venice

jo anne

Take the people mover to Piazza Roma - it's about a 3 minute ride. Then take the vaporetto (water bus) to St. Mark's square. It's a beautiful ride down the Grand Canal. If I recall you can take the fast line, about 25 minutes, or the slow, which is about 45 minutes. The slower vaporetto has more stops, but they both go the same way.

While I am sure you can find a water taxi as the PP suggests but I am more frugal and found the vaparetto much more affordable and interesting. Think of them as Venice's buses or subway cars. They have set stops (St. Mark's is one) and some are express and some stop at each location. I believe the closest stop to the Port is in front of the train station which is over the bridge after you get off the people mover from the port.

If time isn't a big issue, I would suggest wandering from the port to St. Marks getting lost in Venice is IMHO the best way to become part of Venice. There are typically signs on the corner of most buildings that point to points of interest with arrows to send you in the right direction. Once you are at St. Marks, you can easily take a vaparetto back towards the port.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/index.html you may want to take a look at this link to get an idea of transportation and lodging options. If you have the time it's fun to take the people mover and then wander around eventually making it to St Marks Square. If pressed for time then water taxi will be the fastest but also the most expensive. I think we paid about 80 euro for water taxi from our hotel at St Marks to cruise port. It's the same price regardless of number of passengers though so may be worth considering for larger group. There's also an Aluguana (sp ?) ticket office at the port that sells tickets direct from port to St Marks Square for 8 euro pp. I think it takes about 20 minutes total and drop off is at St Marks via grand canel.

thats great do you have to book it or can you pay on the day?

We didn't have anything booked in advance. I think we paid at a kiosk where we boarded the taxi, and it may actually have been the vaporetto, I'm really not sure anymore. I just remember getting on a small boat with a bunch of other people and getting dropped off a St Marks Square.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We didn't have anything booked in advance. I think we paid at a kiosk where we boarded the taxi, and it may actually have been the vaporetto, I'm really not sure anymore. I just remember getting on a small boat with a bunch of other people and getting dropped off a St Marks Square.
Sounds like you caught the Alilaguna water shuttle, not a water taxi. (Did it look like this?) A water taxi is normally just for you (like a taxi on land) and it holds maybe 12 people at most.

Sounds like you caught the Alilaguna water shuttle, not a water taxi. (Did it look like this?) A water taxi is normally just for you (like a taxi on land) and it holds maybe 12 people at most.

Yes, that's exactly what we took. I don't recall what we paid for it, but I'm sure it wasn't too expensive. I remember them being docked directly in front of the ship, but I might be mistaken; this was 4 years ago.

A Big Thankyou to everyone who replied you've been a great help we are really looking forward to this trip and all this information will help . thank you all once again:):):)