smart phone and then use your phone as your room key without even stopping at the front desk. I no longer have to get my wallet out to pay at the drug store or grocery. The medallion sounds like an expensive gimmick to me, I can't imagine wanting one. My phone serves as my boarding pass for airlines, secure access to my work network, my health records etc. Many of these already have apps for the watch as well so I would imagine it's only a matter of time before they catch up.

That was my first thought too!

I'd rather this just be part of the hub app. I don't wear my sign and sail pass for several reasons, the Medallion is that but on steroids.

Like Sitzmark, I can check in to my hotel with my phone & never talk to anyone (although if it's before the cruise I guess I HAVE to as I need to organize the shuttle)

Exactly!!! :cool:

My understanding is that you don't have to wear the medallion it just has to be with you and can be in your pocket if you wish.

Take care,

Vinnie

Rolling out in multiple years after 2018 on Princess ships (after the first 3 in 2017-2018). Something tells me that by the time this hits the Carnival fleet corporate wide it'll be old tech, like the hotel keys on the big plastic key chains.

Rolling out in multiple years after 2018 on Princess ships (after the first 3 in 2017-2018). Something tells me that by the time this hits the Carnival fleet corporate wide it'll be old tech, like the hotel keys on the big plastic key chains.

Sounds like pretty old tech already to me. Although I never had to go to the front desk and have one of those brass keys on the plastic key chain reprogramed because I stored it too close to my credit card.

Edited by Sitzmark

http://cruisefever.net/0104-carnival-announces-medallion-wearable-device-will-transform-cruising/

YIKES.....seems like key cards will be on their way out! How long do you think it will be until this makes on to the Carnival ships??

Did you miss Laura's post yesterday and the Cruise Critic article?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2438315

A while back, I suggested that Carnival might consider putting the Fun Times out as a downloadable app for peoples phones and the reaction on CC here was less than positive. I also wondered if Carnival would use interactive maps at their elevator banks as other lines were doing on their newer ships.

My, how technology is changing! My ideas seem quaint compared to the multi uses of a wearable medallion.

Medallions would be a quantum leap forward beyond the Hub App. I hope they will be waterproof, I can envision many winding up in bathing suit pockets and bras, and getting unintentionally submerged in a pool or hot tub.

Yeah, what next? Cards that people can tuck into their pockets or wallets?

Nope - next is a sub dermal chip inserted under your arm skin. It will be programmed to dissolve at the end of your cruise.

Every motion, thought and activity you do on the ship will be recorded and sent to Carnival ICloud for metadata collection and analysis.