Wearable Medallions??

happy cruzin

And just wait until it crashes. Can't get into your stateroom, into the bathrooms, can't buy a drink, go ashore, Gamble (there will be a manual backup for that!)

How do you think the sail and sign cards work? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How is using a cell phone different than getting your boarding pass on your phone and getting on a plane? JH has even mentioned, and I have seen it on here as well, that your boarding pass can be found in an email that you can electronically show to the people at the port and it acts the same as the paper one. I haven't done it that way myself, but it is an option from what I understand.

As far as making online purchases on the cell phone, I would think that it could be done through the Hub App which does require your folio number to log into, therefore, identifying the passenger.

It does not matter that you can show port personnel on embarkation the fact still remains the government requires a cruise ship to have passengers names, ship, and sailing dates on a sail and sign card to identify them once on board.

Cell phone technology on its own would defeat some of the most important things Carnival is attempting to achieve. None of these require any action from the passenger as cell phone technology would require.

- attendance at safety drills simplified

- knowing passengers preferences once on board in the dining room, at bars etc

- could be used to easily control access of any time dining

- FTTF easier to control especially during embarkation since it would alert the stewards whether or not a particular passenger should be there.

The list is only limited by what Carnival can dream up.

All of that can be defeated simply by shutting off a cell phone.

Carnival has invested 100 million dollars into this technology and that's what it's going to be though it will use cell phone technology but they will be used as a terminal device.

Take care,

Vinnie

Edited by CruzVinnieCruz

This is all second nature to my 5 year old grandson' date=' perhaps we should rent out his services:)[/quote']

LOL, our 4 year as well. He can whip through on a tablet, phone and anything else electronic. We are still trying to figure out how to turn it on or find the volume button.

I am scared of technology. Fraud and electronics go hand in hand. At least on carnival they have our picture to deter some fraud. I still find charges to my folio I didn't make by way of hand tickets. The old school back up way.

I am just old and slow and will come around eventually. I will learn this stuff about the time the new next thing comes around. Better late than never.:D

Edited by tbbtravels

I will withhold judgement until I actually use the device. It has some very positive aspects. Easier for dining staff to know about food allergies. Entrance to your room will be easier, if you can just keep it in your pocket, wrist, or necklace.

I would prefer it on a necklace. I already wear a Medic Alert necklace but the pacemaker aspect has me slightly concerned. The RF factor would be an issue if worn on a necklace.

I detest the idea of having it on a wrist band. It is just me but I would get the feeling I'm at a theme park and not on a cruise. Even though cruises are turning into theme parks.

I also believe that you won't be able to take the device home with you. I would believe that you would drop it off as you leave the ship and devices would be reused and sent back out. New devices for each cruise would not be cost effective. I also hope they are waterproof.

I'll be sailing Princess late this year and we'll see if they are used on that cruise. I don't think it will go over very well on Seabourn.

Take care,

Mike

It does not matter that you can show port personnel on embarkation the fact still remains the government requires a cruise ship to have passengers names, ship, and sailing dates on a sail and sign card to identify them once on board.

The Princess version has passenger name, ship, and sail date engraved on the medallion exterior. At a guess this allows it to be used in place of the card. It also makes it a suitable replacement for those who retain their cards as souvenirs.

I would prefer it on a necklace. I already wear a Medic Alert necklace but the pacemaker aspect has me slightly concerned. The RF factor would be an issue if worn on a necklace.

I also believe that you won't be able to take the device home with you. I would believe that you would drop it off as you leave the ship and devices would be reused and sent back out. New devices for each cruise would not be cost effective. I also hope they are waterproof.

The pictures on the Princess web site show water dripping off of a medallion. So I expect it has some degree of water resistance.

I have not been able to find any detail on the technology used, but I suspect the medallion contains a passive RFID type device with all the smarts in a computer system into which the sensors feed location data. If so, wearing the medallion close to a pacemaker may not be the best idea. Although there is not a lot of data to suggest that passive RFID posses a serious risk to pacemakers. I don't think the medallion have any display capabilities.

Since name, ship, and sail date are etched on the medallion they cannot be reused. The cost of the actual medallion likely does not exceed that of sail and sign cards.

Edited by broberts

The Princess version has passenger name, ship, and sail date engraved on the medallion exterior. At a guess this allows it to be used in place of the card. It also makes it a suitable replacement for those who retain their cards as souvenirs.

Interesting.....I wondered if they would be expected us to return them at the end of the cruise.

All these newfangled gadgets confuse me. I don't even use a smart phone. Have a jitterbug to call in or out for emergencies only. I almost never turn it on. Have trouble with the tomtom I got. Can't figure out half of social media fb.

Does this thing require a smart phone?

The Princess version has passenger name, ship, and sail date engraved on the medallion exterior. At a guess this allows it to be used in place of the card. It also makes it a suitable replacement for those who retain their cards as.

In an earlier post I made the same point that is why the medallions will be personalized because the government requires it.

Take care,

Vinnie

Sent from my iPad using Forums