Last Minute Packing Questions for family of six

donutcop

This is the first time I'm cruising with our four children so packing has taken on a whole new light when trying to figure out what I need and don't need. When it's been just DH and me alone I pack everything if I am on the fence about needing it or not. This time the suitcases are getting overfull!

So one question that's popped up is does NCL have shampoo and condtioner dispensers in their showers? What about body wash?

I'm sure more questions will pop up as I continue to pack....

I cruised with my four children (boys 5 & 6; girls 10 & 12) in December so will share my experience in the hopes it helps!

I packed a bag with my/hubby's clothes, one bag with our sons' clothes and one bag with our daughters' clothes. I also packed one smaller bag with makeup, toiletries, shoes, etc.

I did overpack a bit (ie- there were some clothes that didn't get worn) for my sons but that could be possibly because I did have some laundry done on the day they were offering the stuff your bag for $19.95 promotion.

We were also doing a second week land vacation in Orlando and I wanted to be sure we had some spare room for any souvenirs we might acquire.

I know that the shampoo/conditioner combo in general does a terrible job for my hair and wouldn't work for my daughter's thick, curly hair so I did pack large sample size shampoo and conditioner and I also packed a few bars of soap for the the shower since that is what we prefer.

Finally I brought kids shampoo and body wash for my sons (my youngest has very sensitive skin) and brought body lotion from home.

My mother and father traveled with us (and had my daughters in their cabin) and my mom brought Christmas stickers for the kids to put on the outside of our cabin doors so that they were easily identifiable.

All my kids loved Splash Academy which gave the adults a chance to have some kid-free time.

Hope you enjoy your cruise and good luck packing!

Jill

A very subjective question. Some folks require a lot of stuff, others can follow the NCL guide lines a get by with a gym bag per passenger. No need for socks for anyone, T shirts and shorts for day time will do it all around and if you buy the new materials that can be washed out and dry in an hour's time two sets per person will handle day time. Evening just requires a very slight up grade to a sleeved shirt (polo) and a better grade of shorts. Shoes can be the very basic and those you wear on for embarkation can do for the full trip.

So again it all depends on how casual you wish to be. No one cares so pack really light and enjoy.

I'm assuming you are taking multiple suitcases. :D

Even though it is just two of us traveling, I always try to split our clothes (especially underwear) between the two suitcases...just in case something happens that one of the pieces of luggage gets lost!

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by brookie848

I'm assuming you are taking multiple suitcases. :D

Even though it is just two of us traveling, I always try to split our clothes (especially underwear) between the two suitcases...just in case something happens that one of the pieces of luggage gets lost!

Enjoy your cruise!

Best advice!

Split up the clothing so if a suitcase gets lost you can get by.

Print out the following

Place your name, address, phone number, name of ship, port, departure date, itinerary...Place this in each suitcase at the top as tags can be ripped off.

Print out a reverse itinerary for returning home and place this at the bottom or with your papers you will carry.

You don't want your bags in the lost luggage department store in Alabama even if it's just one.

Don't do what I did. Make sure you recheck everyone's luggage and make sure that everything that is supposed to be there is. I rechecked my daughter's bags and pulled out half of what she packed. She didn't need every tank top and tee shirt she owns. :rolleyes:

But I neglected to double check my husband's bag. I packed everything he could need except underwear.:eek:

I'll be shopping in Puerto Rico tomorrow.:p