Is Velvet ok?

LNOTcruisers

I had posted something and it was not correct.

Here goes, nobody should be made to feel like they have

to leave this site.:(

After reading this thread I (in my opinion) think there have

definitely been some harsh replies.

For the Original Poster, I think if you feel good in your velvet,

wear it.

For J, please don't let anyone chase you away. If you

feel the need for a break I can understand that...I have done

it myself.

But eventually I came back and hope you will too.

ElvisAnd Tracy -

I didn't realize the "haters" term had migrated all the way west already. My husband likes to tell me that I'm a hater when I threaten to flush his "hick-hop" music if I have to listen to B&R or Cowboy Troy one more time. ICK! I think he picked it up from some of his coworkers with teens.

Wow I am so very sorry that you are so upset by all of this. After all it is an opinion board. My apologies. I will never again post my opinions nor give any advice to anyone again. It really is silly for you to be so very angry about it though. If i's no big deal then you should have nothing at all to be so upset about. You know, I have made several friends out here, met them and cruised with them. I have never on any boards seen people react to anything that I have ever written or said quite like this before. I must say that I am totally speechless. I will not post on this thread anymore. :(

Personally, I see no issues with wearing velvet in the Caribbean. It's an elegant fabric and I just don't buy into this whole "you can't wear such-and-such in warm weather" school of thought. Not to say it's wrong, it just doesn't work for me. I live in Phoenix where it is fairly warm all of the time. If I were to succumb to the "if the a/c is on" theory I wouldn't ever get a chance to wear some of my most beautiful fall and winter clothes. The a/c is on here in some way almost all of the time.

I believe that if you are comfortable in it and like the way you look then wear what you like. I don't ever remember getting cited by the fashion police here and I wear velvet throughout the holiday months even when it's 75 degrees outside.

Just my two cents.

From what I have learned on these boards and life in general, usually when people talk about you, it's because you have the ovaries to wear/say/do what they can only dream of wearing/saying/doing. It's called hating, don't do it, it's not pretty!!!

Elvis & Tracey,

Like some others on this board, I too was not familiar with the term haters. I'll never use the term as I generally stay away from slang, but I appreciate being kept in the loop on the latest. Thanks.

However, as far as it's meaning..... being jealous, then I have to say I don't agree with your theory that most people "hate" others who wear clothes that they feel they can't wear. Maybe some do, but please don't lump us all in together.

As Mrs Moose said, there are people in this world who are alot better looking and people that are alot worse looking. I'm 5'6" and a size 6", have nice skin and hair and most people would say, fashionably dressed. If I see a woman in an outfit that I feel is ridiculously revealing and she's dressing so that all eyes are upon her, I don't get jealous.... I'm not a "hater" in your slang. A silly "look at me" outfit often makes me chuckle at her obvious attempts of need for validation. If it's anything, it's amusement.

Wow I am so very sorry that you are so upset by all of this. After all it is an opinion board. My apologies. I will never again post my opinions nor give any advice to anyone again. It really is silly for you to be so very angry about it though. If i's no big deal then you should have nothing at all to be so upset about. You know, I have made several friends out here, met them and cruised with them. I have never on any boards seen people react to anything that I have ever written or said quite like this before. I must say that I am totally speechless. I will not post on this thread anymore. :(

I really don't think you need to be all or nothing in regards to posting. I am not angry, I just don't feel that my comment deserved any comment one way or the other. I normally don't defend myself and I don't think I need to here and neither does anyone else for that matter. I guess what I'm saying is we need to agree to disagree sometimes. Another thing is to consider that what you say is just as important as what someone else says. You may also have a better rapport with some of the other posters and thats fine, but we all deserve the same consideration.

J.

I agree with Lois, no one be made to feel they have to or should leave.

I agree with Jane, C. Amante please don't leave, I too enjoy your posts.

If we don't like an opinion that is written, can't we all agree to disagree as C.Amante writes?

I also agree with Jane, please don't lump us all into a catagory of being jealous, because if I don't like something, why would I want to wear it/own it?

This is an opinion board, if we all thought the same way, this board would not be here and we would not come here to discuss things and ask questions.

The best phrase that comes to mind with a given opinon that I was given a long time ago is "I'll take it under advisement, and then make my own decision and do what I want and feel is right".

I truely believe everyone here feels that way.

Just to point out, the OP came to this board asking our opinions. We gave them.

The OP didn't ask for facts, just opinions.

Agreed. And I personally do not think that the universal "wear whatever makes you happy" is a specific answer to a specific question. If the OP was planning to do that, she probably would not have asked!

Agreed. And I personally do not think that the universal "wear whatever makes you happy" is a specific answer to a specific question. If the OP was planning to do that, she probably would not have asked!

CaviarGal,

You're so right!

This whole thread just confirms what I believe......we should all be naked as God intended. That way there would be no "gosh...what should I pack" or no dress rules for dining rooms......or "do these jeans make my butt look big" Think about it! Freedom from fashion, uncomfortable clothing, mismatched clothes.......but can we keep the accessories??

I really hope you all know this was written tongue-in-cheek.

My family and I are cruising for the first time on NOS over Thanksgiving. Is a black velvet skirt and fancy top ok for formal night? I wasn't sure if velvet would be ok since we will be in the tropics. Thanks for your input!

LNOTcruisers

Todays Sunday supplements

Bealls 'Live the Florida Lifestyle" for those who don't know, it is their saying........ANYWAY www.beallsflorida.com

Pages of VELVET!!!!! And Sweaters and fleece:eek: in semi and tropical

Florida!

So go ahead and wear the velvet. It is the season, even if it doesn't always feel like it:(

Enjoy your cruise

My opinion as someone who has lived in Brazil, Venezuela, Kenya and the Philippines, all tropical countries, is that the stringent rules put forward by some here about not wearing velvet in the Caribbean would cause wonderment by the residents of those countries.

If a man can wear a tuxedo with long-sleeved shirt, cumberbund, French cuffs, and tie, why can't a woman wear velvet? I simply do not buy that a black tux is cooler or more "tropical" than velvet. In fact a tuxedo seems just as out of place in the tropics as does velvet.

Plus there is this factor. The old fashioned velvet used to be very heavy and hot, but newer velvets are lightweight, some are almost sheer and the lovely "burnout" velvets are almost like lace. What is the problem? Can such velvets be hotter than, say, a heavy brocade or a heavily jeweled or sequined gown?

In the tropical countries in which I have lived air conditioning made it possible for men to wear suits and ties to work and travel in them in air conditioned cars. Air conditioning has changed the stringent rules about appropriate fabrics and colors for the tropics. The old rules were based on comfort, not some arbitary idea about some calendar date or some particular latitude.

And one last comment. Fashion rules are in continuous flux, based on new norms and conditions. Just a couple years ago no self respecting woman would be caught dead wearing her lacy satin camisole top as a blouse with a jacket. That was lingerie just months ago, but now that is one of the hottest new fall fashion "must haves." I cringe everytime I see those slip tops, but that is the new style. Velvet in the Caribbean may have been a fashion mistake in the 1950s, but I really don't see anything wrong with it now.

Archived