AT&T users at sea- need advice

Kristi Barber

I have a question for those with AT&T service. We have the unlimited data, text, calls plan currently with them. We just added the North American Canada/Mexico unlimited for free. Does that mean that mean we should be able to text/call without additional charge at sea also? Would we also need to purchase the wifi package on ship or will our roam (free in Mexico) just use CellatSea and we wouldn't have to purchase wifi package?

We also have the option for $40 to add AT&T Passport to cover Belize/Honduras but would that be necessary if we do purchase wifi package and just imessage?

Looking for advice from AT&T users on how you have done that on cruise?

We use AT&T, but dont need to be online at sea. We use the iconcierge app for messaging each other (7.95 per device, I think). And just use wifi in ports outside the US.

Do you have a job that requires being available 24/7 while on vacation?

We use AT&T, but dont need to be online at sea. We use the iconcierge app for messaging each other (7.95 per device, I think). And just use wifi in ports outside the US.

Do you have a job that requires being available 24/7 while on vacation?

If we use the iconcierge app to message each other, do we need to get the wifi package also? I am just so confused at how it all works. LOL

We just need to be able to keep in touch while on the ship with varied people going different directions due to varied interest. Also need to check in on parent and grandbaby a few times while on cruise.

$7.95 per device for texting each other using iconcierge is much more reasonable. That's about all we would need while on board. Texting/messaging

The son would want to Facebook but could do that in PORTS with free wifi areas.

I have AT&T. I stick to using my cell phone only on land - utilizing "free wifi" when available for emails and the internet. For text messaging, it is 50 cents for each outgoing text and free incoming (so my outgoing text messages are long since they are 50 cents no matter the length). They are constantly changing the rules so you should call AT&T - they have a dedicated international desk and they are very patient. They will spend a long time answering your questions. And remember to understand the "verbage". I haven't called the help desk recently, but "from land" used to mean within 9 miles of shore. That could have changed.

As a general rule, including AT&T Wireless, data plan do NOT cover cruise ship's satellite broadband, generally considered international roaming - best to confirm & re-verify with your carrier, based on specific details & exclusions of your plan, as there are numerous plans with each carrier + add-ons; and, they changed all the time. Some might have an old, grandfathered plan ... unlikely or premium all inclusive plan (and, if true - you should know already, when in doubt, don't assume - we can best offer "general" advice & tips)

One-time activation & per device fee, good for duration of each sailing only has risen to ... at least $9.95 or $9.99 or higher ($12.95 or 12.99) depending on the ship. The old rate was $7.95 but has increased about a year ago, more or less - you will be "registered" & issued an unique 8 digits number for onboard use - calling & texting within the ship via the inTRAnet WiFi. No further charges with that. Purchase or using paid WiFi, by the minutes or MB data used, will grant access to the inTERnet - to surf the web, access email, etc. You do this by putting your device into Airplane Mode, make sure roaming data is disabled; then, turn ON your WiFi data only - read your instructions manual or speak to the AT&T Int'l Help Desk via 611 while you are still at home.

North America & Passport Plans, etc. are for on-shore/land-based coverage in Mexico, Canada & other places as specific, NOT for high seas away from land towers of AT&T's roaming partners, i.e. BTC or DigiCel, Rogers, etc.

Generally speaking, in "foreign" ports, if you turn on your device (no longer in airplane mode) - you will get a text-based or SMS warning/welcome notice from the local carrier, reminding you of the per minutes calling rate and/or text messaging and data rates - most devices would also show the "new" partner carrier and the roaming triangle/signal symbol will be ON the display bar.

My favorite story is one of my nephew drove up to Canada, excited with his iPhone & uploaded only a handful of pictures to FB to share with his friends; and my niece/his baby "sister" responsible for the AT&T Family Share plan ended up with an extra $600+ on the monthly statement the following month ... and, they had automatic bill payment, LOL. Satellite data on a cruise ship is expensive, especially with NCL relative to Carnival & Royal, etc.

When in doubt, turn off those device once the ship leave your home port - and, see the ship's internet cafe manager or staff on duty there, they are typically friendly, helpful and can help check your configuration - before you start running up huge charges ... delayed billing is common so don't worry, it's not "due" until 2 or 3 months after coming home, depending on your carrier's billing cycle.

Edited by mking8288

As a general rule, including AT&T Wireless, data plan do NOT cover cruise ship's satellite broadband, generally considered international roaming - best to confirm & re-verify with your carrier, based on specific details & exclusions of your plan, as there are numerous plans with each carrier + add-ons; and, they changed all the time. Some might have an old, grandfathered plan ... unlikely or premium all inclusive plan (and, if true - you should know already, when in doubt, don't assume - we can best offer "general" advice & tips)

One-time activation & per device fee, good for duration of each sailing only has risen to ... at least $9.95 or $9.99 or higher ($12.95 or 12.99) depending on the ship. The old rate was $7.95 but has increased about a year ago, more or less - you will be "registered" & issued an unique 8 digits number for onboard use - calling & texting within the ship via the inTRAnet WiFi. No further charges with that. Purchase or using paid WiFi, by the minutes or MB data used, will grant access to the inTERnet - to surf the web, access email, etc. You do this by putting your device into Airplane Mode, make sure roaming data is disabled; then, turn ON your WiFi data only - read your instructions manual or speak to the AT&T Int'l Help Desk via 611 while you are still at home.

North America & Passport Plans, etc. are for on-shore/land-based coverage in Mexico, Canada & other places as specific, NOT for high seas away from land towers of AT&T's roaming partners, i.e. BTC or DigiCel, Rogers, etc.

Generally speaking, in "foreign" ports, if you turn on your device (no longer in airplane mode) - you will get a text-based or SMS warning/welcome notice from the local carrier, reminding you of the per minutes calling rate and/or text messaging and data rates - most devices would also show the "new" partner carrier and the roaming triangle/signal symbol will be ON the display bar.

My favorite story is one of my nephew drove up to Canada, excited with his iPhone & uploaded only a handful of pictures to FB to share with his friends; and my niece/his baby "sister" responsible for the AT&T Family Share plan ended up with an extra $600+ on the monthly statement the following month ... and, they had automatic bill payment, LOL. Satellite data on a cruise ship is expensive, especially with NCL relative to Carnival & Royal, etc.

When in doubt, turn off those device once the ship leave your home port - and, see the ship's internet cafe manager or staff on duty there, they are typically friendly, helpful and can help check your configuration - before you start running up huge charges ... delayed billing is common so don't worry, it's not "due" until 2 or 3 months after coming home, depending on your carrier's billing cycle.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

I checked and our North American plan covers free data and texting on land in Mexico even with the international roaming. Calls are $1.00 per minute.

WE will use iconcierge on the ship to text/call each other and that is a lot cheaper and we won't have to get wifi on board. We will just use our free data in Mexico ports or any free wifi we encounter at the various ports. May just have to wait until we get back to NOLA to upload all those fantastic pictures for friends and family. LOL

Just be very, very careful to turn off data roaming while on the ship. If you accidentally leave any phone on, AT&T (not NCL) charges you $8.19 per MB (that's Mega byte). Leaving your phone on could pull 100 MB of data in one night (depending on your type of email). You do the math.

Just be very, very careful to turn off data roaming while on the ship. If you accidentally leave any phone on, AT&T (not NCL) charges you $8.19 per MB (that's Mega byte). Leaving your phone on could pull 100 MB of data in one night (depending on your type of email). You do the math.

Airplane mode on the ship only, right? On airplane mode it won't roam...right?

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

I checked and our North American plan covers free data and texting on land in Mexico even with the international roaming. Calls are $1.00 per minute.

WE will use iconcierge on the ship to text/call each other and that is a lot cheaper and we won't have to get wifi on board. We will just use our free data in Mexico ports or any free wifi we encounter at the various ports. May just have to wait until we get back to NOLA to upload all those fantastic pictures for friends and family. LOL

So here is my 2 cents..I am not a Techy! but here is my experience on the Breakaway with AT&T. I had the expanded plan...based on my past cruises on other lines out of NYC I thought I was good to go. I was still in port in NYC when I went to cellular at sea....I had the NCL Iconcierge which worked well for me with family on ship. I don't know if I tried other areas of the ship while in port I would still get cellular at sea...I was a bit surprised. When we got to Port Canaveral I thought I would have cell service and was still cellular at sea. Again not my experience with other cruise lines but I am not going to say its a NCL thing. I don't know why I had this experience when others didn't....what I suggest is pay attention to the messages your phone is giving you..if it states cellular at sea ......believe it or else you may have very high fees.

I'm on Breakaway right now and have AT&T. Before leaving I went into the store and asked about using my phone on board. They currently do not have a plan that will work on Norwegian while out to sea. They have it in place on other lines but not Norwegian yet.

Do yourself a favor and buy the internet plan through the ship. Once you are onboard, turn off Wi-Fi, turn on Airplane mode, and then turn Wi-Fi back on. Then connect to the ships internet.

I don't know about the other ships in the fleet, but I find the internet on Breakaway to be super fast.