Steep price raise of cover charges

brell

I was reading the Q&A section on the Cunard site and saw that the cover charges in the alternative restaurants on QE (at least) have gone up quite a bit.

The Verandah cover charge has been raised from $30 to $45 = 50% raise.

The Lido themed evening cover charge has been raised from $10 to $17.50 = 75% raise. (Now there are 5 different food themes instead of 3).

Wow! That is rather steep, even for an Icelander ;)

Maybe. Last time I checked they were about $10

Used to be

$10.00 for the first night including add-ons (service charges)

Other nights @$10.00 plus add-ons = $15.00

IMHO the new menus on QE & QV are not as good as the old ones. They now look to "theatre" the food rather than quality and variety. Prime and other favourites have disappeared from QE and QV.

You can ask to have the adds (about $5.00) removed if you wish.

Now the Lido Alternative Menus are identical across the fleet, mirrowing QM2

Do not consider a $2.50 increase on the basic dining price as being steep.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

QM2 alternative restaurants now charge $17.50 per person. Keep in mind that you have already paid for dinner in your assigned dining venue as part of your cruise fare...so with the additional cost charged by the alternative dining venue, you'd expect to have a really good dinner. Disabuse yourself of that thought!

While the ambiance is much improved in the 'alternative dining venue' after the refit, and the service is good, the food is quite disappointing, all things considered. -S.

For prices, see https://ask.cunard.com/help/life-on-board/cover_charges

Edited by Salacia

For our December cruise on QV we booked The Verandah at $35 per person, about a month later when friends went to book via the VP the price had gone up to $49.95. Steep increase... glad I only paid the $35 as I don't think it was worth more than that. Found The Verandah on QE far better.

Edited by GP&LK

Unfortunately we did not make it to the meet. But we thoroughly enjoyed our first experience of Cunard. I'm sure we will book again if the price is right. Had a great time and met some lovely people on board.

Janet and David

QM2 alternative restaurants now charge $17.50 per person. Keep in mind that you have already paid for dinner in your assigned dining venue as part of your cruise fare...so with the additional cost charged by the alternative dining venue, you'd expect to have a really good dinner. Disabuse yourself of that thought!

While the ambiance is much improved in the 'alternative dining venue' after the refit, and the service is good, the food is quite disappointing, all things considered. -S.

I remember when they were free!

I agree, Salacia. The ship has benefited from the re-mastering in many ways, with the exception of food which remains a weakness. It was a pleasure finally meeting you, however briefly during the CC gathering.

I agree, Salacia. The ship has benefited from the re-mastering in many ways, with the exception of food which remains a weakness. It was a pleasure finally meeting you, however briefly during the CC gathering.

Thanks Bobby, it was a pleasure meeting you too...for some reason, I pictured you as an older gentlemen rather than the youthful man that you are ;)

Now we owe each other a drink on a dark and stormy night onboard QM2! - Until then...

Best wishes,

-S

Edited by Salacia