Thomson going bust

Not very likely, the latest trading results (December 16) are easily accessible on the TUI website and show how the Thomson Cruise brand has managed to increase EBIT quite nicely over the last 3 years.

Plus they are part of the worlds largest travel company which offers extra security.

How likely is it that Thomson could cease trading like Swan Hellenic and Voyages of Discovery.

The Thomson brand is scheduled to disappear this year in favour of parent company TUI, who, as Grez says, is massive, a worldwide holiday company. Their share price is performing well.

So no chance in my opinion.

Anyone remember Clarksons???

I remember Clarksons - a small travel company who were a subsidiary of Court Line who went bust in 1974. Court Line were based at Luton and had about 6 aircraft painted in pink, green and yellow.

Thomson also have their HQ in Luton but are a subsidiary of TUI, one of the biggest travel companies in the world.

Jake 26

I used to work for Clarksons, one of the best times of my life. In those days they weren't so 'small', they were the largest U.K. tour operator. In fact, Thomson became big because of their demise.

Just because a company is large doesn't mean it won't go into liquidation, particularly in the present climate.

Jake 26

I used to work for Clarksons, one of the best times of my life. In those days they weren't so 'small', they were the largest U.K. tour operator. In fact, Thomson became big because of their demise.

Just because a company is large doesn't mean it won't go into liquidation, particularly in the present climate.

I was working at Luton Airport at the time of Court Line's demise and there was real cut throat competition between the travel companies as you no doubt recall. The cost of a week in Majorca cost pittance and clearly something had to give.Clarkson had run up enormous losses and Court Line bailed them out.

Court Line however were running Tristars and BAC 111s while Thomson had 4 engined prop driven Brittanias which were more economical. They had also purchased travel agent Lunn Poly which gave them an edge. Court Line ran up some serious debts. When they went bust in August 1974 I watched their last plane land from the Caribbean and their creditors were waiting on the apron to stick their impound notices on the aircraft.

I agree with you that Clarkson were a bigger company and Thomson grew enormously in later years because of their demise

You are right in saying no-one is safe in today's climate.

Edited by jake 26
typo

Jake 26

Oh, yes, I remember everything you say. I was working in Ibiza when the first Court Line DC10 arrived. Initially, they put up steps for passengers to disembark which were far too short! Oh, those were such fun times.

Two very good friends of mine arrived back on the plane from the Caribbean. They had been the reps there and had to sort everything out. Was it St Lucia, I can't remember now, but it was almost 50 years ago.

Yes it was from St Lucia, but I seem to remember it diverted to an airport in the US due to a tech problem. Allegedly the captain found out about the company going bust while they were there but decided he would take off to get his pax home. That may be hearsay however.

What did happen though was as soon as all the pax were off they closed up the aircraft and put seals across the doors because there was a dispute among the several creditors who had stuck their liens on the fuselage.

It then sat there for over a month in summer weather with full toilets, food still on board etc

When they did open it the guys had to rush off to get protection suits and face masks. It must have been awful.

It was a big shame the company failed because they gave a lot of pleasure to a lo of people.

Interesting he wants to get away from the Thomson image. The comments on P&O Ventura over xmas suggested that many people see Thomson ships as being full of noisy drunks eating inferior food, definitely a 'peasants' cruise line. Rebranding to TUI might help, but they have to move their product somewhat up market.

We've been PandO stalwarts since 2004 but after we tried Discovery in early October we are converted.

On our last cruise on Ventura we witnessed drunkenness, bad language and the food standard had fallen.

On Discovery we felt more relaxed, had better food and entertainment, met some great people and found the ship suited us perfectly. The range of accommodation with a good number of balconies is excellent.

Added to that we can join a cruise from our local airport.

So in my opinion the product is good, and if they can retain that standard the word will spread. Perhaps the rebranding will be accompanied by some relevant advertising.

TUI have already done that with a lot of hotels with their Sensimar range etc, the investment has been extensive but appears to be successful.

Edited by jake 26
typo

We've been PandO stalwarts since 2004 but after we tried Discovery in early October we are converted.

On our last cruise on Ventura we witnessed drunkenness, bad language and the food standard had fallen.

On Discovery we felt more relaxed, had better food and entertainment, met some great people and found the ship suited us perfectly. The range of accommodation with a good number of balconies is excellent.

Added to that we can join a cruise from our local airport.

So in my opinion the product is good, and if they can retain that standard the word will spread. Perhaps the rebranding will be accompanied by some relevant advertising.

TUI have already done that with a lot of hotels with their Sensimar range etc, the investment has been extensive but appears to be successful.

This is the important issue. Back in July Discovery was excellent and I like the food and entertainment. The social program for solo cruisers was the best I have seen and the range of drinks available with the AI was good. Apparently this year the ship is all inclusive and I hope the corporate bean counters are not taking the opportunity to cheapen the product. I will find out in May.

Nil chance of them going under given the headline firm is TUI.....

That said they must be having trouble filling cabins as I have no end of emails offering quite handy discounts on cruises £200 in one case with a free AI...

Have cruised with Thomson for the last 6 winters but not this one (MSC and Norwegian this year (and last)) so their database must have flagged me up.....

CRUISING LINDA

No, size doesn't matter. I've read in the travel trade press that many think it a bad idea to ditch the Thomson name. It is a well established name here. If you asked Mr Average would they book a holiday with TUI they would probably say 'who'?

For years TUI has been a big name in the package holiday business in Germany and to a lesser extent in Holland but not UK.

Time will tell.

I wonder if the size of the company is relevant though. Who would have thought we would have lost Woolworths, Littlewoods and BHS, all stalwarts of out childhood :eek:

They all had two things in common - they were predominantly high street stores and they didn't adapt to the changing consumer world, particularly the rise of the internet for shopping research and online purchasing.

I notice that the TUI MD in the Travel Weekly article makes much of how much consumers use digital media for researching and booking holidays.

Biggest threat to Thomson is their appalling customer service department. Try to get a reply from them to a complaint and you just draw a blank. We are still trying to get an excursion repayment for October 3 and they still have to deal with it.

They all had two things in common - they were predominantly high street stores and they didn't adapt to the changing consumer world, particularly the rise of the internet for shopping research and online purchasing.

I notice that the TUI MD in the Travel Weekly article makes much of how much consumers use digital media for researching and booking holidays.

Thomson Cruises is stuck in the past. There's no way to see which cabins are available, yet they're happy to take money off you to pre-book a cabin when you don't know whether you'd want any of those that are left. Crazy.